Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on March 04, 2019, 01:36:00 AM
I did find it strange, last time I was in Europe (well, the UK) that prohibitive signage was red circles without a slash.

That got me in trouble once.  I thought I could use a pathway across a railroad track at a train station because the sign didn't have a slash through the symbol.  Got yelled at.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 04, 2019, 05:13:45 AM
The only problem is that blue doesn't have the "OK/allowed" connotation that green does in American culture, so the message may be lost entirely on some drivers.

A better option would be a green circle and a red X (with no circle). A red X is noticeable and can't be confused for anything but a prohibitory message.

I am inclined to believe you, though the US doesn't currently use green on signs to indicate something as "OK" or "allowed". Plus, blue is commonly recognized, especially in sports, as being the opposite to red (even if green actually is). If we were to introduce such signage, blue is something that should at least be tried, in light of introducing colors that are easily confused by colorblind individuals.

I shall imagine that an "X" shape isn't used, because it would block too much of the shape below. This could have the side-effect of causing drivers to spend too much time looking at the sign, deciphering the symbol.

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2019, 04:49:36 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 04, 2019, 01:36:00 AM
I did find it strange, last time I was in Europe (well, the UK) that prohibitive signage was red circles without a slash.

That got me in trouble once.  I thought I could use a pathway across a railroad track at a train station because the sign didn't have a slash through the symbol.  Got yelled at.

I guess it makes sense there, as blue backgrounds tell you what you can do (red-on-white circle is a no-no). It's the one thing about their signs that I'm not a huge fan of. Slashes still have a place, IMO, even if the color schemes should be enough info.

Quote from: riiga on March 04, 2019, 12:22:53 PM
I agree. All countries use slash for prohibitied turns though, while only Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Norway, and Sweden use them for all prohibitions. Here's a good overview.

Thank you for that link. Few more slashes than I thought!

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on March 04, 2019, 05:32:31 PM
The only problem is that blue doesn't have the "OK/allowed" connotation that green does in American culture, so the message may be lost entirely on some drivers.

A better option would be a green circle and a red X (with no circle). A red X is noticeable and can't be confused for anything but a prohibitory message.
I am inclined to believe you, though the US doesn't currently use green on signs to indicate something as "OK" or "allowed".

It does for hazardous material. See R14-2 and R14-4 (vs R14-3 and R14-5).

Edit: Green is also used on signs which explicitly allow parking at certain times or for certain lengths.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 04, 2019, 05:58:29 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 04, 2019, 05:32:31 PM

I am inclined to believe you, though the US doesn't currently use green on signs to indicate something as "OK" or "allowed".

It does for hazardous material. See R14-2 and R14-4 (vs R14-3 and R14-5).

Edit: Green is also used on signs which explicitly allow parking at certain times or for certain lengths.

Ahh, yeah. No shit. :pan: My bad!

I shall refrain: if we were to fully introduce "permissive" signage, perhaps a change to blue might be a consideration.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on March 04, 2019, 08:03:54 PM
I thought a blue circle meant "required".

I think it's an equivalent to our regulatory signage. Which has variable uses, from what's OK, to what's absolutely required.

If we were to adopt blue circles, they'd probably be used for heavy vehicle route guidance first, then maybe as a replacement for the "ONLY" signs at intersections. Then maybe as a way to indicate which lanes were OK to use (bus lanes would probably get two signs: one blue "bus" sign, and another white sign with a red slash over a car symbol).

RobbieL2415

Here's an interesting one in East Haddam, CT, warning drivers of the approach to the East Haddam Swing Bridge.  Only one I know of its kind and it might not be in the state spec book.
https://goo.gl/maps/TEYjYKcA7C42

ipeters61

I've always found these signs on The Circle in Georgetown DE to be pretty interesting, with the vertical alignment of the towns/destinations:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6899127,-75.3855354,3a,15y,260.36h,86.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqg8wMP6o9I3AA2HMI4L9qw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 05, 2019, 04:15:58 PM
Here's an interesting one in East Haddam, CT, warning drivers of the approach to the East Haddam Swing Bridge.  Only one I know of its kind and it might not be in the state spec book.
https://goo.gl/maps/TEYjYKcA7C42
That one's pretty unique.  It also kind of has a ConnDOT feel to it.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: jakeroot on March 04, 2019, 09:49:44 PM

I think it's an equivalent to our regulatory signage. Which has variable uses, from what's OK, to what's absolutely required.

