News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 31, 2017, 01:45:26 PM
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2017/10/the_oddity_of_the_twin_parkway_service_areas_that_are_on_private_property.html#incart_river_home

On the Garden State Parkway, there's actually 2 privately owned gas stations that don't follow any of the NJ Turnpike Authority's normal rules about service areas, pricing and such.  This article mentions how that came to be.
Interesting. Why were the service areas built along the NJDOT section private property? Weren't they on the parkway's ROW? Also, back when I worked up in that area, the Exxon price seemed to always be identical to the NJTA service areas, while the Shell price varied (sometimes lower, sometimes higher).

storm2k

Drove through Exit 129 today, and there are new small green signs marking ramps and the frontage/service (not sure what we should really call them) roads. Those green signs have mileage on them. No idea what their purpose is, but it's a new thing.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on November 19, 2017, 08:28:58 PM
Drove through Exit 129 today, and there are new small green signs marking ramps and the frontage/service (not sure what we should really call them) roads. Those green signs have mileage on them. No idea what their purpose is, but it's a new thing.
That's new to me, and I'm supposed to know all the signs on that road. Someone get me a photo, STAT!

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on November 19, 2017, 08:28:58 PM
The Parkway likes to call what everybody else calls C/D roads as service roads hence the project report on the 88 and 89 consolidation for the C/D roadways when it was being told to the public before construction.  I though they were doing the Texas thing at grade, but apparently it meant the common collector distributor system.

The 129 frontage roads may be just service roads as far as the NJTA is concerned.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Here is a slightly blurry shot I managed to get of one of the new signs when I drove through the interchange today. This one is on the NB frontage road at the split for the Turnpike ramp.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on November 25, 2017, 05:27:38 PM
Here is a slightly blurry shot I managed to get of one of the new signs when I drove through the interchange today. This one is on the NB frontage road at the split for the Turnpike ramp.

Well, that's interesting. I'll have to bring this up to see if there's a new standard to add to their drawings.

SignBridge

I think I get what it means. The "129 NBE" is probably the NJTA's designation for that specific service road. It might mean 'Northbound East" or something like that. On the Turnpike they have similar designations for the dual roadways in each direction.

For instance NSO means North-to-South Outer roadway. And SNI means South-to-North Inner roadway. Similarly, at the "mixing-bowl" just south of Exit-15E there is a separate designation for every connector-ramp. SNOE means South-to-North Outer to East leg. And I believe WNSI means West (leg) to North-to-South Inner roadway. Or something like that. If anyone knows different, please correct me.

But getting back to the GSP, that's probably what those mileage markers are, and show the mileage from the beginning of that particular roadway.

mrsman

Quote from: 7/8 on July 15, 2017, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: storm2k on July 12, 2017, 01:48:53 AM
Here is the sign at the new exit 125:

I guess I'm in the minority by thinking this sign is okay. I agree the EZ-Pass logo could be a bit smaller, but at least it puts a strong emphasis on the fact that non-EZ Pass users will be in trouble if they exit here. I think this is important since people from certain areas (such as myself) aren't used to having exits where some cars aren't allowed to use certain exits. I'll also point out that I just tried using Google Maps to see if it would suggest for me to use this exit and it did. I think that makes it that much more important to put emphasis on "EZ Pass only" on the signs since Google will tell people to exit there.

You probably think it's OK because at some level, it is similar to what is done in Ontario.  I agree.  I would simplify the sign by getting rid of the stuff on the left mentioning the parkway.  So the entire top banner will read EZ Pass Only.  And there will be two arrows (straight/right and right) and between the two arrows will be Chevalier Ave.  I believe it is well understood that going straight means staying on the Parkway, so let's not sign that and simplify the sign.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on November 25, 2017, 10:06:02 PM
I think I get what it means. The "129 NBE" is probably the NJTA's designation for that specific service road. It might mean 'Northbound East" or something like that. On the Turnpike they have similar designations for the dual roadways in each direction.

For instance NSO means North-to-South Outer roadway. And SNI means South-to-North Inner roadway. Similarly, at the "mixing-bowl" just south of Exit-15E there is a separate designation for every connector-ramp. SNOE means South-to-North Outer to East leg. And I believe WNSI means West (leg) to North-to-South Inner roadway. Or something like that. If anyone knows different, please correct me.

But getting back to the GSP, that's probably what those mileage markers are, and show the mileage from the beginning of that particular roadway.
Parkway and Turnpike use different nomenclature. On the Parkway, NBE is North Bound Entrance. NBX, SBE, SBX.

SignBridge

Okay cool!  At least I was on the right track. Thanks Alps. Come to think of it I knew there were some differences, because years ago when you could listen to those road's radio frequencies on any scanner, the troopers on the Turnpike used those designations I mentioned above, but on the Parkway, they would just say stuff like "North-Outer" and South-Inner". It's all good.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on November 26, 2017, 08:19:47 PM
Okay cool!  At least I was on the right track. Thanks Alps. Come to think of it I knew there were some differences, because years ago when you could listen to those road's radio frequencies on any scanner, the troopers on the Turnpike used those designations I mentioned above, but on the Parkway, they would just say stuff like "North-Outer" and South-Inner". It's all good.
Yup, NJ Highway Authority was a little... less rigorous... about stuff like that, and a lot of it just got absorbed. At least now the Express and Local are technically NBI and NBO, SBI and SBO on the Parkway as well as Turnpike, but apparently those haven't caught on yet, no surprise.

ixnay

Looking at Google Satellite, it appears that exit 30 used to be a full trumpet.  When were the nb off ramp and sb on ramp removed?

