News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Harrisonburg Southeast Connector (VA 280)

Started by Takumi, January 02, 2012, 08:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

While browsing through the VHP last night I noticed an entry for a new VA 280, scheduled to be completed in 2014. I also found a summary on VDOT's website here. The corridor is partially an upgrade of Stone Spring Road and mostly new alignment. This PDF from VDOT has a diagram of the project, but is vague on where VA 280's west end will be, as the only 280 shield on it is just outside the city limits. The VDOT web page and PDF both state that its east end will be at US 33, but Stone Spring Road is shown to go past both US 11 and VA 42 as new construction. Although the upgrades to the existing parts of Stone Spring are in progress, I don't think this will be signed as 280 until some of the new construction is built, which is supposed to happen sometime next year.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

All we had to go off of was the project brocure from VDOT, which is indeed vague on where the western end will be.

Mapmikey

I have received a report that there is a rectangle VA 280 sign now up at SR 710.  Construction is still on-going in this area as far as I know...

Mapmikey

74/171FAN

More of this (from Peach Grove Avenue to VA 253) is expected to open tonight according to VDOT.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

HTM Duke

As stated before, VA-280 is open from its new alignment near the Harrisonburg city limits to VA-235/Port Republic Rd.  It has retained the Stone Spring Rd name; SR-726 is now Apple Valley Rd.  I saw no new posting for VA-280 from VA-253 at the time I was there, but it was posted at the intersection with Peach Grove Ave.  The last segment of roadway (from VA-253 to US-33) was under construction with a good bit of paving seemed to have been done, and is on track to open this spring.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

Mapmikey

HTM Duke

Quote from: HTM Duke on February 27, 2015, 04:11:42 AM
I saw no new posting for VA-280 from VA-253 at the time I was there..

Well, I take back what I said earlier.  I was back in Harrisonburg Wednesday for the last game of the season for JMU's WBB team, and I made it a point to recheck this intersection.  It's fully posted now from VA-253 (Unisigns, oh joy...), and also along the short bit of VA-280 eastbound that's open from 253 to Reservoir St.  (Due to time constraints, I couldn't check out VA-280 westbound.)  The difference a couple of weeks can make...
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

Does anyone know if VA 280 has been posted on the roadway west to US 11 or VA 42?

Mike

Mapmikey

Finally got to field visit VA 280 today.  It is well posted outside the City of Harrisonburg and not posted at all within it.  The road is marked with BEGIN/END State Maintenance at the boundary west of SR 925 (which also has comically large route shields) Peach Grove Ave.  There is a VA 280 WEST shield west of SR 925 before the boundary.

US 11 is posted from VA 280 but VA 42 is not.  From US 11 and VA 42 there are no indications of VA 280 or that one can reach US 33 east of town while avoiding downtown.  Fully posted at VA 253 and US 33.

It is a useful bypass although there is already development coming along it.  Speed Limit is 45 outside the city and mostly 35 within the city.

74/171FAN

I am glad you finally got out there.  I had contemplated at one point trying to ask JMU or Harrisonburg friends about it, but I was expecting a response of "What are you talking about?" since it does not have an interchange with I-81.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.