Ohio Road Meet 2019 - Portsmouth (May 18)

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, October 03, 2018, 04:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which city/event would you be most interested in visiting/participating

Portsmouth-Oh 823 completion (will need assistance)
9 (64.3%)
Findlay - I-75-US 68-Oh 15 interchange/Old US 25 (Dixie Highway)
1 (7.1%)
Zanesville - National Road Museum/US 40
1 (7.1%)
Cleveland/Cuyahoga Co Bridge Tour
1 (7.1%)
Other (please state your locale & road(s) of choice)
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 02, 2018, 03:39:48 PM

hbelkins

There's still a lot of button copy along US 52 between Portsmouth and South Point, for anyone who's interested.

There's also this barn along OH 335 south of Minford, near there the new exit is being built (Shumway Hollow Road, maybe?) that's adorned with a bunch of signs, including a KY 7 sign from late 70's-early 80's vintage.

2017 Various KY pics Jan-June - 1053 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Interested, but will have to see closer to time.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

seicer

That continuous sign I believe was at the interchange with the Ashland bridges along US 52. The sign would have been along US 52 westbound.

cl94

Way too early for me to commit, but I'm definitely interested. Depends on a million other things at home.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

okroads

Should be able to make this one as it's only two hours away.

signalman

I've got my eye on this one.  I'd be able to get a couple of new Ohio counties on the trip.  Not sure what new mileage I could get traveling to/from this without consulting maps more closely.

ericnear

I expect I'll be able to attend Portsmouth as well. My dad lives nearby, in McDermott.
Proud of my hometown (Ironton, OH) but wouldn't ever leave my adopted home.

A.J. Bertin

Sandor - is it really only a rumor that this meet is happening?
-A.J. from Michigan

Hot Rod Hootenanny

No rumor.
I was being silly in the other thread, following up others who were mentioning this meet.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 27, 2019, 11:52:35 PM
No rumor.
I was being silly in the other thread, following up others who were mentioning this meet.

Oh okay... haha! I started to say... I'm looking forward to this meet and would have been bummed if it's not actually happening.
-A.J. from Michigan

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Tentative route for Portsmouth Meet:

My Delormes map program predates Oh 823, thus the routing along local roads near 823's routing.
Lunch will most likely be held at either Portsmouth Brewing Company or Scioto Ribber (H.B. has referenced this restaurant). I'm going to make another trip to Portsmouth in March or April (date depending on weather and work availability) before I finalize this decision.

Besides 823, other stops to include...
http://bridgehunter.com/oh/scioto/carl-d-perkins/ (Carl Perkins Bridge)
http://bridgehunter.com/oh/scioto/us-grant/ (US Grant Bridge)
http://bridgehunter.com/oh/scioto/bh50113/ (Otway Covered Bridge)

As well as
Portsmouth flood wall murals
Labold Field - First home of the Detroit Lions.

Alps

Scioto Ribber is a steak place. That seems a bit over the top for lunch. Maybe dinner (it's also a bar).

seicer

The Scioto Ribber (having been there many times since it was down the highway) is dark in the front and has some odd seating arrangements in the back. It wasn't very spacious - booths that could hold four, some tables scattered. It was also noisy. Portsmouth Brewing is a far better option for a meet, IMO.

hbelkins

I have never been to the Scioto Ribber. I'm just going on the food recommendation of a co-worker who races and/or attends races at Portsmouth fairly frequently.

A reminder for those who came to my Tri-State meet that the new Ironton-Russell bridge is now complete, if anyone wants to go check it out before or after the meet. There's one of the metal piers for the old bridge still standing on the Ohio side, as well. The old yellow "Yield" sign is gone, however.

Hopefully there won't be major flooding ongoing in May.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2019, 07:23:09 PM

Main reason I went with a May date instead of April. Less chance of high water along the Scioto and Ohio Rivers.

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 28, 2019, 10:12:51 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2019, 07:23:09 PM

Main reason I went with a May date instead of April. Less chance of high water along the Scioto and Ohio Rivers.

I hope that's the case. The worst flooding I can remember in my lifetime happened in May 1984. One community here lists last weekend's flooding as the eighth-worst flood ever. If the ground stays as wet as it is, it won't take but a couple of inches of rain to trigger massive flooding upstream again along the Big Sandy and Kanawha/New basins.

hbelkins

Just chiming in to see if a lunch time and location has yet been set.

