News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ohio Turnpike 3rd Lane

Started by 02 Park Ave, August 20, 2014, 05:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

What is the current schedule for completing the third lane?

Mr. G sends
C-o-H

rawmustard

You might need to be more specific. I'm aware of one project in Toledo which should be done this year, but there could be other projects in other areas of which I'm not aware.

02 Park Ave

I was refering to the completion of the Youngstown to Toledo third lane project.  I didn't know that there other locations under consideration for widening.

Mr. G sends.
C-o-H

agentsteel53

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 20, 2014, 06:44:16 PM
Mr. G sends.

you can put this in your profile and not have to type it every time.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

tdindy88

I drove nearly the entire Turnpike last 4th of July weekend (just to say that I did) and saw construction between 475 and 75 in the Toledo area for that widening project, may have gone back a mile or so to the west of that. I read up on construction beforehand and I believe they are expecting it to be finished this year. There were a couple of other projects along that corridor but I believe they were reconstructing stretches of highway that were already six lanes.

pianocello

The schedule on the Turnpike's website says the Toledo section will be completed on November 17. According to cleveland.com, that's the last segment in the Youngstown to Toledo project. (link)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

froggie

So the bridge over the Cuyahoga River is now 6 lanes?  I recall that being the other gap, though it's been 5 years since I last drove it.

ysuindy

Quote from: froggie on August 22, 2014, 11:05:19 AM
So the bridge over the Cuyahoga River is now 6 lanes?  I recall that being the other gap, though it's been 5 years since I last drove it.

Yes it is.  I only get through there a few times a year and I think it has been three lanes for awhile.  Looks like Google Streetview went through during construction

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Richfield,+OH/@41.25602,-81.554894,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sTgh07eeUezAcHkRxS2AD5w!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x8830dc5dcecff6af:0x90076d3dbbae1d92

According to this story, it was completed in 2003

http://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/700M-Turnpike-Project-Bulks-Up-160-Mi-in-Ohio/5135/

thenetwork

The twin bridges over the Cuyahoga River had been 3-laned almost since the day the last span was completed.  It was the stretch between SR-8 and SR-14/I-480 in Streetsboro which took forever to complete -- mainly due to an oddly-designed railroad overpass that prevented the third lane in the median from being built in a timely manner (2 sets of bridge supports in the median instead of the standard one).

Are the third lane sections of the Turnpike in Toledo currently under construction part of the original 3-lane plan?  ISTR that originally, the Toledo to Youngstown project was to only be between I-280 and the I-76/I-80 split?

02 Park Ave

What is the status of the third lane construction west of MM 64?
C-o-H

sandwalk

The 3rd Lane Project is complete and will be open this Monday, November 17th.  Here's a fairly detailed article with some project history information from the Toledo Blade newspaper:

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2014/11/13/2-decades-later-widening-of-turnpike-finally-finished.html

02 Park Ave

It is a very comprehensive article.

So the widening project is finally completed 14 years late.  No wonder there will be no ceremony.
C-o-H

Tom958

Quote from: Toledo Blade articleBut just because the turnpike is done with widening and service-plaza reconstruction doesn't mean its construction managers will be out of work.

The toll road now is wrapping up the third year of a major program to replace concrete pavement that dates back to the turnpike's original construction in the mid-1950s. The pavement wasn't replaced when lanes were added.

That pavement, overlaid with asphalt surface several times since it was built, is to be dug up and completely replaced in stages, with the first such work having occurred primarily in the Fremont/​Sandusky area and near Cleveland.

By the end of next month, Mr. Greenslade said, 21.2 miles will have been rebuilt on the eastbound side and 16.1 miles on the westbound side. Another 9.8 miles eastbound and 11.0 miles westbound will be rebuilt next year, he said.

Please tell me that at least some of this work was done as part of the widening....

I'm wondering why they're only doing spot replacements when Georgia (for instance) routinely removes and replaces lengthy stretches of original concrete pavement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.