AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Viruses?  (Read 10622 times)

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
Viruses?
« on: March 03, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »

I pimped the forum in the "Freewayjim" Facebook group, and the following was posted:

Scott Gaster ^ Be VERY CAREFUL when treading on AA Roads. Certain parts of it are prone to computer viruses. That's why I avoid the whole site.

What in the world is he talking about?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
Re: Viruses?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »

Beats me? Rather than say "oh AARoads is a virus producer!" Why not alert me to it so I can deal with it or get some assistance on it otherwise. Getting hacked is just part of hosting a web site these days, it happens from time to time.

Usually when there is a server hack or a threat, I generally get an email from my hosting company, or from one of the members here alerting me to the issue. I did cursory review of the server and found one file that changed yesterday with the forum s/w. Will run it by James to see if may be the problem. Otherwise I have found nothing out of the ordinary thus far.

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 10:25:39 PM
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »

Could he have been talking about years ago when hosting expenses were paid for partly through advertising, and some of the ads had viruses in them?  (Personally, I never worried since I use an ad-blocking HOSTS file and have AdBlock Plus.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 01:05:30 AM
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 10:08:39 AM »

Scott Gaster ^ Be VERY CAREFUL when treading on AA Roads. Certain parts of it are prone to computer viruses. That's why I avoid the whole site.

I once remember when the main site was giving out viruses via ads, but the forum wasn't since it doesn't have ads (anymore).  That might be what he's talking about.

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »

The forum has been the target of hacks the last two times. The ads should be clean, but bad code has happened with them before. Again if I have details on where it happened, I can better remedy the issue and take it up with an advertiser if need be.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 12:13:47 PM »

Maybe it would be a good idea for one of the forum admins to join the Freewayjim group and address the issue in the post there, so you can engage Mr. Gaster in a discussion about where he's encountering virii. My only interaction with him is in that group.

• Last Login: Today at 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:15:19 PM »

How recent was this post?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

sammi

• Software Developer, Sign Designer

• Last Login: December 27, 2022, 11:52:09 PM
    • SammDOT (under construction)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 12:30:55 PM »

radius -> radii
virus -> viri
Prius -> Prii
penis -> penii
Vesuvius -> Pompeii
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

• Flickr account
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 12:44:46 PM »

radius -> radii
virus -> viri
Prius -> Prii
penis -> penii
Vesuvius -> Pompeii

3dus -> 3di

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 01:21:38 PM »

Ironically, I think the forum just got hacked since this thread was made!  Every single time I try to load a page, it hangs, and ping responses come from this onlinehome.us.  The only way I can get in is to connect via Tor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

• Last Login: April 26, 2021, 12:13:44 PM
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 01:40:46 PM »

Ironically, I think the forum just got hacked since this thread was made!  Every single time I try to load a page, it hangs, and ping responses come from this onlinehome.us.  The only way I can get in is to connect via Tor.

Mine hasn't been doing that at all... both IE and Firefox are working like it should. Microsoft Security Essentials hasn't alerted me about any types of malware, spyware, viruses, etc.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »

How recent was this post?

If you mean Mr. Gaster's post, it was within the last 24 hours.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 04:34:13 PM
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 03:41:48 PM »

radius -> radii
virus -> viri
Prius -> Prii
penis -> penii
Vesuvius -> Pompeii

octopus -> octopi octopodes

3dus -> 3di

Nice one :-D. Also the Vesuvius -> Pompeii.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

FLRoads

• Admin/FDOT

• Last Login: March 12, 2024, 08:15:54 PM
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »

Maybe it would be a good idea for one of the forum admins to join the Freewayjim group and address the issue in the post there, so you can engage Mr. Gaster in a discussion about where he's encountering virii. My only interaction with him is in that group.

I just sent a request to join the group. Once (and if) I get approved I will address the issue to see exactly where he is going on the site to get a virus. I am more inclined to think though that he was definitely referring to a past event rather than something current. If he's going to make an arbitrary post like that, he needs to back it up or say specifically where he went on the site to get a virus.

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 08:37:49 PM »

Could he have been talking about years ago when hosting expenses were paid for partly through advertising, and some of the ads had viruses in them? 

I've come across this same problem in the past (a couple times within the lifespan of this forum).  Notified Alex about it the times it happened.  It's the risk they run with using ads on the main site, though the point that James made about the forum being ad-free is very valid.

FLRoads

• Admin/FDOT

• Last Login: March 12, 2024, 08:15:54 PM
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »

It's the risk they run with using ads on the main site, though the point that James made about the forum being ad-free is very valid.

Well most websites today are generally ad-based, so the risk of viruses exist on any of those sites visited, not just here (AARoads). It's the nature of the beast.

• Flickr account
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 08:53:50 PM »

It's the risk they run with using ads on the main site, though the point that James made about the forum being ad-free is very valid.

Well most websites today are generally ad-based, so the risk of viruses exist on any of those sites visited, not just here (AARoads). It's the nature of the beast.

The only viruses I have seen are the ones telling you that your flash player needs to be updated (this was not at AAroads), and those are long gone.

SignBridge

• Last Login: Today at 07:43:45 PM
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 09:52:46 AM »

My Internet Explorer browser was "hijacked" by a virus twice in the last couple of weeks. (Feb. 27th and March 3rd) This forum is one possible source (I had been very active here recently)  as are several other forums that I regularly participate on. I'll be checking those other forums for this type of info in the next few days looking for the possible source of the virus.

It took many hours and several sessions on the phone with my computer manufacturer's tech support to clear the infections and then get the machine up and running again as it crashed at the end of one session. Initially I thought the problem was with my ISP (Verizon) but they confirmed their service was operating normally and said it must be my computer. So I called the manufacturer when maybe I should have called Microsoft. Who knew? 

DaBigE

• Following the LEGO® brick road

• Last Login: April 23, 2020, 04:51:41 PM
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »

Once or twice when I was reading the forums, I got a pop-up from my antivirus stating that it had blocked a potentially harmful link. I chalked it up to something going on in one of my other open tabs. This was several weeks ago (month?). Hasn't happened since.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Duke87

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 10:36:18 PM
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 10:45:22 PM »

I haven't seen anything amiss.

But then, I'm running NoScript, so any Javascript coming from a domain which I haven't whitelisted wouldn't be allowed to execute. It is possible that this nabbed whatever foul stuff there may have been.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.