News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PBS educational shows you watched in school

Started by bandit957, January 15, 2019, 07:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 24, 2019, 12:28:39 PM
Remember this? This was a song, not a TV show, but here it goes...

"When you're headed for first, and you feel somethin' burst, diarrhea..."

"Sittin' in the tub, and the water turns to mud, diarrhea..."

"Sittin' on the pot, and you give it all you got, diarrhea..."

"You think it's really gross, but it's really good on toast, diarrhea..."

"Comin' home from Mexico, when you stop at Texaco, diarrhea..."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

rawmustard

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 24, 2019, 12:02:56 PM
Since no one has mentioned it yet, I remember that Anderson Cooper got his start on Channel One.

As well as Lisa Ling, Tracy Smith, and Serena Altschul (at least these are the ones I can remember who are still involved in TV journalism in some fashion, the latter two both still with CBS Sunday Morning).

abefroman329

Quote from: rawmustard on January 24, 2019, 12:43:50 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 24, 2019, 12:02:56 PM
Since no one has mentioned it yet, I remember that Anderson Cooper got his start on Channel One.

As well as Lisa Ling, Tracy Smith, and Serena Altschul (at least these are the ones I can remember who are still involved in TV journalism in some fashion, the latter two both still with CBS Sunday Morning).
Huh, didn't know that.  I remember Serena Altschul from MTV News, but I don't know if that was before or after Channel One.

I can't say I ever would have thought Mo Rocca would do so well on CBSSM, but his stories are always delightful to watch.

bandit957

I remember another show which I don't remember the name of, but I think the host's name was Phyllis Martin. I think she was also a business reporter on some of the TV stations.

I think her PBS show was about great inventions. I remember she showed a clip of a glassblower blowing glass, and she said something like, "Your cheeks may puff out like this when you are blowing bubbles with bubble gum." I burst out laughing!

abefroman329

They really should call them glassbubblers.

briantroutman

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 24, 2019, 09:03:09 AM
Quote from: lepidopteran on January 23, 2019, 09:43:02 PMRegarding Channel One; although that was after my time, I remember what the premise was.  The company provides the TVs and the satellite-receiving equipment for free, in exchange for a daily, mandatory viewing of their news report by the student body.
Unless the TVs and the satellite dishes could be used for something other than watching Channel One, I don't see how this was a good deal for the school.

My high school got Channel One around the time when I was in 10th grade (circa 2000). I don't know for certain who paid the tab for what components, but as part of the rollout, each classroom (that served as a homeroom) was outfitted with a mid-sized CRT TV (about 25") and VHS VCR. Prior to that, the school had a limited number of TVs and VCRs, mounted in pairs on rolling carts, that would be wheeled into rooms as needed when teachers wanted to show videos in class.

The new TVs that were installed as part of the Channel One program were connected via coaxial cable and apparently able to receive some assortment of standard TV channels. I remember that vividly because this then-new TV connectivity allowed nearly everyone in my school to watch United 175 crash into the south tower of the World Trade Center live (until the principal, sounding somewhat flustered, came on the PA system and announced that all TVs were to be turned off for the remainder of the day). But aside from 9/11, teachers used the new Channel One-installed TVs when showing videos in class.

The Channel One News program was run during our roughly 20-minute homeroom period at the very end of the day. I just recall the program and the accompanying in-your-face advertisements as seeming to try too hard (and failing) to be cool and "extreme" , in the lexicon of the day. Even as a teenager, the program's journalism seemed lightweight to the point of making USA Today look intellectual. Assuming that Channel One laid out a hefty sum to get their programming into the classroom, they didn't get their money's worth. Many homeroom teachers would forget and turn on the TV late...or not at all. Eventually, the principal started to make announcements reminding teachers to turn the TV on, but even then, not all complied. Most students ignored the TV, and frequently the afternoon announcements would cut Channel One short.

SCtoKC

Kindergarten: The Letter People
1st Grade: Reading Rainbow
3rd-5th Grade: Bill Nye the Science Guy
6th-8th Grade: Channel One

I also remember watching Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? at home in the afternoons.  I still think Carmen Sandiego is the reason I love geography.

1995hoo

Quote from: bandit957 on January 24, 2019, 12:04:54 PM

"This is a song about colors...Colors...You see 'em all around...Red on a stop sign, green on a tree...Blue in the sky and sea..."
No.

When you're standin' on the ladder and you feel something splatter...

