News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lowest route number not used for a freeway?

Started by hotdogPi, April 18, 2015, 01:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 20, 2015, 12:44:37 PM
Does it have to be signed? Because if not, then AL 2 might count as it doesn't even touch a freeway (other then the very eastern end of I-565 and where it crosses over I-65).

Doesn't matter though, because I-2 is a freeway, so the number 2 is already covered. The lowest number we need to even consider is 48, followed by 102, if I'm keeping track correctly.

SD Mapman

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Thing 342

OK-102 overlaps with I-40 for a couple miles near Shawnee: http://goo.gl/maps/CInyN

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

TXtoNJ

TX-48 is fully grade separated between Vermillion Rd and Cantu Rd outside of Brownsville, a distance of 2.4 miles. Does that count?

oscar

Quote from: TXtoNJ on April 20, 2015, 04:18:02 PM
TX-48 is fully grade separated between Vermillion Rd and Cantu Rd outside of Brownsville, a distance of 2.4 miles. Does that count?

Looks like just two closely-spaced interchanges, on a highway with lots of at-grade crossings west and east of those interchanges. My personal rule of thumb is that you need at least three interchanges, with no intervening at-grades, to be a "freeway".

IMO, borderline at best.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

odditude

Quote from: oscar on April 20, 2015, 05:42:12 PM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on April 20, 2015, 04:18:02 PM

Looks like just two closely-spaced interchanges, on a highway with lots of at-grade crossings west and east of those interchanges. My personal rule of thumb is that you need at least three interchanges, with no intervening at-grades, to be a "freeway".

IMO, borderline at best.
according to Wikipedia, US 48 has freeway sections.

NE2

Quote from: odditude on April 21, 2015, 05:02:43 PM

PS: Wikipedia doesn't say US 48 has freeway sections.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

silverback1065

hotdogPi

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 22, 2015, 11:18:14 AM
0 is never used

From the first post:

QuotePositive integers only, and United States only.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Kacie Jane

Though if this were the lowest number never used for a freeway, 48 would fail.  IIRC (I have a bad habit of like half-remembering historical trivia), the current US 48 is the third one; the second one is now I-68.  Presumably some or all of it was freeway before black and white signs were replaced with red and blue ones.

froggie

Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 22, 2015, 01:28:17 PM
Though if this were the lowest number never used for a freeway, 48 would fail.  IIRC (I have a bad habit of like half-remembering historical trivia), the current US 48 is the third one; the second one is now I-68.  Presumably some or all of it was freeway before black and white signs were replaced with red and blue ones.

Correct.  The "National Freeway" was constructed in segments as a full freeway and signed as US 48.  It wasn't until completion (or thereabouts) that it became I-68.

odditude

Quote from: NE2 on April 21, 2015, 06:11:11 PM

you're right, it says "expressway" and "controlled-access" - which i misinterpreted as "freeway."

oscar

Quote from: odditude on April 22, 2015, 04:01:34 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 21, 2015, 06:11:11 PM

you're right, it says "expressway" and "controlled-access" - which i misinterpreted as "freeway."

"Controlled-access" usually means "freeway" ("expressway", not necessarily). But while US 48 has interchanges here and there, it has no sections where there are multiple interchanges and no at-grade intersections between them, so there is nothing consistently freeway-grade. 

US 48 has a "Freeway Ends 1 Mile" sign near its current western end. However, that sign immediately follows an at-grade intersection. True, that one-mile "freeway" section has an overpass, and an interchange at its west end, but IMO that doesn't make it a "freeway" by any reasonable definition. I don't think the next phase of construction, extending US 48 further west, will change that situation, since AIUI there will be no new interchanges added before the highway reconnects with WV 93 at an at-grade intersection west of the Mt. Storm power plant.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.