News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Attempt to Bring 75 m.p.h. Speed Limit to I-90

Started by Thunderbyrd316, January 25, 2017, 01:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderbyrd316

jeffandnicole

I'm amazed there's no comments about the reporter holding a cell phone while driving.

Thunderbyrd316

It is my opinion that Washington State should increase speed limits as follows:

75 m.p.h.

Interstate 5 from mile post 12 to mile post 55, from mile post 89 to mile post 101 and mile post 207 to mile post 224

Interstate 82 from mile post 39 to mile post 130

Interstate 90 from mile post 111 to mile post 136, mile post 143 to mile post 174 and mile post 180 to 270.

65 m.p.h.

Interstate 5 from mile post 112 to mile post 120 and from mile post 138 to mile post 154

Interstate 205 From Oregon State Line to I-5

U.S.12 Four lane sections between the Tri-Cities and Walla Walla

U.S. 195. (Most rural sections)

SR 3 from Kitsap Way to SR 305

SR 8 / US 12 from Montesano to US 101

SR 16 from Mile Post 16 to Mile Post 25

SR 18 from Black Diamond Road to 276th Ave SE

Also, lower truck speed limits should also be removed from all highways in Washington State.

To all who see this, please contact members of the Washington State Legislature and make your voice heard.

Thank you.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 25, 2017, 01:35:25 PM
I'm amazed there's no comments about the reporter holding a cell phone while driving.

It's not completely illegal. Only texting and talking on the phone are prohibited. And yes, that creates a loophole where everything else is legal.

compdude787

Quote from: jakeroot on January 25, 2017, 09:49:07 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 25, 2017, 01:35:25 PM

It's not completely illegal. Only texting and talking on the phone are prohibited. And yes, that creates a loophole where everything else is legal.

Wait a sec. I thought the law stated that you couldn't hold a phone to your ear while driving.

Back on topic, I fully support this, as well as raising limits to 65 on suburban freeways and rural divided highways. After all, people generally drive around 65-70 on suburban freeways anyway.

Bruce

How about we keep the speed limits where they are (as they aren't much of a problem) and focus on improving actual road issues, like safety, enforcement of left-lane camping and cell phone use, stiffer penalties for bad driving, etc.

Everyone speeds anyway out in the country and people rarely can/will drive at speed limit in urbanized areas, so it's a non-issue.

jeffandnicole

Many news stories that involved a handheld cell phone has numerous comments saying how unsafe it is anyway, regardless of its legality.  That's why I was shocked I wasn't seeing that out there.

Quote from: Bruce on January 26, 2017, 02:52:29 AM
How about we keep the speed limits where they are (as they aren't much of a problem) and focus on improving actual road issues, like safety, enforcement of left-lane camping and cell phone use, stiffer penalties for bad driving, etc.

Everyone speeds anyway out in the country and people rarely can/will drive at speed limit in urbanized areas, so it's a non-issue.

Sounds like what they said when the limit was 55 mph, and we saw that limits could be raised without hardly any issues.  No harm in continuing to raise speed limits where appropriate.  And they can do everything else you mentioned as well.  The speed limit and other enforcement issues you cited are really unrelated.

As far as 'everyone' speeding in the country...if the average/85th percentile speed is 73 mph, it's clear not 'everyone' is speeding.  And outside of rush hours, it's very easy to speed in urbanized areas.

Henry

Even as a reporter, why couldn't he have mounted it onto the dash and video-recorded it like everyone else? Aside from that, good for them!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Quillz

I was driving through Washington last summer and I very easily and safely was going 80+ between Spokane and Ellensburg. West of there, I-90 began to climb the mountains and I had to go much slower. But that corridor through a largely agricultural area seemed perfectly safe for high-speed driving.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.