News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odditude

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 30, 2015, 11:58:12 AM
Quote from: kurumi on September 29, 2015, 11:09:50 AM
Are the I-395 signs different enough from recent I-95 work to be called "Phase V"?

The route markers have outlines; the exit tabs are wider... it looks different from the 2012 work in lower Fairfield County.

Pardon my ignorance.....but are the sign "phases" something that the DOT uses or something we just made up here on AARoads? 
I take it the phases refer to the style of sign made?
Non-reflective button copy to reflective button copy?
I take it, some highways have skipped certain phases as some signs aren't replaced as often?
phase as in project stage - e.g. they replaced this batch of signs during phase 1, this batch is slated for phase 2, etc.

shadyjay

Phases was something I came up with, denoting the various types, or phases of BGSs in CT over the years:

Phase (a) would be the pre-interstate signage - original turnpike signage on I-95/I-395, and original parkway signage on CT 15
Phase I would be the non-reflective button copy.  On the Merritt Pkwy, this featured state route markers with the outline of the state of CT.
Phase II would be direct applied non-reflective
Phase III would be the reflective button copy, including button copy route markers.  This is what I-395 had up until 2015.
Phase IV would be direct applied reflective, which has migrated into various sub-phases:
     IVa added the service bars (exit service symbols built into the BGSs, or for overheads, on separate stand-alone).
     IVb added aligned exit tabs, no borders
     IVc added aligned exit tabs, with borders
Now I'll have to check, but I want to say there's reference to a "Phase IV sheeting" in sign plan contract documents.  So that would make my "unofficial" phases semi-legit. 

For the progression of I-395 signage, as a whole, I'd say it goes:  Phase (a), Phase III, Phase IVc, for the section from I-95 to US 6.  The signage now being replaced was installed in the mid 1980s.  Did Phase I ever exist on I-395?  I know a couple oddball signs NB that have recently been replaced were Phase I.  (Exit 83 1 mile for Route 97). 

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on September 30, 2015, 01:22:30 PM

Phase II would be direct applied non-reflective

Interesting...I didn't know CT used direct applied non-reflective on a regular basis?  I know I-84 has one for EB Exit 25A but I thought it was a contractor error.

CT-25 used direct applied around 1981-1982, but they have reflective backgrounds.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

Yup.... those signs are what I refer to as "Phase II".  Includes any installations in the early 1980s (maybe late 1970s as well) timeframe, before Phase III started spreading like wildfire.  Sections of I-95 had Phase II, including Exits 60-82A, before those signs were replaced in 2000.  Exits 68-70 went sooner due to the Baldwin Bridge, getting Phase III.  Exits 53-59 held onto the original turnpike signage until 1992, being replaced with Phase III at that time.  So that section is on its "second generation" of signs right now (though 53-54 got replaced with IV as part of the "Q" Bridge project). 

As for what else had "Phase II", parts of I-84 in Danbury and from East Hartford to Manchester, much of the latter is still there, installed when I-384 was extended and the HOV lanes were built in the early/mid 1980s. 

yakra

ME WANT CLIFF NOTES!
For purposes of Clinched Highway / TravelMapping:
How much of I-395 has been changed over to the new exit numbers?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

shadyjay

Up to Plainfield, old Exit 88/new Exit 29. 

Duke87

Isn't it all going to be complete by the end of the month or so? I thought it was all one project. Unless there is going to be a significant gap I'd just change all the exit numbers once it's done.

Good news is no new numbers will duplicate old numbers so you can keep as many old points as needed to not break list files.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Beeper1

It won't be done in a month.  North of Plainfield they are nowhere near ready to convert.  Many interchanges don't even have new sign supports installed yet.  Some in the Putnam/Thompson stretch don't even appear to have had the support foundations poured.

shadyjay

Quote from: Duke87 on October 03, 2015, 09:53:35 PM
Isn't it all going to be complete by the end of the month or so? I thought it was all one project. Unless there is going to be a significant gap I'd just change all the exit numbers once it's done.

Good news is no new numbers will duplicate old numbers so you can keep as many old points as needed to not break list files.

Nope, it's actually two separate projects.  The southern half (from I-95 to old Exit 88) has pretty much all of its ground signage installed.  They still have to do the overheads, though, and put up the new supports for the new overheads.  The southern project also includes replacement of signs along CT 2A.  The northern half (from old Exit 88 up to the Mass state line) had little progress made as of 9/27.  As mentioned above, not even all the new sign supports are in.  There is one new overhead gantry installed SB and most new gore signs are installed.  The northern half also includes replacement of signs on CT 695, the Exit 90/turnpike stub "TO US 6 EAST" out to the RI state line. 

It's possible both halfves of the project were awarded to the same contractor, hence why the southern half is almost done and limited work so far on the northern half. 

noelbotevera

Quote from: shadyjay on October 03, 2015, 10:43:36 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on October 03, 2015, 09:53:35 PM

Nope, it's actually two separate projects.  The southern half (from I-95 to old Exit 88) has pretty much all of its ground signage installed.  They still have to do the overheads, though, and put up the new supports for the new overheads.  The southern project also includes replacement of signs along CT 2A.  The northern half (from old Exit 88 up to the Mass state line) had little progress made as of 9/27.  As mentioned above, not even all the new sign supports are in.  There is one new overhead gantry installed SB and most new gore signs are installed.  The northern half also includes replacement of signs on CT 695, the Exit 90/turnpike stub "TO US 6 EAST" out to the RI state line. 

