News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

May I create the AA Roads Subreddit?

Started by CapeCodder, June 25, 2019, 03:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

There aren't many roadgeeking subreddits out there, and I'd like to give AARoads a Reddit presence.

Scott5114

It would probably be better to give it a name like /r/roadgeek or something like that, to avoid the appearance that any of us running the place here have anything to do with running the subreddit.

I'm not sure how popular such a subreddit would be. The roadgeek community is unusually hesitant to branch out to new sites. Probably because we're small enough that if you fracture us between too many different sites, it's not possible to hold a viable discussion anymore. Thus why the AARoads forum only caught on when MTR became basically unusable, why BipRoads never really took off, etc.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CapeCodder

All right, figured I'd give it a shot.

JREwing78

Judging by the status of the existing r/roadgeeking and r/roadgeeks subreddits, that tends to support Scott5114's analysis.

hotdogPi

I would say no. Don't split the group.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on June 25, 2019, 09:36:21 PM
I would say no. Don't split the group.

I don't think the group would necessarily be split. There are a bunch of different roadgeek groups on Facebook, and there are several people active on them (that many of us know) who aren't members here, and alternatively, there are folks here who aren't on Facebook.

Such a forum might give me reason to check out Reddit, though, as I am a very infrequent visitor; going there only to look at specific things that are shared elsewhere.

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 25, 2019, 06:23:59 PMThus why the AARoads forum only caught on when MTR became basically unusable...

I was under the impression that this forum was created because MTR circled the drain.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on June 26, 2019, 12:00:21 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 25, 2019, 06:23:59 PMThus why the AARoads forum only caught on when MTR became basically unusable...

I was under the impression that this forum was created because MTR circled the drain.

This forum was here before MTR "circled the drain". It was a convenient landing place for me, once I gave up on MTR.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

I created /r/roadgeekingintheusa. Stuff does not have to be from America though.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

Is there a reason why you called it roadgeekingintheusa if you didn't intend to limit it to the US?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: vdeane on July 02, 2019, 08:48:47 PM
Is there a reason why you called it roadgeekingintheusa if you didn't intend to limit it to the US?

Because it sounded good, obviously.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on July 02, 2019, 08:48:47 PM
I don't even remember. /r/ roadgeek was taken. I created this ages ago so I dunno.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CapeCodder

Just created r/RoadEnthusiasts. It's worldwide.

Rothman

I especially like the "post here idiots" post.

I don't see the value.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on July 03, 2019, 11:29:04 AM
I especially like the "post here idiots" post.

I don't see the value.
I forgot that I posted that! LOL I never expected anyone else to see it. Oh well IDC.

kphoger

Was there a comma?  If not, then people might think you expect them post their idiots there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

adventurernumber1

I've never made a Reddit account (as of yet), but I've definitely seen a whole lot of content from the site. I've always pondered perhaps one day making an account on there, but a roadgeek presence of some sort on the site would facilitate that plan even more. It would be very negative if this would take away members from this forum, but I don't suspect that would probably happen. As long as it doesn't, I could see this as a very positive and interesting endeavor. In any case, I would definitely agree with Scott's recommendation not to specifically use AARoads in the naming, so as to avoid direct association with the people who run this forum.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.