News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Funny-named towns

Started by golden eagle, June 10, 2010, 12:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: BamaZeus on February 27, 2013, 01:09:51 PM
I don't think I missed it already, but I'm a fan of Walla Walla, Washington.  Of course, that's the home of the Acme Vacuum Cleaner Company and Ace Novelty Company, for whom Daffy Duck is a salesman.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x65404_foghorn-leghorn-daffy-duck-the-high_shortfilms#.US5LefLgKgs
That is probably where WZAZ  TV originated along with the 555 exchange numbers to start the 7 digit phone number, and maybe the swinging kitchen doors that is used in TV homes are mad there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Dr Frankenstein

Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ and Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!, QC should become sister cities.

djsinco

D'Lo, MS. Name coined by train engineers who created the contraction when commenting on that "Damned low spot" in the tracks.
3 million miles and counting

cjk374

Funny towns in Lousisana:

Waterproof:  Located on US 65 south of Tallulah, right next to the Mississippi River levee.   :spin:
Yellow Bayou
Ajax
Plain Dealing
Latex
Frogmore
Jigger
Shongaloo
Taterville
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

kphoger

Quote from: cjk374 on March 03, 2013, 09:48:36 AM
Latex

Please, please tell me their school mascot is the Trojans.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2013, 05:02:40 PM
Latex

and in Texas,  named for LA and TEX, like Texarkana is named.  There was a Jefferson Forks school there

1995hoo

Jerry's Nose, Newfoundland, is on the Port-au-Port Peninsula. I think it recently consolidated with two other nearby towns, however.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SP Cook

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2013, 05:02:40 PM
Latex

Trojans are actually made in Troy.  Troy, Alabama.  Both Troy State University and the local high school are the Trojans.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on February 28, 2013, 08:29:06 PM
Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ and Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!, QC should become sister cities.

Now then you mention it, strange then Saint-Louis-du Ha!Ha! isn't close to the Bay of the Ha!-Ha! A bay of the Saguenay river.

civilmaher

Almost anything between Philly and Allentown...

Hosensack
Schwenksville
Bala Cynwyd
Upper Black Eddy
Perkiomen
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

empirestate

Quote from: civilmaher on March 20, 2013, 02:07:04 PM

Hosensack
Schwenksville
Bala Cynwyd
Upper Black Eddy
Perkiomen

Why limit to a specific portion of PA, when the state as a whole offers such bounty? For example, Jim Thorpe...because that's obviously less weird than the previous name, Mauch Chunk.

DeaconG

Quote from: civilmaher on March 20, 2013, 02:07:04 PM

Hosensack
Schwenksville
Bala Cynwyd
Upper Black Eddy
Perkiomen

Bala Cynwyd is right across the county line from where I lived in Philly...I would go shopping at the Acme there (now Albertson's) every time I could come home on visits.

The last name is pronounced "Kin-wid".
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

english si

Yes - that's simply Welsh orthography - or at least slightly distorted Welsh orthography.

hotdogPi

Sandwich, MA

Florida, MA
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

vtk

Not a town, but some people think it's funny that we have Hancock County and Wood county, and bonus: they're adjacent!

Fredonia, OH.  Sounds like the name of a fictional kingdon imagined by a boy named Fred.

South Charleston, OH. What's funny is people call it South Chuck for short.  See also: West Jeff.

Peebles, OH.  It's in southern Ohio, where Peebles is the name of a fairly prolific grocery store chain.  There is no Peebles in Peebles.

Wonderland, OH.  Formerly a settlement near Gahanna, now mostly abandoned. There's a church, and there's some kind of light industry that I think deals with rocks which has claimed and fenced off most of Wonderland.  There's a metaphor in here somewhere.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman65

Yonkers, NY always struck me as an odd name. 

Sheryl Crowe

Thing 342

I have always thought Newport News, Va was an odd name for a city, especially compared to the rather English names of the surrounding cities.
Round O, SC
Ordinary, VA
Due West, SC
Medicine Hat, AB

roadman65

Newport News sounds like the name of a Newspaper.  I know that it got its name from Christopher Newport, but where did the news come in?

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on August 10, 2013, 10:12:42 PM
Yonkers, NY always struck me as an odd name. 

It's a corruption of the Dutch word "Jonker," which was a sort of title given to the guy who owned that land back when the small town on an island nearby was called New Amsterdam.

Regarding Newport News, nobody's sure about "News," but the Wikipedia article about the city has a pretty good summary of various theories.

Other goofy names:

–Wank, Germany

–Crapstone, England

–Chipping Sodbury, England

–East Breast, Scotland

–Shitterton, England

–Penistone, England (pronounced PENNIS-tun)

–Several places in the US and Canada use the word "Negro" in place of an earlier term that is nowadays sometimes deemed offensive to black people (example: Negro Bill Canyon in Utah).

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CNGL-Leudimin

It should be twinned with that Fucking village in Austria.

And there is no town called Cuñt in Spain, they have overlooked the "i" of Cunit.

(And there is no town called genius either. I had to misspell the c-word with the typical Spanish letter since I wasn't insulting anybody)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Mexico, ME: directly on US 2

Mexico, NY: directly on NY 3

Alanland, JK: directly on NE2
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

CNGL-Leudimin

More profan locations:
Puta, Azerbaijan (Spanish for "slut")
Zorra, ON, Canada (Spanish for "bitch")
Shit, Iran
Poo, Spain

A few American placenames in the old continent:
Pennsylvanien, Denmark
Kalifornien, Germany
California, an estate near Barcelona, Spain
Amerika, Netherlands
Philadelphia, England, UK (Named after the American one)
New York, England, UK (It's North of Boston, the town that named the city in MA)

And a few "short" ones:
Bandar Seri Begawan, capital of Brunei.
Sri Jayawadenapura Kotte, capital of Sri Lanka.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, town in Wales, UK.
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu, hill in New Zealand.
And the ceremonial name of Bangkok, capital of Thailand, is Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

english si

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 13, 2013, 06:05:21 AMLlanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, town in Wales, UK.
No - the village is called Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, it is the station that has the ridiculously long name as a Victorian marketing gimmick.

1995hoo

Then you have Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg in Massachusetts. It's also known as Lake Webster (Webster is also the name of a nearby town).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.