News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google has aquired new imagery for Columbus

Started by vtk, October 06, 2011, 01:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

It seems Google has aquired a new, very high resolution imagery source covering central Ohio.  The resolution seems to be possibly as good as 6in, and according to Google Earth, it dates from late last spring.  No source is attributed in Google Earth.  This imagery is now featured on the default "satellite" view layer; it replaces the 2007-vintage OSIP imagery which had been the default since 2009.

I wish I knew where this imagery came from.  I also wish I knew why it wasn't made available sooner; Tampa's aerial imagery was taken about the same time, and appeared in Google Maps just weeks later.

Anyway, this is the first time in recent memory that Google Maps / Google Earth has displayed relatively recent, high-resolution aerial imagery for Columbus, and I thought some of the forum readers might like to explore some recently-changed features.  International Gateway can finally be seen in its completed configuration; the Main St Bridge is almost done; City Center Mall is being demolished; the US 40/42 interchange is all torn up; the first section of Hayden Run Blvd is completed but barricaded off...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Truvelo

I've just been taking a look at the new imagery. Very nice it is too but I noticed my friends' house near Summerford just off route 56 is all pixelated as though the ISO has been cranked up. Despite this I can see incredible details such as each individual wire on utility poles. When I visit the area again in November I'll take another look the US40/42 interchange. I'm sure I posted something here about it before.
Speed limits limit life

vtk

Quote from: Truvelo on October 06, 2011, 02:19:22 PM
When I visit the area again in November I'll take another look the US40/42 interchange. I'm sure I posted something here about it before.

It looks just the same as before, except the loop ramps are now gone.  I'm a little disappointed ODOT didn't make a 4-lane overpass, but I suppose twinning US 42 in the future would be easier now that the loops aren't in the way.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Google didn't get "updated" images for Western Delaware County. Was looking this afternoon and parts west of the Scioto are still from 2009.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

6a

Yeah, it was definitely last spring, as my old car is in my driveway and a freshly tilled garden that I didn't bother with this year is visible :sombrero:

vtk

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 07, 2011, 09:21:30 PM
Google didn't get "updated" images for Western Delaware County. Was looking this afternoon and parts west of the Scioto are still from 2009.

If I knew where the imagery came from, I might be able to guess at why.  You might try Google Earth's historical imagery feature, in case the 2010 imagery is there and for some reason not the default.

Zmapper

The new imagery is recognizable in Google Earth by the ~ 60 mi * 40 mi boxes. The quality is excellent.

pianocello

Quote from: vtk on October 07, 2011, 10:43:13 PM
If I knew where the imagery came from, I might be able to guess at why.  You might try Google Earth's historical imagery feature, in case the 2010 imagery is there and for some reason not the default.

That may be the case. While I don't know enough about Central Ohio to be able to know for sure, I do know that Google had 2004 satellite pics as the default until last year, even though they took a new picture every year.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.