News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New ownership for Twitter

Started by hbelkins, October 28, 2022, 04:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Thoughts on the change in ownership?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

None that comply with the various forum rules, no.

bandit957

Twitter couldn't be any worse than it already was.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

NWI_Irish96

Twitter is what you make of it. I use it more or less as a news source. 50% of what I follow is sports-related, 30% is local news/weather/traffic, the other 20% is people I actually know personally. Anybody who's posting mostly political stuff gets edited out of my feed pretty quickly. 99% of political opinions on Twitter or any other social media are pretty much boilerplate left-wing or right-wing.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

abefroman329

Quote from: bandit957 on October 28, 2022, 04:13:24 PMTwitter couldn't be any worse than it already was.
I agree that it's a cesspool and has been for quite some time, but it could absolutely get worse.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 28, 2022, 04:26:06 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on October 28, 2022, 04:13:24 PMTwitter couldn't be any worse than it already was.
I agree that it's a cesspool and has been for quite some time, but it could absolutely get worse.

Yes, it could get worse. But I honestly don't know anyone who would care. It's a self-contained bubble that is of huge importance to those in the bubble and mostly irrelevant to most everyone else. If Twitter disappeared, people would notice for about a week, then those displaced would soon find another bubble.

Alps

I rarely tweet and even less often check responses. No change for me.

kphoger

Twitter is for twits, isn't it?

Tweeter, on the other hand, was a boy scout before she went to Vietnam.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

I think that Twitter will become a more "Wild West"-type of website that the major social media platforms have turned away from since their inceptions. I think it's overall a good thing. Walking on egg shells while writing on public forums is lame.

Twitter has been incredibly shady with their methods of banning and the way they distribute verification. (i.e., journalists with a couple thousand followers have the blue check, while YouTubers with hundreds of thousands of subscribers don't). I hope to see Elon Musk make the platform more fun again.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Big John

I opened a twitter account more than 10 years ago.  Never sent a tweet.

JayhawkCO

Social media is terrible in general, but I use Twitter as a sort of chronological recap of the day's events and reactions to it. I don't use the Twitter app but rather a client instead so it's actually chronological vs. promoted nonsense that is the normal app. Now that it's going to turn into Truth Social II presented by Ye and Blood Emeralds, I'll have to find something else I suppose.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 04:26:17 PM
Never used it.

Ditto, I don't understand the appeal of the platform.

oscar

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 04:53:10 PM

My take exactly. Too many twits on Twitter. I doubt that will change, except maybe some twits will leave and be replaced by new ones, since twits with no lives have to do something with their time.

I get some indirect exposure to Twitter from political websites I frequent. Otherwise, I have no interest in participating.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Bruce

Twitter is fantastic for breaking news and alerts (to the point that many public institutions use it as their alerts system, since email isn't reliable and texts are annoying). I can get traffic alerts, transit alerts, notices from my power company and ISP, and just general news without having to check each website individually.

It's also great for cutting through customer service bullshit; if you have a problem, you tweet publicly at a company's support line and they'll try to move you along to the correct part of the support tree much faster than any other text-based method.

I hope it isn't destroyed under the new ownership, as there's no good alternative that offers a restrained text-focused social media experience.

hotdogPi

Fun fact: Muskmelon is one key away from Musk,elon.

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 28, 2022, 04:26:06 PM

Would that make it a deadpool?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kkt

I made a Twitter account so I could see the Mt. Rainier road opening status... which the park posts on Twitter but not their own web page.  I have yet to actually tweet anything.

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 04:53:10 PM

Tweeter, on the other hand, was a boy scout before she went to Vietnam.

For reasons unexplained she loved the Monkey Man.

zachary_amaryllis

I haven't seen any changes among the group I run with.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Takumi

Twitter and Elon deserve each other.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

It occurred to me the other day that I had no idea what Elon Musk even sounded like when I saw him pop up in a cameo in Iron Man 2.  I saw the movie when it was new, but that was back in 2010.  I guess that I've never heard the guy speak in those intervening years or never noticed.

bing101

Quote from: bandit957 on October 28, 2022, 04:13:24 PM
Twitter couldn't be any worse than it already was.
True and politics escalate on Twitter.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1 on October 28, 2022, 08:50:11 PM
Would that make it a deadpool?

A dead pool is where people pick celebrities they think will die within the next year. Our local classic rock station used to do one around New Year's.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.