News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 93 Signing Work

Started by bob7374, May 05, 2012, 04:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on April 23, 2015, 10:46:36 PM
Quote from: southshore720 on April 22, 2015, 05:33:23 PM
The VMS signs for this replacement project are FINALLY operational.  Even the thin VMS signs for the carpool lane are working, although they currently say "TESTING 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9."
Meanwhile, the project itself has been stuck at 97% complete since the winter. Only one more BGS needs to be replaced, according to the signage plans, the last one for Mass Ave northbound, and the current sign is not old, just now inconsistent with the rest, not having the white 'Hazardous Materials/Overheight Vehicles Must Exit' banner (information now on a separate sign to the left).
As promised, here's a photo of one of the new HOV Lane VMSs taken last weekend while still in testing mode:

For some additional photos, go to my I-93 in Massachusetts Photo Page: http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i93photos.html

bob7374

According to the latest update on the MassDOT Projects listing. The I-93 Signing project between Randolph and Boston is now 100% complete. Apparently, as I surmised, the last overhead sign for the Mass Ave. exit northbound was not replaced:

The signage plans I have indicated it would be changed, and made consistent with the previous advance signs, as shown here:

Also, there was still one remaining old South I-93/MA 3 Guide (Paddle) sign on Morrissey Blvd. northbound as of Wednesday afternoon (7/8). So, unless they've replaced that in the past day or so, they may not be quite finished yet. However, this does more or less complete all the sign replacement projects for I-93 in Mass. There are two I-95 projects still going on. The one from Newton to Lexington is 88% complete while that from Peabody to Georgetown in 73% done.

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on July 10, 2015, 10:58:00 AM
However, this does more or less complete all the sign replacement projects for I-93 in Mass. There are two I-95 projects still going on. The one from Newton to Lexington is 88% complete while that from Peabody to Georgetown in 73% done.
You forgot I-195 Seekonk to Dartmouth, including the section of MA 24 between the RI/MA border and I-195, which MassDOT's web site shows as 49% complete.  There's also I-91 West Springfield to Bernardston, which is still under construction but not listed on MassDOT's project web site for some reason.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

shadyjay

As of a month ago, there was no evidence in the field of the I-91 signing project starting yet.   No small orange markers up yet where new overhead supports will go.   

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on July 13, 2015, 01:02:50 PM
As of a month ago, there was no evidence in the field of the I-91 signing project starting yet.   No small orange markers up yet where new overhead supports will go.   I'll be checking again this weekend.
Note that the orange markers you see are not a MassDOT requirement, but rather the preference of a particular contractor - who is not the contractor that won the I-91 West Springfield to Bernardston job.  And, while substansive work has not yet begun on this project, I still find it odd that the project is not listed on MassDOT's project web site.  This is because such a listing is usually SOP once a project has been awarded to a contractor.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

southshore720

They've officially de-commissioned the HOV exit at Exit 20.  They've added "white out" to the White BGSs and covered the HOV 2+ references.

Correction:  They have replaced the signage on Frontage Rd with an LGS 1/2 green, 1/2 white stating that the Bypass Road is restricted to commercial vehicles EXCEPT between 6-10 AM.

bob7374

New MassDOT 'Go Time' travel time signs are now going up along I-93. Southbound one has appeared in Somerville and this one in Milton after the MA 24 on-ramp:

(This must be for those traveling '128' since there is no mention the listed exits are on I-95 North).

The first sign northbound has also been placed (with it likely, from appearances, the next one in Braintree will be installed this week) at the Houghton Pond/Ponkapaug Rd exit:

bob7374

The first travel time sign on the SE Expressway section of I-93 has been now been installed:

Who at MassDOT does their mileage calculations? The distance listed for MA 3 is 4 miles. The mile marker in the photo is 12.4, the MA 3 interchange is at mile 6.8. Funny, when I subtract 6.8 from 12.4 I get 5.6. If you want to use rounded figures, then 12-7=5, neither gets you 4. This isn't the only example, the next sign will list the distances to MA 24 and I-95. They are listed as being only 2 miles apart when the MA 24 exit is perhaps 1/4 beyond the Mile 4 milepost. The 2 Mile Advance sign for I-95 is after the next (Ponkapaug Rd) exit.

AMLNet49

Quote from: bob7374 on July 21, 2016, 12:30:25 AM
The first travel time sign on the SE Expressway section of I-93 has been now been installed:

Who at MassDOT does their mileage calculations? The distance listed for MA 3 is 4 miles. The mile marker in the photo is 12.4, the MA 3 interchange is at mile 6.8. Funny, when I subtract 6.8 from 12.4 I get 5.6. If you want to use rounded figures, then 12-7=5, neither gets you 4. This isn't the only example, the next sign will list the distances to MA 24 and I-95. They are listed as being only 2 miles apart when the MA 24 exit is perhaps 1/4 beyond the Mile 4 milepost. The 2 Mile Advance sign for I-95 is after the next (Ponkapaug Rd) exit.

Do the signs perhaps refer to how far the traffic associated with each interchange usually backs up to?

mass_citizen

its so bad I even had to post this one on the erroneous signs thread. Two locations miles apart yet according to the sign they are the same distance.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=87.msg2160015#new

bob7374

Quote from: mass_citizen on July 21, 2016, 02:41:48 AM
its so bad I even had to post this one on the erroneous signs thread. Two locations miles apart yet according to the sign they are the same distance.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=87.msg2160015#new
This is definitely one on the contractor, as I've posted to the erroneous signs thread, the mileage in the sign plan lists 2 miles for the Zakim and 5 for Mass Ave. But yes, someone should have noticed that before they put it up.

bob7374

Reviving this thread with new signage in Methuen related to the MA 110/113 Rotary replacement project. A new northbound ramp was created servicing MA 110/113 West with the existing ramp reconstructed to serve eastbound traffic. As a result the exits are now 46 A/B on I-93 in that direction. Here's the first advance sign:

Remaining photos can be found on my I-93 in Mass. Photo Gallery:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i93photos.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.