3di shields: Bubble vs. standard (non-CalTrans)

Started by Bickendan, January 17, 2010, 03:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Quote from: TheStranger on August 31, 2010, 01:51:28 PM
Quote from: Quillz on August 31, 2010, 01:45:15 PM
Yeah, that's how California does 3di shields for the most part. Every I-405 shield I've ever seen has looked like that. CalTRANS loves Series D... They shrink it down for everything rather than using Series C.

Here's a recent Series C sign, I think:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/csampang/4807126693/in/set-72157624519667042/
But those lack the state name. They use shrunken-down Series D on the shield with the state name, which make up the majority of Interstate shields for both 2di and 3di in California.

hbelkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 31, 2010, 04:24:04 AM

The error bubble shields, which nobody likes...

I like them. Better than the "regular" 3di shield.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2010, 05:50:21 PM

how do you feel about the 21x18/42x36?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 01, 2010, 06:10:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2010, 05:50:21 PM

how do you feel about the 21x18/42x36?

Not sure. Would have to see examples labeled as such to compare and judge.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2010, 06:19:09 PM

Not sure. Would have to see examples labeled as such to compare and judge.

scroll up about 20 posts in this thread.  the California I-105s I highlight are 21x18 and 42x36; the 405s are 30x25
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Would these be considered bubble shields?

To me, these look like the shapes of frogs feet.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Bickendan

Bickendan

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 31, 2010, 11:56:47 AM

I'd rather see a '61 spec bubble shield.

there, I've said it.

I thought I saw one of the Four Horsemen the other day, but I wasn't sure why.

Quillz

Sorry to revive this topic, but I'm actually starting to like the non-standard angular shields that are fairly common in California and some other states. I first noticed one when driving on I-5 between Wheeler Ridge and Castaic the other day, and, like most things, didn't think much of it or even care much for it at first. But now that I've seen it a few times, I think it has some merit.

But then I've looked at other shield shapes that I like and I noticed that those, and the angular Interstate shields, have a fairly common bond of having sharp joints, straight points, etc. I found that all the shields I prefer have a more squared or angled appearance than round, hence why I think I'm really preferring the angular shields to the standard.

(I figured it was better to post this comment in this well-established topic rather than my other one.)

Quillz

Another bump to an ancient topic, but here's a "bubble 3dus" shield that I made:

As far as non-standard bubble shields go, I actually think it looks nice and has a fairly good aesthetic layout. Though this isn't a real standard, I have noticed it's very similar looking to a lot of the cutout 3dus shields in California.

Compare it to this:

They are very similar, although that one is (obviously) based on a real standard.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.