News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NC Quick Pass

Started by 02 Park Ave, August 10, 2015, 01:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

Is North Carolina's NC Quick Pass the best transponder for one to use?  I understand that it affords one great compatibility.
C-o-H

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 10, 2015, 01:49:49 PM
Is North Carolina's NC Quick Pass the best transponder for one to use?  I understand that it affords one great compatibility.
As far as I know NC Quickpass is the only transponder compatible with both Sunpass and EZ-Pass. If that compatibility is what you need it would probably be the best transponder.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

1995hoo

It depends on your needs and how many vehicles you have. We have three cars. I have one SunPass Mini and two E-ZPasses. There's no reason for us to have a third E-ZPass because we will never be driving all three cars at the same time, and there's no reason for a second SunPass because we always take my Acura sedan to Florida and will never have two cars down there at once.

I looked into the NC QuickPass but didn't like the terms and conditions. They offer two devices–one a sticker like the SunPass Mini and one a hard case similar in concept, but not appearance, to an E-ZPass. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to get one hard case transponder and list all your cars in your account.....no reason except that for some idiotic reason they won't let you do it. They require one transponder per car and won't let you list extra cars (whereas on my SunPass and E-ZPass accounts I have all three cars listed....SunPass doesn't balk at that even if you have the sticker transponder that's supposedly not transferable to another car). QuickPass also imposes a $20 up-front fee to get the hard-case device. For me, those two things were deal-breakers. When I got the SunPass Mini it cost me $5 up front, but they still had the deal (no longer offered) where you got $4.99 of toll credit to use within 30 days, meaning the device effectively cost 1¢.

BTW, per the advice of forum members here, I used scotch tape to stick the SunPass to the windshield instead of permanently mounting it the way Florida tells you to do it. I've never had a problem with it, and it's been that way since June 2011.

There was a partial discussion of this in the following thread. "mtantillo" is the guy I'd consider the forum expert on these issues, at least as far as the East Coast goes.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7815.0
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 10, 2015, 04:18:56 PM
As far as I know NC Quickpass is the only transponder compatible with both Sunpass and EZ-Pass. If that compatibility is what you need it would probably be the best transponder.

You forgot Peach Pass.  :cool:

1995hoo

Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 11, 2015, 09:34:34 PM

According to their website, Peach Pass is only compatible with SunPass and QuickPass but not E-ZPass.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 12, 2015, 07:29:58 AM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 11, 2015, 09:34:34 PM

According to their website, Peach Pass is only compatible with SunPass and QuickPass but not E-ZPass.

I meant for NC Quick Pass, it is also available in Florida, Georgia and the EZPass states; didn't mean the other way.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.