News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How far west will US 48 be signed?

Started by usends, February 20, 2016, 02:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

I realize Corridor H goes west all the way to Weston WV.  But will US 48 be signed that far west?  If so, then it looks like everything west of Davis would be at least duplexed with other US routes, if not triplexed (such as the segment between Weston and Buckhannon).
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

wdcrft63

US 48 is authorized all the way to Weston. Whether it will actually be signed is another question.

Bitmapped

I fully expect US 48 to be signed all the way to I-79 once Corridor H is complete, hopefully with US 33 and US 250 returned to the WV 92 alignment around Elkins. WVDOH has no problem signing long unnecessary multiplexes, so I don't foresee that being an issue.

The Ghostbuster

Would it be possible to decommission the portions of state highway 55 that parallel US 48?

hbelkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 24, 2016, 03:44:49 PM
Would it be possible to decommission the portions of state highway 55 that parallel US 48?

If you're talking about West Virginia's portion, WV 55 was signed on Corridor H before US 48 was. When that happened, the portion of WV 55 that didn't have to absorb an extension of WV 29 became a "county" route.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Bitmapped on February 21, 2016, 10:16:55 PM
I fully expect US 48 to be signed all the way to I-79 once Corridor H is complete, hopefully with US 33 and US 250 returned to the WV 92 alignment around Elkins. WVDOH has no problem signing long unnecessary multiplexes, so I don't foresee that being an issue.

It is apparently going to be many years before the Corridor H segment between the U.S. 219 Connector (between Parsons and the Randolph County/Tucker County line) and Davis is constructed.  Same for the section of Corridor H from Wardensville to the Virginia/West Virginia border  on the crest of North Mountain and on to I-81 in Virginia. 

Of course, U.S. 48 is signed now along Va. 55 from I-81 in Virginia, and has been for quite a few years.

I suspect that at some point, U.S. 48 will be signed all the way from I-81 to I-79, but WVDOT/DOH seems only interested in signing the sections of eastern U.S. 48 from the Virginia/West Virginia border (and hopefully to W.Va. 32 in Davis).  Never seen a U.S. 48 sign of any kind between Davis and Weston.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on February 24, 2016, 09:05:18 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 24, 2016, 03:44:49 PM

If you're talking about West Virginia's portion, WV 55 was signed on Corridor H before US 48 was. When that happened, the portion of WV 55 that didn't have to absorb an extension of WV 29 became a "county" route.

There are some places where it is signed as "Old Route 55," something that WVDOT/DOH likes to do.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

BTW, I think this belongs in the Middle Atlantic board.

Maybe as part of the existing Corridor H thread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.