News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Letter case used on street blades

Started by Streetman, September 12, 2023, 06:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What letter case is used on street blades in your community?

(Almost) all uppercase
In process of changing from uppercase to mixed case
(Almost) all mixed case

Streetman

MUTCD specifies mixed case, but upper case has been traditional. Wondering how the transition is progressing.

mgk920

Quote from: Streetman on September 12, 2023, 06:50:05 PM
MUTCD specifies mixed case, but upper case has been traditional. Wondering how the transition is progressing.

Been done for several years now, City of Appleton, WI.

:nod:

Mike

jt4

Cincinnati seems to be fully committed to uppercase. Suburbs Fairfield and West Chester use mixed case on the street light mounted blades.

freebrickproductions

Overhead street blades have always been mixed case in Huntsville, IIRC, but started using it on all street blades in the mid-2010s and is still in the process of transitioning.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

1995hoo

They seem to be posting new mixed-case signs here when the old all-caps ones wear out or otherwise need replacing.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US 89

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 13, 2023, 07:33:11 AM
They seem to be posting new mixed-case signs here when the old all-caps ones wear out or otherwise need replacing.

This seems to be the case for a lot of places across the US. Was true for the majority of jurisdictions when I lived in Utah.

Also the case for ground-level street signs here in Tallahassee. Most overhead ones have used mixed-case for a while, but a lot of them (along with several of the ground-level ones) use a different font, which is especially noticeable because its "a"  is almost indistinguishable from an "o" . Any new signs are in mixed case and FHWA font. There are also lots of lighted overhead street blades that use all caps, mostly on FDOT roads, and they seem to be committed to keeping those that way. Just last year a couple of particularly prominent ones by the Capitol were replaced with new lighted signs in all caps.

andrepoiy

There's a lot of variation in Ontario as municipalities are free to make their street blades however they wish. In addition, street blade designs often change from one part of the city to the next as they were either different municipalities in the past, or the developer for a particular area chose a particular design.

Aurora ON: Mixed case but no capital letter for the designation

https://goo.gl/maps/DU8UDor5NtNw78sG7

One certain part of Mississauga ON: all upper case.

https://goo.gl/maps/Pt44U8NTJLeZAc1y6

Ottawa, ON (new signs): standard mixed case

https://goo.gl/maps/kBsevxT9SDGLAorv5

DTComposer

San Francisco has been moving from upper-case to mixed-case as signs are replaced (still maintaining the tradition of not including suffixes).

San Jose has been doing a full replacement (moving from dark blue to green reflective blades); both are mixed-case.

Rothman

Quote from: DTComposer on September 13, 2023, 03:49:55 PM
San Francisco has been moving from upper-case to mixed-case as signs are replaced (still maintaining the tradition of not including suffixes).

San Jose has been doing a full replacement (moving from dark blue to green reflective blades); both are mixed-case.
Huh.  The big green blades they used on arterials were mixed-case when I lived in San Francisco back in the late 1990s (not talking about the all-caps black on white, of course).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

The "Longspur Rd" sign seen above is of the style that was the norm around here for many years as to both typeface and the sign itself. More recently, new signs have rounded corners and omit the two "ridges" (for lack of a better word) on the top and bottom, which I think is a shame–for some reason I think those make the sign look more complete. Here's one that uses the new style (as a bonus, the word "Kingstowne" is misspelled, too).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DTComposer

Quote from: Rothman on September 13, 2023, 04:29:55 PM
Quote from: DTComposer on September 13, 2023, 03:49:55 PM

Huh.  The big green blades they used on arterials were mixed-case when I lived in San Francisco back in the late 1990s (not talking about the all-caps black on white, of course).

Sorry, I wasn't 100% clear. I was referring to the black on white blades, not the BGBs.

ran4sh

Athens-Clarke County in GA, as well as many of the metro Atlanta counties/cities (in particular Fulton County, DeKalb County, Cobb County, Gwinnett County), have used mixed case for as long as I'm aware of. As in, late 80s/early 90s and maybe even before then. Of course, these would have been unofficial fonts because most of these places didn't use Series E(M) - although some Atlanta signs did use E(M).

GDOT street name signage (usually seen at traffic signals), similarly, has been mixed case for that long.

Other north Georgia counties, such as Hall, Jackson, Walton, etc, only started using mixed case when the MUTCD started requiring it (i.e. as of adoption of the 2009 edition). Barrow County is an example of a county that still doesn't use mixed case (generally). Walton uses a non-standard font.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

WillWeaverRVA

In Virginia, Henrico and Chesterfield Counties manufacture their own street blade signs and have been mixed case for decades. Powhatan County also used mixed case signage with a strange block font for a while.

The City of Richmond (and in fact, most other localities in Virginia) used all uppercase until the MUTCD started requiring mixed case signage.

Virginia Beach resisted going to mixed-case signage for a few years after the MUTCD started requiring it, but now uses mixed-case signage in new installations.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

roadfro

Many Nevada cities embraced mixed-case SNSs for new installations when that requirement was adopted in the 2009 MUTCD–some areas (I believe City of Las Vegas was one) started using mixed-case before it became a requirement.

However, most communities still have plenty of all-caps SNSs around, but replace with mixed-case during street rehab projects or for one-off replacements.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Hobart

Milwaukee's replacing the uppercase signs with mixed case ones as the uppercase ones become unusable; it's in a state of "healthy blend" right now.

My hometown of Tinley Park, Illinois is doing the same thing, but I distinctly remember a time when everything was all uppercase about 10 years and earlier ago.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

jay8g

Seattle must have been one of the first cities to switch to mixed-case signs, all the way back in 1962. However, overhead ones were all-caps until sometime in the 2010s, so basically the opposite of a lot of other places. 

steviep24

Here in Rochester/Monroe County, NY it's around 60% mixed case now. They replace the signs as they get worn out or damaged and there are many uppercase blades that were installed just before the mixed case ones became the standard. Most overhead street blades on mast arms are still uppercase.

Interestingly, Wayne County, NY has been using mixed case blades for as long as I can remember. NYSDOT installed blades in Wayne county were uppercase and are getting replaced with mixed case as needed.

CtrlAltDel

The street blades in my hometown were all replaced en masse about five years ago, replacing all upper case with mixed case. Curiously, the new signs are not double-sided like the older ones. They just put up two back to back on the pole. Also, some intersections now have more than one set of signs, which I think is a bit strange.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jakeroot

Quote from: jay8g on September 17, 2023, 03:09:55 AM
Seattle must have been one of the first cities to switch to mixed-case signs, all the way back in 1962. However, overhead ones were all-caps until sometime in the 2010s, so basically the opposite of a lot of other places.

Thanks for sharing that photo, I was sure I had seen very old mixed-case street blades in Seattle before.

I'll have to find an archive photo, but Tacoma is similar, having adopted mixed-case street blades decades ago, with all-caps overhead street blades in use into the mid-2000s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.