Also, this is on point:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 24, 2019, 09:38:37 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 24, 2019, 12:04:54 PM

"This is a song about colors...Colors...You see 'em all around...Red on a stop sign, green on a tree...Blue in the sky and sea..."
No.

When you're standin' on the ladder and you feel something splatter...

Also, this is on point:

Is that Baby Blues?

I only know the verses related to baseball.

1995hoo

That is indeed Baby Blues.

Other verses I can recall:

When you're drivin' in your Chevy and your pants feel heavy....
When you're up against the wall and you feel somethin' fall....
When it's runnin' down your leg like a soft slimy egg....

bandit957

"When you're sittin' on the toilet, and you think you just destroyed it."

roadman65

There once was a program called Ripple.  It was a PBS show right around the Partridge Family/ Brady Bunch era.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on January 24, 2019, 10:27:50 PM
There once was a program called Ripple.  It was a PBS show right around the Partridge Family/ Brady Bunch era.
Was it sponsored by Ripple?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SCtoKC on January 24, 2019, 05:46:56 PM
Kindergarten: The Letter People
1st Grade: Reading Rainbow
3rd-5th Grade: Bill Nye the Science Guy
6th-8th Grade: Channel One

I also remember watching Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? at home in the afternoons.  I still think Carmen Sandiego is the reason I love geography.
Channel One was canceled about 6 months ago, must not be popular anymore as I have never heard of other people doing it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bandit957

I remember a lot of shows like 'Ripples' and 'Inside Out' were on very old-style film, almost like a home movie from the 1960s.

bandit957

"Sittin' on the sink, and something starts to stink..."

dcharlie

Henry

I used to watch quite a lot of those shows on WTTW in Chicago, mostly Sesame Street, The Electric Company and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Quote from: dcharlie on January 25, 2019, 11:29:47 AM
Does anyone remember Zoom?

I recall there being a show of that name and I don't remember anything at all about it.

bandit957

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 25, 2019, 12:08:34 PM
Quote from: dcharlie on January 25, 2019, 11:29:47 AM
Does anyone remember Zoom?

I recall there being a show of that name and I don't remember anything at all about it.

It was a 1970s kids' show that had a bunch of kids wearing striped shirts. I don't remember anything else about it.

There was a later version too, maybe 10 or 15 years ago, but I never saw it.

dcharlie

I can't remember a lot about Zoom either.  But I know I loved it.  I did see the redone version, but wasn't impressed.  That could be because it truly wasn't as good, or I am much older now!

briantroutman

SCTV did a biting parody of ZOOM (and other similar shows) called Pre-Teen World.

My younger sister was a big fan of the '90s version, so I saw quite a few episodes of it. I've seen a few clips of the '70s version, and from what I've seen, two versions were very similar.

The show primarily took place on a single set (black background and giant, brightly colored set pieces including huge letters spelling out ZOOM), and it was anchored by about half a dozen pre-teens who would open and close the show with a choreographed song and dance (the show's theme song). The kids would do a few kitchen science demonstrations, sometimes household craft or art projects, and usually a viewer mail segment. There were some taped segments featuring "regular kids"  out in the real world, and a few non-sequitur comedic sketches scattered throughout.

One of ZOOM's signatures was a pretty easy to crack secret language called "Ubbi Dubbi" –where a spoken message would be obscured by adding "ub"  before every vowel sound in a word. So "Tune into ZOOM"  would become "tub-oom ubin-tubo zub-oom" . Occasionally, the cast would perform entire sketches in Ubbi Dubbi.

bandit957

It seems like the '70s version of 'Zoom' did a segment about bubble gum once. Or maybe I'm thinking of 'Studio See'.

abefroman329

1995hoo

Quote from: bandit957 on January 20, 2019, 01:49:55 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 20, 2019, 10:44:13 AM
I vaguely remember some other educational show about nutrition. Again, no idea what network it was on, and I don't know what it was called, but I remember vaguely there was some sequence where there was a musical riff that repeated something like four or five times, with the characters singing the name of one of the four basic food groups after each repetition and the piece finally ending with them singing, "and that's a balanced diettttttttt.....to UUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSS!"

That might have been 'Mulligan Stew'. It sounds vaguely familiar.

I finally got around to looking this up on YouTube. You are indeed correct. I find it of mild interest to note that the stadium scenes here are rather obviously (to anyone from the DC area) RFK Stadium.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.