If we were to adopt blue circles, they'd probably be used for heavy vehicle route guidance first, then maybe as a replacement for the "ONLY" signs at intersections. Then maybe as a way to indicate which lanes were OK to use (bus lanes would probably get two signs: one blue "bus" sign, and another white sign with a red slash over a car symbol).

Mocked up a couple examples of how blue could be used for a bus lane sign:

Brandon

Quote from: riiga on March 03, 2019, 03:07:57 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 02, 2019, 04:38:45 PM
Quote from: billpa on March 02, 2019, 04:11:59 AM
I'm not sure why we don't use those permanently. They couldn't be any clearer or simple.

I'm about 90% in agreement. I would prefer a blue outline versus green, because green and red look the same to colorblind individuals. Having more than just a slash being different between the two would be better. There's no blue/red colorblindness that I know of, so people could tell those colors apart.
Indeed. As show by this comparison, blue stands out much more than green:

I rather like the signs.  The first two can replace the "DO NOT PASS" and "PASS WITH CARE" signage.  The latter then becomes a double symbol sign (the symbol inside, and the pennant itself being a giant arrow pointing you back to the right).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

I call this The One Man Band Assembly...on Florida's Turnpike:

ipeters61

Quote from: formulanone on March 06, 2019, 06:37:49 PM
I call this The One Man Band Assembly...on Florida's Turnpike:

Whoa....there's just so much going on.  I have to ask, where are the destinations on 595?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Amtrakprod

Here is a DC sign:

Note I didn't see any cameras around

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Amtrakprod on March 07, 2019, 06:43:50 AM

Note I didn't see any cameras around

iPhone

When Renton installed photo enforcement on some intersections, they posted photo enforcement signs on surrounding other intersections.  The intersections with cameras had obvious equipment installs and flashes for cars in the intersection after red, but the other intersections didn't.  Would they install hidden cameras on some intersections but not others?  How stupid do they think we are?

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

roadfro

Quote from: Brandon on March 06, 2019, 05:37:03 PM
I'm not sure why we don't use those permanently. They couldn't be any clearer or simple.

I'm about 90% in agreement. I would prefer a blue outline versus green, because green and red look the same to colorblind individuals. Having more than just a slash being different between the two would be better. There's no blue/red colorblindness that I know of, so people could tell those colors apart.

I rather like the signs.  The first two can replace the "DO NOT PASS" and "PASS WITH CARE" signage.  The latter then becomes a double symbol sign (the symbol inside, and the pennant itself being a giant arrow pointing you back to the right).

Fun fact: The "do not pass" signs depicted here were actually considered for inclusion in the 2009 MUTCD, but the FHWA ultimately didn't adopt it as there was concern that it wouldn't be intuitively understood.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on March 04, 2019, 09:49:44 PM

I remember this being discussed in another thread:

[left arrow in blue circle]
Mon-Fri
15:00-18:00

This would mean that you must turn left during those hours. If it was a green circle, it would mean that turning left is only allowed during those hours.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Amtrakprod

Here's an interesting left turn on green arrow only sign

iPhone

Michael

I just saw a YouTube comment mentioning that Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited should be called the Late Shore Limited.  When I Googled "Late Shore Limited", I came across a train blog with a picture of the Lake Shore Limited in North East, PA.  When I went to find the location of the picture in Street View, I came across a railroad crossing sign with a "1 TRACK" plaque.  I've never seen any plaques for a single track before.

billpa

Quote from: roadfro on March 08, 2019, 05:24:40 PM

Fun fact: The "do not pass" signs depicted here were actually considered for inclusion in the 2009 MUTCD, but the FHWA ultimately didn't adopt it as there was concern that it wouldn't be intuitively understood.
Apparently we Americans are the only people only the planet who can't be counted on to understand non-wordy signs. That seems to be the view of the FHWA.

Pixel 2

roadfro

Quote from: billpa on March 09, 2019, 05:52:25 PM
Quote from: roadfro on March 08, 2019, 05:24:40 PM

Apparently we Americans are the only people only the planet who can't be counted on to understand non-wordy signs. That seems to be the view of the FHWA.

Pixel 2
I'm all for increased symbolization on our road signs. But even with an optional supplemental plaque, FHWA ended up thinking it wouldn't be intuitive. (FWIW, at first sighting, I also didn't immediately understand the meaning without the plaque.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ipeters61

Found an interesting and old One Way sign on US-50 Business/Salisbury Parkway in Salisbury MD this morning:

Also, apparently Maryland will make a white background unisign from time to time:

Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.