It's possible both halfves of the project were awarded to the same contractor, hence why the southern half is almost done and limited work so far on the northern half.
Also, Connecticut is broke. Maybe they don't have enough money to continue from exits 89-100.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

TravelingBethelite

We're not as rich as you think we are, but Connecticut is far from broke. Anyway, contractors would be doing this. Not the state itself. It will be done.  :rolleyes:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Pete from Boston

Moreover, not having money means money has already been allocated to various expenditures, presumably including this one.  It's not like Connecticut or any state is grinding to a halt.

Duke87

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 04, 2015, 12:31:06 PM
Moreover, not having money means money has already been allocated to various expenditures, presumably including this one.  It's not like Connecticut or any state is grinding to a halt.

Indeed, generally states that suffer the most from lack of funding for transportation suffer not from lack of revenue but from treating it as a low budgetary priority. Connecticut is a perfect example of this, where there is a years-old tradition of raiding gas tax revenue to plug holes elsewhere in the budget, and the total state budget for everything has ballooned substantially in the past 25 years while the population hasn't grown very much.

yakra

I agree, Duke87. I plan to just relabel it all in one go when the project is complete.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

roadman65

This may be old news, but after seeing Jay Hogan's photos on his flickr page made me research a local area webpage article on the subject for some who follow the CT roads.
http://wtnh.com/2014/09/03/exit-numbers-to-reflect-the-mile-on-i-395/
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

connroadgeek

Noticed spot replacements on I-95 Stratford to West Haven. Looks like the truss mounts are back en vogue with ConnDOT. Also the new style mile markers (including replacement fractional mile markers) are up in this area as well.

JakeFromNewEngland

Quote from: connroadgeek on October 07, 2015, 05:47:34 PM
Noticed spot replacements on I-95 Stratford to West Haven. Looks like the truss mounts are back en vogue with ConnDOT. Also the new style mile markers (including replacement fractional mile markers) are up in this area as well.

To add to this, I was in New Haven earlier and there have been new signs erected between Exits 44 and the West River Bridge. There is also a functional VMS on I-95 NB.

Beeper1

Update as of 10/10.   Old exit 89 has been partially changed over, with NB having new signs with new exit number 32.  SB still has old signs and old exit number.  The signs at old exit 90/new exit 35 (partial interchange with CT 695) has also been changed.

So, NB traffic has new numbers all the way to the 395/695 split.  SB traffic still sees old numbers through exit 89, with new numbers starting at new exit 29. 

Duke87

Question regarding phase 2: if signs on SR 695 are also getting replaced, do we know what the exit numbers are going to be there?

Currently there is exit 90 westbound and an unnumbered exit eastbound. I'm guessing they will both become exit 1, but I can't seem to find the plans online to check.

Beeper1

I think the exits on 695 will be Exit 1A for Squaw Rock Rd (WB exit) and Exit 1B for Ross Road (EB exit).

kurumi

SR 695 will be the second freeway in CT with exit numbers but no signed route number.

(OK, 3rd, if you count the Merritt Parkway before it was numbered in 1947)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Beeper1 on October 11, 2015, 09:15:27 PM
I think the exits on 695 will be Exit 1A for Squaw Rock Rd (WB exit) and Exit 1B for Ross Road (EB exit).

Since they're in opposite directions, why not just give them both Exit 1 and leave off the letter?)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

yakra

Different roads, different locations, no simple re-entry at the same point.

shadyjay

Quote from: kurumi on October 12, 2015, 02:16:47 AM
SR 695 will be the second freeway in CT with exit numbers but no signed route number.

(OK, 3rd, if you count the Merritt Parkway before it was numbered in 1947)

Don't forget the Milford Parkway between the Merritt/W Cross and I-95/US 1.  That got exit numbers a few years ago.  It's "Secret State Route 796"!

Will be interesting to see if the Bradley Airport Connector (CT 20) and the Willimantic Bypass (US 6) will get exit numbers.  CT 20's signs were replaced a few years back and still no exit numbers.  I still think it should become a I-X91 and the Willimantic Bypass should become I-384, but we have to get that connected to Bolton's I-384 first.

cl94

Quote from: yakra on October 12, 2015, 10:32:35 AM
Different roads, different locations, no simple re-entry at the same point.

That doesn't mean crap. A bunch of mile-based states have two completely unrelated partial interchanges share a number, similar to how two consecutive sequential partial exits serving opposing directions of travel get the same number. Look at New York, for example. The New England Thruway has Exit 18A, with its two halves nearly a mile apart.

Also, it's not like you couldn't re-enter to get off at the "right" Exit 1. With how the interchanges are set up, one could both enter and exit at Exit 1.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.