News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on September 02, 2021, 11:24:23 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on September 02, 2021, 10:57:24 AM
People who drive honkin' ass big pickups that can't park them, taking up 2 spaces.

I get the impression that a lot of these folks don't even care that they're taking up two spaces.  They feel entitled to two spaces.

I don't have a problem with huge trucks using two spots. They may be able to squeeze into a regular spot, but with very little neutral space between surrounding cars, it becomes an annoying experience as people cannot open their doors barely far enough to even exit their vehicles.

Trucks should be able to use two spots, but only in the back-forty.

MikieTimT

Neglecting to use turn signals.  Seems to be predominantly a trait of those from the state to the southwest of us that have delusions of being their own country again.  It's both a safety and courtesy thing in my mind.

webny99

People who drive honkin' ass big pickups that can't park them, taking up 2 spaces.

I get the impression that a lot of these folks don't even care that they're taking up two spaces.  They feel entitled to two spaces.

Which is fine, as long as it's not two prime parking spaces. I have no issues whatsoever with a large vehicle occupying two spaces if it's in a sparsely occupied part of a large parking lot, just not in the prime spots near the storefront.

Because when it comes to parking, big vehicles are an inconvenience for both its driver and other drivers. If they do try to fit in a single spot, it's not only an inconvenience for them to have to get in and out extra cautiously (and worry about other people hitting their car), it's also an inconvenience for the people they're parked next to, who now also have to worry about those things.

In short, a big vehicle taking up two parking spots in a large parking lot is fine and understandable, but there are tradeoffs: you should recognize that parking spaces weren't made for your size vehicle, and be prepared to park further away and walk the extra steps if you want to take two spaces.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on September 02, 2021, 11:32:52 AM

I don't have a problem with huge trucks using two spots. They may be able to squeeze into a regular spot, but with very little neutral space between surrounding cars, it becomes an annoying experience as people cannot open their doors barely far enough to even exit their vehicles.

The same goes for shiny, fancy sports cars.  Want to take up two spaces to avoid risk of door dings?  Great, just be sure to park in the back of the lot where no one else might need that second spot.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: snowc on September 02, 2021, 11:30:26 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 28, 2021, 05:43:42 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 05, 2020, 08:37:08 PM
People who don't put carts into the corral neatly.  It's amazing how many times I'll put a cart away in one that's "full" but which magically gains room for double the amount of carts when I fix it (yeah, it bothers me so much that I actually take the time to organize them into a row of small carts and a row of big carts).
vdeane's presence was needed at the Wegmans near us. "If I just shove harder, the cart will fit!"  (Picture doesn't show the big sign saying to put the small carts on the left and the big carts on the right.)
[img snipped]
wait they have wegmans in virginia?

They sure do, and North Carolina as well. Much of their expansion from the Rochester area has been in a southward direction, although they have also expanded east with some locations in Massachusetts. No locations west of Erie, PA, as of yet. https://www.wegmans.com/about-us/future-store-locations/

And hey, it's funny that I never thought about this until now, but Wegmans approached and entered the NYC market through PA and NJ even though they started in NY - how fitting!

MikieTimT

My big-ass truck, and it literally has a big ass being a dually, gets parked in the boonies and I expend precious calories to transport myself to the front door.  It's surprising how many retailers really don't consider the width of larger vehicles when striping their spots.  If I don't have a choice, I'll shoehorn into one spot by backing in, which puts the width where it affects others the least.  It's a courtesy and safety thing.

snowc

Quote from: webny99 on September 02, 2021, 11:44:00 AM
Quote from: snowc on September 02, 2021, 11:30:26 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 28, 2021, 05:43:42 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 05, 2020, 08:37:08 PM
People who don't put carts into the corral neatly.  It's amazing how many times I'll put a cart away in one that's "full" but which magically gains room for double the amount of carts when I fix it (yeah, it bothers me so much that I actually take the time to organize them into a row of small carts and a row of big carts).
vdeane's presence was needed at the Wegmans near us. "If I just shove harder, the cart will fit!"  (Picture doesn't show the big sign saying to put the small carts on the left and the big carts on the right.)
[img snipped]
wait they have wegmans in virginia?