Also, trying to figure out from the map what the order of the tour will be. Bridges first then 823? Or the out-and-back to Wheelersburg, then the bridges? I'm hoping it will be the bridges and downtown stuff first, because if so, my plan is to keep going down to Ironton after the tour reaches the end of the bypass, then up OH 93 to Jackson, then down US 35 so I can eyeball the construction south of Point Pleasant. Lunch time also might play a part on if I come up on Friday night, or get up early Saturday morning to make the drive.

jpi

Per Facebook, I am now going, already booked my hotel room, just me going, Steph has to work on Friday, looking forward to it, don't get to this part of the Ohio Valley very much except passing through on I-64
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Quote from: jpi on April 17, 2019, 05:11:29 PM
Per Facebook, I am now going, already booked my hotel room, just me going, Steph has to work on Friday, looking forward to it, don't get to this part of the Ohio Valley very much except passing through on I-64

Is there a Facebook event page?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on April 17, 2019, 04:11:18 PM
Just chiming in to see if a lunch time and location has yet been set.

Also, trying to figure out from the map what the order of the tour will be. Bridges first then 823? Or the out-and-back to Wheelersburg, then the bridges? I'm hoping it will be the bridges and downtown stuff first, because if so, my plan is to keep going down to Ironton after the tour reaches the end of the bypass, then up OH 93 to Jackson, then down US 35 so I can eyeball the construction south of Point Pleasant. Lunch time also might play a part on if I come up on Friday night, or get up early Saturday morning to make the drive.

Lunch will be at Portsmouth Brewing Company. High Noon.

Bridges first, then north to 823.

I know the map, upthread, looks confusing (mainly because it predates Oh 823 construction and Google Maps was giving me hassles once I get to 10 POIs). I'll work on something more discernible before the end of April.

hbelkins

Is there a Facebook event for this meet? If so, someone please send me an invite. Not sure if I can make it or not, but I'd like to be able to keep up with the discussion there too.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on May 02, 2019, 01:37:13 PM
Is there a Facebook event for this meet? If so, someone please send me an invite. Not sure if I can make it or not, but I'd like to be able to keep up with the discussion there too.
You're missing nothing. Anything that has been posted on FB has migrated to here.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Made a trip to Portsmouth on Thursday to re-scout the area.

• Unless we go over 20 attendees (again), parking won't be an issue. There is a parking lot across the street from Portsmouth Brewing Company.
  • Alexandria Point is within walking distance of PBC and provides viewing of both bridges over the Ohio River.
  • Seeing the water level for the Scioto & Ohio Rivers was down from when I was last down there after Christmas, I'm hoping we can access the boat ramp & back parking lot of Portsmouth Raceway Park (other side of the Scioto from Alexandria Point)
  • There is a bluff overlooking Ky 8 & US 23. H.B, do you know if we can access that without any grief from the fireworks shop? Though that dirt lot is very rough for anyone not using a jeep or pickup truck.
  • Found the garage with the roadsigns facing out (towards the road) that H.B. had mentioned. They are located on 'Lester Farms,' just north of the entrance to Portsmouth Airport & Shumway Hollow Rd (and access to Oh 823).
Now Lester Farms is private property, so I'm not sure we can get access to the signs. https://goo.gl/maps/GnVZEp47XQCYePGw7
Maybe we can all park along the ditch and point camera out the windows.

Dinner plans and traveling to the new Ironton Bridge will be left up to attendees at the end of the scheduled travels.
---
The real problem I'm having right now is coming up with a map of the proposed route. My Delormes map program predates Oh 823, and Google maps is giving me grief when I go past 10 POIs. So if anyone has any suggestions to help me with plotting out the itinerary, I would appreciate it.
Google Map link to Itinerary: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gfh8B6uqkZ_sQYy8ILRxngbO0SGynmmi&usp=sharing

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 03, 2019, 04:10:34 PM
  • There is a bluff overlooking Ky 8 & US 23. H.B, do you know if we can access that without any grief from the fireworks shop?
Unknown. In all honesty, I had forgotten that place was there.

amroad17

Quote from: hbelkins on October 06, 2018, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 05, 2018, 10:59:16 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on October 05, 2018, 04:02:05 PM
How about Cincinnati? There hasn't been a Cincinnati meet since 2013.
Put one together. I don't have the wherewithal to assemble a Cincy meet.

Is there anything going on in the Cincinnati area, that hasn't been seen before, that would merit a meet?

Maybe the KY 9 relocation. I don't know of anything else.
Unless you haven't seen thousands of orange barrels before, no, there isn't much going on around here.  Maybe in five to ten years after I-75 is completely re-done "thru the valley" or the I-75/I-74 interchange is re-done will there be worth having a meet for.  Oh yeah, the Queen City Ave area just west of the Western Hills viaduct has had a lot going on also.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.