News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Northwest Florida Road News

Started by FLRoads, February 26, 2009, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Changes eyed on Bayfront Parkway in Pensacola

QuoteMore than 20 people gave the Florida Department of Transportation their ideas on improving Bayfront Parkway between South Tarragona and East Chase streets during a public meeting Thursday night.

Residents interviewed for this story said they want to see the busy stretch of Bayfront Parkway quieted, possibly by reducing it from two lanes each way to one.

To alleviate traffic in the area with two fewer lanes on Bayfront Parkway, a few residents proposed making Chase Street a two-way road in the area. Traffic can only go east on Chase Street near Bayfront Parkway.

QuoteResidents also said they would like to see truck traffic allowed along Tarragona Street between Interstate 110 and the Port of Pensacola. But the city restricts truck traffic on that road because it is a historic district.

Alex

U.S. 98 drive gets smoother

QuoteAfter about two years of construction and several weather delays, including last year's historic April flooding and cold temperatures earlier this year, the Florida Department of Transportation is wrapping up road resurfacing projects along about 13 miles of the highway in Gulf Breeze and Navarre.

The approximately $23.7 million project, split into two segments, also includes widening turn lanes and shoulders for added safety.

Completing the improvements will be a milestone for the highly-utilized corridor, which was approaching its estimated asphalt "life expectancy" of about 20 years, said FDOT spokesman Ian Satter.

QuoteFDOT is in the final stages of resurfacing and widening an approximately 11.2-mile section of highway between the Okaloosa County line and the Gulf Breeze Zoo, which should wrap up by summer.

QuoteResurfacing improvements on another two-mile section in Gulf Breeze from the Gulf Breeze Zoo to the Pensacola Bay Bridge have also been completed, and crews are now focusing on widening turn lanes and shoulders between the Villa Venyce subdivision and the zoo, expected to finish by fall.

FDOT has also set aside approximately $2.8 million to fund a Project Development and Environment study addressing the possibility of six-laning a section of U.S. 98 in Gulf Breeze from Portside Drive to the Okaloosa County line, putting the study in its five-year work program for 2015-2019.

Alex

Bay Bridge project moves forward

QuoteAfter years of back-and-forth between the city of Gulf Breeze and the Florida Department of Transportation planning for the impending replacement of the Pensacola Bay Bridge, an agreement has been reached for construction of the new six-lane corridor connecting Pensacola and Gulf Breeze.

The arrangement is a major step for what's expected to be one of the area's most impactful road construction projects in recent history, which is slated to begin as early as 2017.

QuoteThough construction may not begin until 2017 or 2018, Sen. Gaetz told the News Journal on Thursday that he'd like to see it happen before his senate term is up in November 2016.

"I'm putting pressure on the department, saying we want to break ground (and) start construction, like, tomorrow,"  Gaetz said.

For more information about the Pensacola Bay Bridge project, visit pensacolabaybridge.com.

Alex

The same exact delays were cited in the January 2015 article on the same project. Furthermore scrolling further up in this thread, a previous news article cited fall 2013 as the completion date...

Avalon Blvd. [Florida 281] completion delayed again

QuoteA section of Avalon Boulevard in Milton will be decked in orange and white construction barrels for a while longer, as a six-year $40 million project stretches into the fall.

The approximately five-mile portion of Avalon from Interstate 10 to U.S. 90 is in the fourth and final construction phase, which was expected to wrap up this month but is now projected to finish in September, according to the Florida Department of Transportation.

Construction on the route began in August 2009 and included widening it from two to four lanes, adding sidewalks and building a service road from Cactus Drive to Admirals Road, according to FDOT.

Completion was previously expected by winter 2014, but the project has experienced several delays from unforeseen issues including roadway redesigns due to unsuitable soil, necessary drainage additions and conflicts with overhead power lines.

Alex

This signal replaces a set of flashers. It also breaks up a long signal less stretch between Cantonment and Century.

New traffic signal in Molino

QuoteThe new traffic signal on U.S. 29 at the intersection of S.R. 97 in Escambia County will become operational beginning Thursday at approximately 10 a.m.

FLRoads

Plans were unveiled last night for a $1.5 million pedestrian overpass across U.S. 98 in Navarre.

FDOT unveils proposed plan for pedestrian bridge over U.S. 98

FLRoads

Mid-Bay Bridge authority offers info on toll increase options

QuoteAlthough not an actual public hearing, the small size of the group allowed for more interaction between the attendees and Mid-Bay Bridge Authority Executive Director Van Fuller, who presented an overview of the authority's plans for a future toll increase.

"We have reached the point where we need to set a new toll rate schedule to meet our revenue needs," Fuller said. "We have been working very hard to try to keep the cost increase as low as possible."

QuoteSince opening for traffic in 1993, the bridge has seen two toll increases: one in 2004 and another in 2010.