They sure do, and North Carolina as well. Much of their expansion from the Rochester area has been in a southward direction, although they have also expanded east with some locations in Massachusetts. No locations west of Erie, PA, as of yet. https://www.wegmans.com/about-us/future-store-locations/

And hey, it's funny that I never thought about this until now, but Wegmans approached and entered the NYC market through PA and NJ even though they started in NY - how fitting!
Thats really interesting!

jakeroot

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 02, 2021, 11:45:36 AM

My big-ass truck, and it literally has a big ass being a dually, gets parked in the boonies and I expend precious calories to transport myself to the front door.  It's surprising how many retailers really don't consider the width of larger vehicles when striping their spots.  If I don't have a choice, I'll shoehorn into one spot by backing in, which puts the width where it affects others the least.  It's a courtesy and safety thing.

I have actually designed parking lots on a semi-professional level. The widths are quite standardized and are significantly affected by zoning codes. Increasing the width of each spot could reduce total spots below the required minimum for the square footage of the lot improvements. You could increase the stall sizes, but that would result in more compact stalls elsewhere in the lot.

GenExpwy

Quote from: jakeroot on September 02, 2021, 12:12:00 PM

I have actually designed parking lots on a semi-professional level. The widths are quite standardized and are significantly affected by zoning codes. Increasing the width of each spot could reduce total spots below the required minimum for the square footage of the lot improvements. You could increase the stall sizes, but that would result in more compact stalls elsewhere in the lot.

I like the variation where there are double lines between each space. It helps enforce a buffer zone between vehicles, even when someone does a mediocre job of parking.

Quote from: kphoger on September 02, 2021, 11:40:31 AM
The same goes for shiny, fancy sports cars.  Want to take up two spaces to avoid risk of door dings?  Great, just be sure to park in the back of the lot where no one else might need that second spot.

I have seen a car take up four spaces (2×2) at the Corning NY Wegmans. It was way far back, farther than the red car in the link above, and it was a Rolls-Royce.

MikieTimT

Quote from: GenExpwy on September 03, 2021, 05:33:51 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 02, 2021, 12:12:00 PM

I like the variation where there are double lines between each space. It helps enforce a buffer zone between vehicles, even when someone does a mediocre job of parking.

Quote from: kphoger on September 02, 2021, 11:40:31 AM

I have seen a car take up four spaces (2×2) at the Corning NY Wegmans. It was way far back, farther than the red car in the link above, and it was a Rolls-Royce.

Shocking that they do their own shopping at that level of financial attainment.

roadman65

I hate when a pick up with a trailer comes into a convenience store gas station to pump gas.  His rear end blocks the driveway into the pumps, which I can tolerate.  However, when the driver is done pumping his gas, and decides to go inside for a snack or use the restroom while still leaving his vehicle blocking a driveway (which could create a situation if a first responder needs to circumvent the property) which is very rude and thoughtless of others by the driver.

I had one at Wawa where I had to go around him.  Afterwards spent time inside the store, came out, and still his vehicle had not moved!  I was in the store longer than he needed to gas up, even gas up some cans, as some landscapers fill their gas cans up for their ride on mowers, and had no clue that he was blocking traffic for several minutes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman65 on September 03, 2021, 11:37:54 AM
I had one at Wawa where I had to go around him.  Afterwards spent time inside the store, came out, and still his vehicle had not moved!  I was in the store longer than he needed to gas up, even gas up some cans, as some landscapers fill their gas cans up for their ride on mowers, and had no clue that he was blocking traffic for several minutes.
I need to jump off this one.

Landscapers, that instead of filling gas cans at the pump and then filling the ride-on lawnmowers with those, instead open the trailer, drive the lawnmower out, and then fill it at a third pump (since they're already taking up two). This mentality seems to be a Cape Cod thing. It makes the tropes from the movie Summer Catch look quite reasonable.

allniter89

similar:
the main drag in town has center-of-street diagonal parking, and often one has to divert around them because they've left the ass (or the front) end hanging out into traffic,

*if you can't park it, you can't drive it*
Or people driving jacked up pickups so the headlights are in your mirror  :angry:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SectorZ on September 03, 2021, 12:09:19 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 03, 2021, 11:37:54 AM
I need to jump off this one.

