News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: Alps on October 25, 2017, 12:22:51 AM
Also worth noting with the conversion of 16 that the NY 17/32 interchange is also going into Design-Build at the same time. A whole lot of construction going on for a whole different functionality when it's all done.

They're finally moving forward with that? About flipping time. Only been talking about it for 20 years. They still using the same design from a while back that was posted on the NYSDOT website forever?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

storm2k

Interesting to me that the Thruway Authority is keeping this sign, which is like the poster child for information overload.

SignBridge

You got that right storm2k!

cl94

Not only are they keeping it, they're replacing in kind. Problem is that Exit 131 really needs a couple auxiliary signs that there isn't room for. That sign SHOULD say something like the following:

EAST  SOUTH
US 6   NY 17   NY 32
Bear Mtn
Harriman
Central Valley

West Point and Woodbury Outlets would be on a supplemental, 3 control cities because each route goes in a different direction. Problem is that they'd have to fit multiple auxiliary signs in 1/4 mile.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

vdeane

With the toll barrier removed, I would think there would be room for a supplemental sign.  Though I'd put Bear Mountain on the supplemental sign (as parks usually are).  And actually use an exit tab.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on October 25, 2017, 09:01:34 PM
Though I'd put Bear Mountain on the supplemental sign (as parks usually are).

Bear Mountain is the control city for US 6 (and Palisades Parkway, US 9W, and US 202, for that matter), so better to keep things consistent. Also refers to the bridge.

vdeane

Since US 6 does not actually intersect exit 131 (it's "TO US 6 East"), I think we can let it slide.  Though in any case, signs with three control cities aren't unheard of.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cl94 on October 25, 2017, 09:07:43 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 25, 2017, 09:01:34 PM
Though I'd put Bear Mountain on the supplemental sign (as parks usually are).

Bear Mountain is the control city for US 6 (and Palisades Parkway, US 9W, and US 202, for that matter), so better to keep things consistent. Also refers to the bridge.

For Exit 131 WB, my idea was to split it into Exit 131 B-A (Future Exit 380 B-A). Sign would look like this:

SOUTH     NORTH                EAST
                       17            32        TO          6

Harriman
                              Woodbury

---------------------------------------------------
                       Premium Outlets Blvd.   

Bear Mountain SP, West Point, and Central Valley would be on supplemental signage.

For Exit 130 (Future Exit 380A), I would use West Point and Peekskill for control cities on US 6 East as more people are familiar with those places (Bear Mountain SP on supplemental signage).  I know US 6 doesn't go directly to West Point (NY 293 does), but a lot of traffic exiting there is bound for West Point.  EB Exit 131 (Future Exit 380B) would just be NY 17  South/NY 32 North/Harriman-Woodbury with supplemental signage for Central Valley and the outlet center.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

storm2k

Here's my thought. Why not put the whole US 6 EB thing on a supplemental sign, since it doesn't actually intersect here?

route17fan

Quote from: storm2k on October 25, 2017, 10:39:01 AM
Quote from: route17fan on October 24, 2017, 07:13:28 PM
Here are plans to convert the Harriman toll plaza to AET: D214537 http://www.thruway.ny.gov/business/contractors/documents/index.shtml

It's actually 214587. I couldn't find the other number on there and it threw me off for a second.

My bad. Sorry for my typo
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

roadman65

It really should be for NY 17 SB and NY 32 NB and their control cities respectively.   US 6 for West Point and Bear Mtn.  should be supplemental in this case.  The outlets should be supplemental for sure as its not even a point or municipality.

That sign is worse than what GA once had for a guide sign in Adele, GA on I-75 or the former NJ Turnpike sign at Exit 8A with four control cities on both counts.

Obviously a NYSTA installation hence Middletown over Binghamton on the pull through.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: webny99 on October 31, 2017, 12:25:22 AM
Has anyone here ever traveled the thruway between Rochester and Buffalo on the Sunday of a Bill's game?

I did this past Sunday, and I have never seen anything like it in my life. The thruway is slow on a good weekend, but this was exceptional. We slowed to a crawl at the end of the ramp from I-290 and crept through the toll barrier (fortunately, we have EZPass). It took a whopping 60 minutes to get from the toll booth to the Pembroke service area, a distance of around 25 miles. The sheer volume was, for lack of better terms, beyond comprehension. And I'm not into football, and this is a separate topic, but the Pembroke Service Area was a zoo as well. That was the first time I have encountered a line at a Thruway restroom. Those things have like forty toilets! How is that even possible?

I was overall, very impressed with our bad timing coming back from a weekend in Ontario  :D

I've seen the lines for restrooms at some of the NJ Turnpike rest areas on super busy travel days, like around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Number of people > Number of toilets = line.

Buffaboy

Why aren't there billboards on I-90 Ontario Section (Exits 55-50)? Is it a Thruway policy?

Not that I would like to see any, but it seems like I-190, I-290 and NY-400 have billboards every mile.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Sam

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 13, 2017, 04:44:07 PM
Why aren't there billboards on I-90 Ontario Section (Exits 55-50)? Is it a Thruway policy?

Yes.

"The erection or maintenance of any advertising device, located within 660 feet of the nearest edge of the right-of-way of the Thruway is prohibited pursuant to section 361-a of the Public Authorities Law."

Part 105 starts on page 27:
http://www.thruway.ny.gov/about/rulesregs/thruwayregs.pdf

machias

Not that I would like to see any, but it seems like I-190, I-290 and NY-400 have billboards every mile.