QuoteThe seven options ranged from a scenario with no toll increases to one with an across the board increase of $1 per car.

QuoteThe authority will implement the selected toll schedule on Oct. 1.

Alex

Interstate 10 improvements on horizon

QuoteThe next phase of I-10 improvements begins this month, and will include $38.6 million in construction feautring [sic] widening from 4 to 6 lanes moving eastward to Santa Rosa county across Escambia Bay Bridge over past Avalon Boulevard

Work runs through Summer 2017:
http://static.ow.ly/docs/Interstate%2010%20work%20beginning%20in%20Santa%20Rosa%20County_3C1J.pdf

FLRoads

Completed flyover has cut travel time

QuoteWhat was once a highly misunderstood proposal to alleviate traffic woes on U.S. Highway 98, is now changing the lives of the nearly 50,000 drivers on a daily basis.

Since both lanes of the overpass at the entrance of Hurlburt Field opened late last month, drivers have reported fewer traffic bottlenecks and shorter commutes.

QuoteWhen the U.S. 98 Flyover was announced in 2012, two opinions dominated. It would either be a godsend or a nightmare.

FLRoads

Avalon construction stretching until December

QuoteAfter multiple setbacks and more than six years of construction on Avalon Boulevard in Milton, the $40 million road project will be stretching to the end of the year, according to the Florida Department of Transportation.

QuoteThe remaining work is expected to wrap up by December, according to FDOT. The project was previously projected to finish in winter 2014, delayed to summer 2015 and later pushed back to a fall 2015 completion date.

QuoteFDOT Spokesman Ian Satter said the department is definitely aware of the public's frustrations with the construction, and the remaining work is being completed as quickly as possible, weather permitting.

QuoteSanta Rosa County Commissioner Bob Cole, who represents the district where Avalon Boulevard is located, said he has heard frustrations from residents and business owners about the lengthy construction.

Quote"When it falls this far behind, they should have to work on this 24 hours a day to get caught back up,"  Cole said.

Alex

Finally.

New toll system for Bob Sikes Bridge?

QuoteEscambia County is preparing to transition in the spring to a SunPass system for the Bob Sikes Toll Bridge. The county bid out the contract to TransCore, which specializes in the tolling industry. Florida's Turnpike Enterprise will manage the SunPass transactions.

"We're still on pace to have implementation around April," said David Forte, Public Works Department division manager.

FLRoads

Governor helps celebrate flyover's completion

The single point urban interchange officially complete along U.S. 98 at Cody Avenue at the entrance to Hurlburt Field, with the governor in attendance.

Alex

This stretch of US 90 is a slugfest with poor signal timing and heavy commercial development. The Pace area is mostly a bedroom community for Pensacola with consistent growth going back 20 plus years. Plenty of land to still develop to the north, so traffic counts will continue to increase.

FDOT studying U.S. 90 widening

QuoteWorking to get ahead of an anticipated traffic increase along U.S. 90 between Escambia and Santa Rosa counties, the Florida Department of Transportation is beginning a two-year study on widening the highway from four to six lanes.

The study area covers an 11-mile stretch of the roadway from where it intersects Scenic Highway in Pensacola to Glover Lane in Milton, focusing on additional capacity needs for east-west travel between the counties.

FDOT will host a public kickoff meeting this month for the Project Development and Environment Study evaluating that section of U.S. 90, which is set to wrap up in December 2017. Design, right-of-way acquisition and construction for the project have not been scheduled or funded, according to FDOT.

Alex

All lanes on SR 281 (Avalon Boulevard) are finally opened.

https://twitter.com/MyFDOT_NWFL/status/698330415598342144

QuoteWith all lanes open on Avalon Blvd construction project the work is scheduled to wrap up at the end of the month.

Progress on the new flyover taking SR 123 north onto SR 85:

Alex

The interchange between Interstate 10 and U.S. 29 will be partially redesigned. Per the Interstate 10 Widening FB page:

QuoteI-10/U.S. 29 Interchange Project Update:
Construction is beginning at the I-10/U.S. 29 interchange where an $8.5 million project will enhance safety and improve mobility for the estimated 68,000 (I-10) and 44,000 (U.S. 29) drivers who travel through the interchange daily.

Included in the construction is:

1) Removal of Exit 10A, the I-10 westbound exit ramp to U.S. 29 south.
2) Constructing a new I-10 westbound exit ramp to U.S. 29 south, adjacent to the current Exit 10B. The new exit will be designated "Exit 10."
3) Installing a new traffic signal on U.S. 29.

The new traffic signal will govern U.S. 29 north and south traffic, as well as I-10 westbound traffic destined for U.S. 29 south.

The new signal will not impact the following traffic movements:

- U.S. 29 south to I-10 eastbound. These drivers will bypass
the new traffic signal using a dedicated through-lane.
- I-10 westbound to U.S. 29 north.
- U.S. 29 north to I-10 eastbound.

