News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

State DOT March Madness!

Started by jaehak, March 14, 2024, 11:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaehak

I'm running a March Madness-style bracket based on State DOT signage of Control Cities on my YouTube channel. The second round (32) started today.
Currently, it's
Arizona vs Idaho
New York vs Ohio
Florida vs South Carolina
Illinois vs Georgia
Indiana vs Hawaii
Maryland (a 12-5 upset winner) vs Nevada
Missouri vs Montana
North Dakota vs Kansas
Tennessee vs Massachusetts
Rhode Island vs Virginia
Texas vs South Dakota
Wisconsin vs Oklahoma
Utah vs Connecticut
Washington vs Kentucky
California vs Michigan
Iowa vs Arkansas
Voting for the second round ends in a couple days. Come play along if you're interested. https://youtu.be/gXv_z39NWyg

Max Rockatansky

Why though?  Is there enough of a market for this kind of thing that comparing modern highway signage through GSV images is exciting?

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 14, 2024, 12:08:09 PM
Why though?  Is there enough of a market for this kind of thing that comparing modern highway signage through GSV images is exciting?
Let the control city nuts have their fun.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Speaking of "market", the OP is begging for money via Patreon, and offering more votes in his poll to donors.

This kind of commercialization puts me off, as well as the obsession about control cities.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

74/171FAN

Quote from: oscar on March 14, 2024, 01:05:05 PM

Speaking of "market", the OP is begging for money via Patreon, and offering more votes in his poll to donors.

This kind of commercialization puts me off, as well as the obsession about control cities.

I obviously have no issues supporting creators on Patreon and stuff, but this sounds a lot like whatever Taylor Swift does where giving her money gets you put up the line for concert tickets and stuff.

Besides, giving your donors more votes makes the polls unfair to begin with.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 14, 2024, 01:12:49 PM

I obviously have no issues supporting creators on Patreon and stuff, but this sounds a lot like whatever Taylor Swift does where giving her money gets you put up the line for concert tickets and stuff.

I've often been curious about what the monetization process looks like on YouTube.  I don't have a YouTube presence but I see Patreon brought up in about 75% of the channels I subscribe to.  It tends to make me think that the cut YouTube gives out might not be all that great.

Would be fair to suggest at this point that this post really doesn't belong in General Highway Talk?  I try to keep our stuff to Photos, Videos and More unless it happens to be applicable to a regional board somehow. 

This seems like a niche enough topic that it probably doesn't merit general interest.  I suspect that I wouldn't have been compelled to "opine" had this not be posted on the general board.  But yeah, count me as someone who thinks petitioning for payments to obtain more votes or voting power is kind of sleazy.

epzik8

Maryland's victories are never upsets.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

Heh.  Trying to make money off of people obsessed with control cities?  I suppose that is commercialization...without any potential for profit...or even revenue.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on March 14, 2024, 03:51:49 PM

Heh.  Trying to make money off of people obsessed with control cities?  I suppose that is commercialization...without any potential for profit...or even revenue.

Hence my original question.  Maybe there is some sort of demand for Google images for control city signs and paying to rig polls on DOT signage?  Perhaps we are just witnessing someone ahead of the curve that is ready to exploit a hungry niche market?  Maybe this is just an example of "shut up and take my money?"

Scott5114

Quote from: jaehak on March 14, 2024, 11:11:17 AM
Maryland (a 12-5 upset winner) vs Nevada

Bizarrely huge exit tabs and lack of margin spacing so bad FHWA called it out in the Clearview Circular vs neato wind brace posts and BGS lighting that still works.

Why even have a poll?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

You're asking the wrong question.  The question you should be asking is "who will pay to rig the poll?"

jaehak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 14, 2024, 01:35:33 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 14, 2024, 01:12:49 PM

I've often been curious about what the monetization process looks like on YouTube.  I don't have a YouTube presence but I see Patreon brought up in about 75% of the channels I subscribe to.  It tends to make me think that the cut YouTube gives out might not be all that great.

Would be fair to suggest at this point that this post really doesn't belong in General Highway Talk?  I try to keep our stuff to Photos, Videos and More unless it happens to be applicable to a regional board somehow. 

This seems like a niche enough topic that it probably doesn't merit general interest.  I suspect that I wouldn't have been compelled to "opine" had this not be posted on the general board.  But yeah, count me as someone who thinks petitioning for payments to obtain more votes or voting power is kind of sleazy.

I'm not "begging." During the current tournament thing I'm running, the usual benefits given to Patreon members are somewhat on hold. There are way more votes on YouTube than Patreon so giving the channel's most dedicated viewers a bump up is hardly a bad thing. I'm doing something fun, not electing a president. I'm also well aware that anyone could just make a bunch of Google accounts and vote a bunch of times anyway, but it's just a fun March Madness gimmick so I doubt anyone will. I use Patreon because YouTube is much stingier in its membership function and takes a 30% vig. Personally if I'm contributing to a content creator I like, I'd rather more of the money go to the creator than to Google. If the mods think this post is more at home in Photos/Videos, that's fine by me.

Rothman

So...it is about the pennies?  :D

jaehak

Saving up for my Limon retirement home

Max Rockatansky

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 15, 2024, 04:38:23 PM
Only about 25K if you wanted to put a 10% down payment:

https://www.zillow.com/home-values/39433/limon-co/

I am in awe that even freakin' Limon has higher home values than Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 15, 2024, 06:00:37 PM

That is what being a Control City will get you.  Imagine the real estate values if "oTHER DESERT CITIES" was a real place?

Brandon

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 15, 2024, 06:02:00 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 15, 2024, 06:00:37 PM

That is what being a Control City will get you.  Imagine the real estate values if "oTHER DESERT CITIES" was a real place?

What about "Thru Traffic"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

74/171FAN

"Shore Points" or "Beaches" would probably be the most expensive.  Have fun trying to get real estate these days at "N. Shore Destinations".
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

wriddle082

Quote from: jaehak on March 15, 2024, 03:33:51 PM
Saving up for my Limon retirement home

You'll only make enough for Benson!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.