Landscapers, that instead of filling gas cans at the pump and then filling the ride-on lawnmowers with those, instead open the trailer, drive the lawnmower out, and then fill it at a third pump (since they're already taking up two). This mentality seems to be a Cape Cod thing. It makes the tropes from the movie Summer Catch look quite reasonable.

Unless the pumps are full, what's the issue?

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 03, 2021, 11:12:57 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on September 03, 2021, 12:09:19 PM

Unless the pumps are full, what's the issue?

well, they weren't full until the landscapers showed up and took the last three!

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: webny99 on September 02, 2021, 11:40:23 AM

Which is fine, as long as it's not two prime parking spaces. I have no issues whatsoever with a large vehicle occupying two spaces if it's in a sparsely occupied part of a large parking lot, just not in the prime spots near the storefront.

The parking lot at my work has a row labeled 'compact cars only'. my Camry fits fine, and no door bumping issues. But quite frequently someone with one of the aforementioned vehicles tries to shoehorn himself in there, and doesn't have the courtesy to leave a can opener so i can enter my car.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

SSOWorld

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 02, 2021, 11:34:50 AM
Neglecting to use turn signals.  Seems to be predominantly a trait of those from the state to the southwest of us that have delusions of being their own country again.  It's both a safety and courtesy thing in my mind.
If there is nobody and I mean nobody at the intersection and you turn left, do you use your signal?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 04, 2021, 10:54:08 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on September 02, 2021, 11:34:50 AM
If there is nobody and I mean nobody at the intersection and you turn left, do you use your signal?

Why wouldn't you? If there is nobody and I mean nobody at the intersection, do you stop? If there's nobody on the road, do you constantly speed to unnormal speeds? If there's nobody on the road, do you shotgun some beers?

jakeroot

I buckle my seatbelt even when I'm parked or not moving. Some things are just habits. I cannot imagine turning without a signal as it's a habit.

J N Winkler

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 04, 2021, 10:54:08 AMIf there is nobody and I mean nobody at the intersection and you turn left, do you use your signal?

Yes.  In fact, I disagree with the school of thought that holds that a turn signal should not be used unless there is another road user in sight who will benefit.  Sightlines are rarely good enough for a driver to be certain that he or she sees everyone who might see his or her turn signal.  Moreover, in most if not all US states, use of the turn signal is a matter of legal obligation, so compliance improves if it is a habit.

I typically signal late, or refrain from signalling altogether, only if there is genuine potential for signalling well in advance to prompt another road user to make an ill-timed conflicting movement.  The most common scenario is someone waiting at a driveway or side road intersection that is upstream of my planned turn but within the signalling envelope.  I usually delay the signal until I am past that other person to avoid misleading him or her into thinking I am slowing down enough not to be in conflict.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

I can't imagine why someone would selectively not use your turn signal.  I find I'm far less likely to forget to do something if it is a habit and part of my routine.  Not signaling every time one turns seems like a good way to randomly forget to use the turn signal even in traffic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

I don't use my signal if I'm out in the boonies and really know there's nobody else around.  I'm talking about farm roads here–turning from one unpaved road onto another, where I can see all around with no problem, or turning from a main road onto some dirt sideroad where obviously nobody is coming.  Other than situations like that, I generally assume that either (a) there's actually someone near me but I missed noticing them or (b) someone will approach the intersection right at the last second.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

You know you're in a small town when no one uses their turn signals, because everyone knows where you're going.

noelbotevera

Okay I know I'm late to the pickup discussion but there is a peeve of mine that always bothers me:

Using a pickup truck just because "you want to drive a big car".

If your job involves hauling things pretty regularly (lawn care, landscaping, storage, home rehab, etc.) then that's practical and it makes sense. But if you're the type of ass who "just likes driving a big car", then you're the type who takes up good parking spaces at the grocery store, unnecessarily outfits your headlights with blinding LEDs, and the list of grievances go on. I will never understand that mindset, because if you really love big cars, then drive them around for a job so that at least you get paid and there's a reason for it, please.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Scott5114

I don't get what the preference for driving a big car is anyway. The few times I've had to drive anything bigger than a sedan it feels like I have so much inertia that speeding up or stopping takes way too long to achieve.

That being said, I don't begrudge a family for keeping a truck around just to make it easier in those irregular occasions where it's helpful to have one (moving, picking up furniture from the store, hauling large items to the dump, picking up materials for a home improvement project, etc.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.