4) Widening the I-10 eastbound bridge. This will create an added lane, eliminating the current left-side merge from U.S. 29 south. Drivers traveling from U.S. 29 north to I-10 eastbound will have a standard right-side merge onto I-10.

Construction is scheduled for completion spring 2017. Continue to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for the latest traffic alerts and information on construction progress. Questions regarding the I-10/U.S. 29 interchange project, email them to Info@I-10Escambia.com.

Unfortunately the left-hand on-ramp to I-10 west from US 29 north will remain...

FLRoads

Air Force shoots down 6 of 10 island bridge routes

QuoteEglin Air Force Base has weighed in on the studies being conducted to determine a best route for a Brooks Bridge alternate, connecting Okaloosa Island to the mainland. And it doesn't like anything that would impact Air Force property, in effect ruling out six of 10 of the proposed alternates.

QuoteIn a letter to Florida Department of Transportation project developer April Day Williams, Col. Matthew Higer states that the Air Force would not support alternate routes at Wright Parkway, Hollywood Boulevard or Yacht Club Drive.

QuoteHiger's letter cautioned FDOT against "making any assumption that (Air Force) lands would be made available should the project move beyond merely a concept."  Tommy Barfield, the secretary for FDOT's District 3 office in Chipley, said the Air Force opinion could bear great weight on Project Development and Environmental studies presently being conducted by the consulting firm of HDR Inc.

QuoteEven before the Air Force weighed in, studies had shown each of the 10 alternatives proposed by HDR presented "substantial"  difficulties to construct, the FDOT power point presentation showed.

Alex

Frequent beach visitors scramble to meet SunPass deadline

Quote...Green was among a steady stream of people who lined up at the beach office to obtain new passes before the beach's SunPass toll booth system launches May 31.

With the switch to the statewide Florida SunPass system, SunPass transponders will activate from each of the four beach toll booths. The system will deduct $1 from the SunPass account with each pass through the toll booth. Drivers who do not have a SunPass can still pay $1 to toll operators in three of the booths. One lane will not be staffed and designated for transponders only.

This is a needed change given how bad back-ups can be during the summer months and on holiday weekends. The Sunpass lanes commence operations on May 26, though the official launch is on May 31st: http://www.myescambia.com/home/news/bob-sikes-bridge-accept-sunpass%C2%AE-puts-drivers-fast-lane-pensacola-beach

DeaconG

Quote from: Alex on May 24, 2016, 05:37:00 PM
Frequent beach visitors scramble to meet SunPass deadline

Quote...Green was among a steady stream of people who lined up at the beach office to obtain new passes before the beach's SunPass toll booth system launches May 31.

With the switch to the statewide Florida SunPass system, SunPass transponders will activate from each of the four beach toll booths. The system will deduct $1 from the SunPass account with each pass through the toll booth. Drivers who do not have a SunPass can still pay $1 to toll operators in three of the booths. One lane will not be staffed and designated for transponders only.

This is a needed change given how bad back-ups can be during the summer months and on holiday weekends. The Sunpass lanes commence operations on May 26, though the official launch is on May 31st: http://www.myescambia.com/home/news/bob-sikes-bridge-accept-sunpass%C2%AE-puts-drivers-fast-lane-pensacola-beach

Excellent! Wish they'd had it when I visited Pensacola Beach in 2010...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

D-Dey65

Speaking of Tolls in Florida, I was just looking up the driving distance between my town and Tallahassee on Google Maps, and I got a warning for the quickest route claiming "This Route has Tolls," specifically focusing on US 27 in Tallahassee. I don't remember any tolls there when I went though the city on Greyhound.  Even if they're just electronic tolls (which look simply like security and traffic cameras), there don't seem to be any signs indicating the existence of any tolls.

NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 03, 2016, 12:33:33 PM
Speaking of Tolls in Florida, I was just looking up the driving distance between my town and Tallahassee on Google Maps, and I got a warning for the quickest route claiming "This Route has Tolls," specifically focusing on US 27 in Tallahassee. I don't remember any tolls there when I went though the city on Greyhound.  Even if they're just electronic tolls (which look simply like security and traffic cameras), there don't seem to be any signs indicating the existence of any tolls.
It's impossible to reply to this without knowing what your town is...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on June 03, 2016, 01:11:20 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 03, 2016, 12:33:33 PM
It's impossible to reply to this without knowing what your town is...
Not really. The tolls are supposedly in Tallahassee.

DeaconG

US 27 in Tallahassee does not have tolls. Period.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

D-Dey65

Quote from: DeaconG on June 03, 2016, 04:58:31 PM
US 27 in Tallahassee does not have tolls. Period.
Okay, so let's tell Google Maps that.

NE2

You do that. I can't without knowing what your route is.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on June 05, 2016, 11:14:34 PM
You do that. I can't without knowing what your route is.
I just said it was US 27.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.