The only place you'll find billboards close to the Thruway is along the portion that goes through the Seneca Nation and that development is fairly recent.

kalvado

Quote from: Sam on November 13, 2017, 05:27:01 PM

Yes.

"The erection or maintenance of any advertising device, located within 660 feet of the nearest edge of the right-of-way of the Thruway is prohibited pursuant to section 361-a of the Public Authorities Law."

Part 105 starts on page 27:
http://www.thruway.ny.gov/about/rulesregs/thruwayregs.pdf
Slightly off the stated topic, but Albany section of I-90 and I-787 have a few of those...I wonder why..
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6865218,-73.7930058,3a,75y,240.6h,87.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbHq6XsZc9CM5hfoCLP-hog!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
If you move around a little bit, there will be something like 6 of those.

Snappyjack

Quote from: kalvado on November 13, 2017, 07:34:53 PM

Slightly off the stated topic, but Albany section of I-90 and I-787 have a few of those...I wonder why..
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6865218,-73.7930058,3a,75y,240.6h,87.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbHq6XsZc9CM5hfoCLP-hog!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It is because 787 and free 90 are not under NYSTA jurisdiction. Oddly enough, you do also find them on I-190, which is part of the Thruway. Not sure why they don't seem to care about that. Plus, the whole Seneca Nation thing is a whole other can of worms.

Sam

Quote from: Snappyjack on November 13, 2017, 10:35:09 PM
Oddly enough, you do also find them on I-190, which is part of the Thruway. Not sure why they don't seem to care about that.
I never noticed them through the Buffalo area (which isn't to say they aren't there) but I do recall them in Niagara County. I-190 is not part of the Thruway system north of Grand Island.

kalvado

Quote from: Snappyjack on November 13, 2017, 10:35:09 PM
Quote from: kalvado on November 13, 2017, 07:34:53 PM

It is because 787 and free 90 are not under NYSTA jurisdiction. Oddly enough, you do also find them on I-190, which is part of the Thruway. Not sure why they don't seem to care about that. Plus, the whole Seneca Nation thing is a whole other can of worms.
Actually I was a bit confused over entire issue.
Looks like I had some quite wrong ideas about billboard regulations in general, and my mental adblock didn't let me notice them around....

Snappyjack

Sam

Quote from: Snappyjack on November 14, 2017, 11:01:04 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/ZtDXYtEa38w

Well, how about that? I guess I need to read the fine print!  :pan: There's an exemption for certain parts of Buffalo in 105.3 (a) (11).

Flyer78

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Gov. Andrew Cuomo plans to eliminate toll booths from the New York State Thruway by 2020.

Under the proposal, drivers wouldn't have to stop at a single toll booth from New York City to Buffalo along the 496-mile "superhighway."

Cuomo made the announcement as part of Cuomo's 2018 "State of the State" address Wednesday.

He said the switch to "cashless tolls" would reduce congestion and improve travel times.

http://www.syracuse.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/01/gov_proposes_eliminating_toll_booths_from_new_york_state_thruway_by_2020.html#incart_river_home

So what is the over/under on this being complete before the PA Turnpike, which has been in the process of "studying" for a while now?

Article also contains a blurb about updating the service plazas.

Brandon

Quote from: Flyer78 on January 04, 2018, 11:25:16 AM
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Gov. Andrew Cuomo plans to eliminate toll booths from the New York State Thruway by 2020.

Under the proposal, drivers wouldn't have to stop at a single toll booth from New York City to Buffalo along the 496-mile "superhighway."

Cuomo made the announcement as part of Cuomo's 2018 "State of the State" address Wednesday.

He said the switch to "cashless tolls" would reduce congestion and improve travel times.

http://www.syracuse.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/01/gov_proposes_eliminating_toll_booths_from_new_york_state_thruway_by_2020.html#incart_river_home

So what is the over/under on this being complete before the PA Turnpike, which has been in the process of "studying" for a while now?

Article also contains a blurb about updating the service plazas.

That's only about 15 years behind what we did in Illinois.  ORT is very nice, and makes for a very easy trip along a tollway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kalvado

Quote from: Brandon on January 04, 2018, 11:31:25 AM

That's only about 15 years behind what we did in Illinois.  ORT is very nice, and makes for a very easy trip along a tollway.
I still believe that ORT needs to come with an option of settling transaction on a spot, preferably with multiple payment methods - including cash. So both IL and FL - places where I experienced ORT - didn't quite managed the task.
I am pretty sure whatever Thruway can do under the guidance of Cuomo II,  would be worse than those two attempts.
Since I have EZpass tags in both cars, Thruway toll doesn't matter that much for me - but I know how things (don't) work for out of area drivers

Brandon

Quote from: kalvado on January 04, 2018, 12:37:52 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 04, 2018, 11:31:25 AM

I still believe that ORT needs to come with an option of settling transaction on a spot, preferably with multiple payment methods - including cash. So both IL and FL - places where I experienced ORT - didn't quite managed the task.
I am pretty sure whatever Thruway can do under the guidance of Cuomo II,  would be worse than those two attempts.
Since I have EZpass tags in both cars, Thruway toll doesn't matter that much for me - but I know how things (don't) work for out of area drivers

In Illinois, it's pay online within 7 days.  It's merely the cash rate (2x the I-Pass/EZ Pass rate), and it's posted after every toll plaza.  If you're going to a mainline toll plaza (except the Elgin-O'Hare), then use the cash lanes to pay on-the-spot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.