News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Will anyone ever eclipse Michael Jackson?

Started by thspfc, November 18, 2021, 08:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

Quote from: Road Hog on November 20, 2021, 01:13:14 AM
Music (and music radio) are so fragmented these days that there may never be another artist that crosses over as big as Elvis, the Beatles, MJ or even Drake. It's more likely it'll be a female artist along the lines of Taylor Swift who is very popular among males.
Smartest thing I ever posted here.

golden eagle

Quote from: Rothman on December 13, 2023, 12:04:57 AM
Quote from: thspfc on December 12, 2023, 10:22:34 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on December 12, 2023, 09:30:08 PM
Drake doesn't even hold a candle to Bruno Mars, much less Michael Jackson or Prince. I do like some of Drake's music, but nothing he has will be considered classics except on throwback R&B stations 20 years from now.
Drake is objectively a bigger artist than Bruno Mars ever has been.

"Classic" is highly subjective. What are Bruno's "classics"?
Uptown Funk...

Drake's got mumble crap.

Bruno also has That's What I Like and his current work with Anderson .Paak as the duo Silk Sonic. At least, on a throwback R&B station in 20 years.

thspfc

Quote from: golden eagle on December 23, 2023, 12:39:16 AM
Drake doesn't even hold a candle to Bruno Mars, much less Michael Jackson or Prince. I do like some of Drake's music, but nothing he has will be considered classics except on throwback R&B stations 20 years from now.

Uptown Funk...

Drake's got mumble crap.

Bruno also has That's What I Like and his current work with Anderson .Paak as the duo Silk Sonic. At least, on a throwback R&B station in 20 years.
Uptown Funk is the only one that beats Drake's biggest hits, and Drake has more big hits overall.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on December 23, 2023, 01:27:18 PM

Uptown Funk...

Drake's got mumble crap.

Uptown Funk is the only one that beats Drake's biggest hits, and Drake has more big hits overall.
Bruno has a broader appeal and his songs have slipped deeper into popular culture.

Drake's just going to slip into oblivion.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on December 23, 2023, 08:55:43 PM

Uptown Funk...

Drake's got mumble crap.

Bruno has a broader appeal and his songs have slipped deeper into popular culture.

That's politician speak. Words that sound nice together. No evidence or even possible methodology of proof.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on December 24, 2023, 10:17:20 PM

Uptown Funk...

Drake's got mumble crap.

That's politician speak. Words that sound nice together. No evidence or even possible methodology of proof.
Pfft.  So's everything about this thread and the general subjectivity of musical taste.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on December 24, 2023, 11:23:42 PM

Uptown Funk...

Drake's got mumble crap.

Pfft.  So's everything about this thread and the general subjectivity of musical taste.
Music taste is subjective; how popular an artist is is not.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on December 25, 2023, 02:59:31 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 24, 2023, 11:23:42 PM

Uptown Funk...

Drake's got mumble crap.

Music taste is subjective; how popular an artist is is not.
Not in the sense we're talking about.

1995hoo

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 13, 2023, 10:31:17 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 13, 2023, 02:43:53 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 12, 2023, 07:06:16 AM
Quote from: Rothman on December 12, 2023, 06:53:07 AM
People still buy albums?

It's actually become in fashion again. I don't understand why, but it has.

It's because people are tired of online services jerking them around and deleting music they already paid for. With a physical album, the only way the person who sold it to you can get it back is by breaking into your house.

Sure, but there are still CDs and .mp3s. The hipsters seem to specifically be into vinyl though.

An "album" does not solely mean an LP record. A CD, or a download of a full set of songs (e.g., if you download the Beatles' Rubber Soul or whatever) is still an "album." The term originated in the era of 78-rpm records, when a "record" normally had one song per side (hence the Grammy Award category for "Record of the Year" referring to what is often called a "single" or to one track of an album) and an artist wishing to release a larger collection of songs released a set of records together in an "album." That term stuck when the invention of the LP made it possible to put more tracks on a single disc.

The one that always puzzles me is when younger people use the word "digital" to refer solely to downloads, as if a CD were somehow not "digital" despite it being right there in the full name and logo ("Compact Disc Digital Audio").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Road Hog

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 14, 2024, 02:18:58 PM
People still buy albums?

It's because people are tired of online services jerking them around and deleting music they already paid for. With a physical album, the only way the person who sold it to you can get it back is by breaking into your house.

Sure, but there are still CDs and .mp3s. The hipsters seem to specifically be into vinyl though.

An "album" does not solely mean an LP record. A CD, or a download of a full set of songs (e.g., if you download the Beatles' Rubber Soul or whatever) is still an "album." The term originated in the era of 78-rpm records, when a "record" normally had one song per side (hence the Grammy Award category for "Record of the Year" referring to what is often called a "single" or to one track of an album) and an artist wishing to release a larger collection of songs released a set of records together in an "album." That term stuck when the invention of the LP made it possible to put more tracks on a single disc.

The one that always puzzles me is when younger people use the word "digital" to refer solely to downloads, as if a CD were somehow not "digital" despite it being right there in the full name and logo ("Compact Disc Digital Audio").
I'm guessing they mean an MP3 or similar file format that is portable. The option is disappearing fast, but it used to be you could either "rip" CDs to obtain the file or "burn" the file onto an audio CD. Those capable computers will soon be like gold, I predict.

7/8

Digital vs. physical. You're right that a CD technically falls under both categories, but younger people think of digital as meaning "on a computer", in which case a CD is only digital once you burn the files off of it.

Quote from: Road Hog on January 14, 2024, 09:51:04 PM
I'm guessing they mean an MP3 or similar file format that is portable. The option is disappearing fast, but it used to be you could either "rip" CDs to obtain the file or "burn" the file onto an audio CD. Those capable computers will soon be like gold, I predict.

I doubt it. You can buy an external CD/DVD burner for $30CAD that plugs in to your computer via USB.

vdeane

Quote from: Road Hog on January 14, 2024, 09:51:04 PM
People still buy albums?

It's possible to buy and download MP3s directly, at least from Amazon, although it seems like they keep making it less and less convenient to do so (I so miss the days when I could just add items to the MP3 cart, pay all at once, and then download a ZIP file with everything already organized in folders by artist/album).  Between my desktop, my laptop, my phone, and my external hard drive with backups of my desktop and laptop, the copyright owners would have to hack into a lot of stuff to prevent me from playing something whenever I want (note that I don't use the Amazon Music app or anything like that; I just play the MP3s in VLC).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.