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on December 12, 2017, 09:34:56 PM
Looking at Google Satellite, it appears that exit 30 used to be a full trumpet.  When were the nb off ramp and sb on ramp removed?

ixnay

Based on historical aerials, sometime between 1963 and 1970. The toll plaza was added at that time too.

NJRoadfan

An APL sign went up a few weeks ago on the northbound side at Exit 38A (future Exit 38B).

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 12, 2017, 09:57:41 PM

ixnay

Based on historical aerials, sometime between 1963 and 1970. The toll plaza was added at that time too.
Yup, before then US 9 was an at-grade intersection! Then they decided to make it a pair with 30.

storm2k

So at the ends of both the NB and SB offramps at 135, there are now little green rectangle signs that read "END NJTA". There are not matching signs at either onramp there. I guess this is a new thing they're expanding on the Parkway beyond the new signs on the 129 roadways.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on December 13, 2017, 11:25:02 PM
So at the ends of both the NB and SB offramps at 135, there are now little green rectangle signs that read "END NJTA". There are not matching signs at either onramp there. I guess this is a new thing they're expanding on the Parkway beyond the new signs on the 129 roadways.
Bizarre. The only one I ever knew of was at the far northern end, I-95 at US 9W.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on December 13, 2017, 11:37:48 PM
Bizarre. The only one I ever knew of was at the far northern end, I-95 at US 9W.

On 78WB, near Exit 57 there is an old end supplemental placard that used to have a Turnpike shield beneath it that's been gone for over a decade or more at this point. It was used to mark where NJTA jurisdiction stopped and moved back to NJDOT (even though the DOT clearly put up all the overhead signage beyond the Exit 14 toll plaza). You can clearly tell the change as it goes from concrete to asphalt. Also, the EB changeover is different.

The only other agency I know that does this regularly is the DRJTBC to mark where they begin jurisdiction of roadways leading to their bridges. I know that 202 has them, as does 22.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on December 12, 2017, 11:03:00 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 12, 2017, 09:57:41 PM

ixnay

Yup, before then US 9 was an at-grade intersection! Then they decided to make it a pair with 30.

Looking at the historic aerials site again, I see the sole bridge over Great Egg Harbor sound was there beyond 1970, with the second span added in the years after that (that's the bridge that was recently removed when the new Southbound span was built).  I also see just to the south a connection road between the GSP and US 9 that appears was never fully connected with the GSP.  It was even paved and lined!  Today, it looks like the pavement has been removed and it just remains as a sandy/dirt path.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on December 14, 2017, 11:24:54 AM
Quote from: Alps on December 13, 2017, 11:37:48 PM

On 78WB, near Exit 57 there is an old end supplemental placard that used to have a Turnpike shield beneath it that's been gone for over a decade or more at this point. It was used to mark where NJTA jurisdiction stopped and moved back to NJDOT (even though the DOT clearly put up all the overhead signage beyond the Exit 14 toll plaza). You can clearly tell the change as it goes from concrete to asphalt. Also, the EB changeover is different.

The only other agency I know that does this regularly is the DRJTBC to mark where they begin jurisdiction of roadways leading to their bridges. I know that 202 has them, as does 22.
I-78 had a sign at Exit 3 as the DRJTC that marked the end as it was in 1990 when it opened not state maintained, but I believe the signs are.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Crash-prone Parkway exit to switch to one-way tolls

QuoteOne-way tolls are coming to the Garden State Parkway's busy Exit 145 to and from Route 280 in East Orange next year as a way to reduce a high crash rate at the toll plaza, officials said.

NJ Turnpike Authority officials approved the change on Tuesday, which will remove the toll plaza at the exit from the northbound Parkway and double the current toll to $1 at the remaining plaza.

The toll plaza should be removed in Spring 2018.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on December 20, 2017, 06:35:26 PM
Crash-prone Parkway exit to switch to one-way tolls

QuoteOne-way tolls are coming to the Garden State Parkway's busy Exit 145 to and from Route 280 in East Orange next year as a way to reduce a high crash rate at the toll plaza, officials said.

NJ Turnpike Authority officials approved the change on Tuesday, which will remove the toll plaza at the exit from the northbound Parkway and double the current toll to $1 at the remaining plaza.

The toll plaza should be removed in Spring 2018.
This is actually a good idea from a safety standpoint. Also, with the doubled toll being northbound at 142, it's nice to give people an exit here without charging them another toll.

SignBridge

Well they won't have to stop again for a toll northbound, but they will still get charged (double) when they enter southbound at the same interchange.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on December 20, 2017, 10:12:25 PM
Well they won't have to stop again for a toll northbound, but they will still get charged (double) when they enter southbound at the same interchange.
But then there's no SB toll at 142. You're missing my point. I'm saying when they went to one-directional mainline tolling, they could have done the same thing at exit ramps. Everything from 144-148 NB exits should be free, and SB entry should be double.

SignBridge

Point taken, Alps. You know that area better than I do. (chuckle!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.