News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Inconsistent or incorrectly labelled overpasses

Started by cappicard, August 13, 2016, 11:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cappicard

Has anyone encountered an overpass from underneath where the sign is different from the actual name for said overpass?

In Lenexa, Kansas, College Blvd crosses over I-35 without interchanging with it. However, from drivers on I-35, the overpass is signed as 111th Street.

iPhone

catch22

I-94 Exit 231 in Michigan.  The EB exit ramp to Gratiot Ave. goes over the WB lanes.  The bridge is signed "Gratiot Ave." even though it's nowhere close to Gratiot at that point.

https://goo.gl/maps/QHZdo3HwhqE2

jeffandnicole

https://goo.gl/maps/piuJkHWS2e92

The NJ Turnpike under Rt. 70.  It's known as Marlton Pike in this area (and most addresses show Marlton Pike, not Rt. 70).  The rarely used John Rockerfeller Hwy street name would be much further east from this point.

cappicard

This may qualify as one.  Officially, US 69 throughout Overland Park is the Overland Parkway. Hardly anyone here outside of KDOT refers to 69 as its official name, save for traffic reporters on the radio and TV stations.

69 is labelled as such on interchanging streets and on I-35's southbound sign bridges, but not on 69 itself.

iPhone

cappicard

At one point or another, the Grandview Triangle had signs that said "Entering Triangle" on some of the side streets or on US 71 (prior to it being upgraded to I-49).

The name Three Trails Crossing Memorial Highway wasn't given to the Triangle officially until 2006.

I still, along most others, call it the Triangle.
This interchange complex had no official name prior to 2006.

iPhone

vdeane

There are a few rail overpasses over the Thruway still labeled "Conrail".  Hasn't been Conrail in a long time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: vdeane on August 15, 2016, 12:48:48 PM
There are a few rail overpasses over the Thruway still labeled "Conrail".  Hasn't been Conrail in a long time.
Reminds me of a rail overpass in Attalla, AL that still has the Family Lines System/Seaboard Coast Line logos on the sides of it, even though the line is now owned by the Alabama & Tennessee River Railway, and before that it was CSX.

Here in Huntsville, the overpasses along I-565 for Old Madison Pike and Bob Wallace Avenue both omit the first word of each road, making the signs say "Madison Pike" and "Wallace Avenue".
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

epzik8

Nobody can seem to agree whether the road prefixed "Cowenton" in the White Marsh-Perry Hall region of Baltimore County, Maryland is "Cowenton Road" or "Cowenton Avenue". I think before all the overpass label signs were replaced during the express lane construction, the I-95 Cowenton overpass was labeled Cowenton Avenue, but now it's Cowenton Road. Or it may be the other way around. It's different on maps depending on the map's publisher, too.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

AlexandriaVA

There still is a corporate entity known as "Conrail Shared Assets Operations", which basically exists to provide shared terminal facilities to CSX and NS. However yes, the old Conrail mainlines have been sold off.

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on August 15, 2016, 12:48:48 PM

Usually the railroad is in charge of maintaining those signs.  It's very common around Chicago to see railroad overpasses (viaducts) with Illinois Central Gulf, Chicago & NorthWestern, Milwaukee Road, and many other now-defunct railroads.  The current railroads don't seem to update those signs much.

Examples:

Faded Santa Fe, now BNSF.
Uncertain marking (blank) RR.
ICRR, now CN.
Faded Chicago & NorthWestern.
Indiana Harbor Belt RY.  Still exists.
CSX Transportation, amazingly kept up to date.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Brandon on August 16, 2016, 11:30:34 AM
CSX Transportation, amazingly kept up to date.
Not quite, as that logo is a few versions old. Here's the current one:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

FrCorySticha

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.