News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Triangle Expressway

Started by 74/171FAN, July 16, 2009, 09:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

All those TO routes could be moved to an auxiliary sign.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CanesFan27

Quote from: jcarte29 on December 26, 2012, 10:16:01 AM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 25, 2012, 09:06:54 PM
The overhead signs directing traffic to that road are gigantic.

I just mentioned this on the FB post...way too much for ONE highway. LOL

I believe that part of the numerous 'TO' listings is because 540 will hopefully be a full loop.  And I think the NCTA is trying to promote using the toll road to reach various major highways in the area (US 64, NC 55, US 1).  So they are listing all the possibilities on the sign.  They have auxiliary signs for RDU Int'l Airport on US 1 (RDU Airport - Exit 93X).

Signs are somewhat smaller at I-540 interchanges but they do list 'TO US 70' or 'TO US 1' or even 'TO US 64' on overhead signs throughout North Raleigh & Knightdale.

Takumi

In the photo Chris posted, what might the currently-blank third destination line be for in the future?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jcarte29

Quote from: Takumi on December 26, 2012, 12:09:51 PM
In the photo Chris posted, what might the currently-blank third destination line be for in the future?

garner maybe when it eventually wraps SE to I-40?
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

froggie

One non-MUTCD-compliant part of that sign:  there's only one exit-only lane, not two.

NE2

Quote from: froggie on December 26, 2012, 06:48:47 PM
One non-MUTCD-compliant part of that sign:  there's only one exit-only lane, not two.
Isn't that compliant with the latest MUTCD BS?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on December 26, 2012, 07:10:37 PM
Quote from: froggie on December 26, 2012, 06:48:47 PM
Isn't that compliant with the latest MUTCD BS?
Yes it is, unfortunately. Also, someone should submit that to the four shields on one sign thread. I would, but I don't care.

cpzilliacus

NCDOT press release: North Carolina's Quick Pass and E-ZPass Function as One in 2013

QuoteBeginning Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013, drivers with an E-ZPass or NC Quick Pass hardcase transponder can travel in all E-ZPass states and North Carolina using their prepaid electronic toll collection account.

Quote"This is an exciting day for the people in 15 states and a monumental business agreement for the tolling industry,"  said E-ZPass Group's Executive Director PJ Wilkins.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NJRoadfan

I was on the highway today. The E-ZPass signs are already up! They most have posted them yesterday as they were definitely not up on Thursday.

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: Raleigh NC Triangle Expressway open over its full length, tolls begin Jan 2 2013

QuoteThe Triangle Expressway (TriEx), North Carolina's first modern era tollroad is now open over its full length and tolls will be collected beginning January 2, 2013. The opening  of the third of three phases was Thursday December 20. The tollroad is mostly an extension counterclockwise of I-540 a partial belt route around the Raleigh metro area sharing the same 540 numbering (but as a state route not an interstate).

QuoteIn effect the TriEx is a north-south route on the western edge of the Raleigh metro area. The main section is 13 to 15 miles (21km to 24km) out from the center of Raleigh. The northern end is only a couple of miles away from the Raleigh Durham International Airport obviously a major generator of road trips along with the Research Triangle Park employment center. But traffic for the Expressway is heavily dependent on residential development on the western and southwestern portions of the metro area.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 30, 2012, 09:57:22 PM
TOLLROADSnews: Raleigh NC Triangle Expressway open over its full length, tolls begin Jan 2 2013
Hardly its full length, as far as the roadway is concerned. Though I haven't heard anything about whether the rest of 540 is supposed to be built as a toll extension or free bypass, I assume it would be tolled based on recent precedent. It may be called something other than Triangle Expwy., but it's essentially the same road.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on December 31, 2012, 05:50:54 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 30, 2012, 09:57:22 PM
Hardly its full length, as far as the roadway is concerned. Though I haven't heard anything about whether the rest of 540 is supposed to be built as a toll extension or free bypass, I assume it would be tolled based on recent precedent. It may be called something other than Triangle Expwy., but it's essentially the same road.

As best as I understand it, significant parts of what might run beyond U.S. 1 are hung up in environmental clearance controversies between federal environmental regulators, the state of North Carolina, and local government(s) along the proposed route(s). 

One significant reform to NEPA should be a requirement that federal environmental regulators MUST respect on-the-record planning decisions made by state and local elected officials and their planning processes.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 25, 2012, 08:20:18 PM
Was able to check out the new section of the TriEx on Christmas Eve:

Blog:
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2012/12/tour-of-phase-iii-of-triangle-expressway.html

Did you see my comment on the blog about the US-1 exit number(s)?

CanesFan27

If you want a unique should I use it/should I not perspective on the Triangle Expressway - this is a great read.

http://actionallen.blogspot.com/2012/12/triangle-expressway-now-will-i-take-it.html

cpzilliacus

NJRoadfan

I should have a video of the entire northbound length of NC-540 soon. The biggest issue with this road is going to be at it's southern terminus with NC-55. The interchange with way underpowered and will likely backup. The N-N loop is tight, and the ramp to 55 south is basically a glorified right turn that dumps you in front of a traffic light. NC for some reason likes to half-bake their interchanges with expressway/arterials. I-540 and US-1 in North Raleigh is another fine example of this, and they also had plenty of room to build a proper 4 way high speed interchange there.

NJRoadfan

jcarte29

Nice video. I was trying to understand the one part where she asked if you were "zapped" or if you had a transponder. I'm guessing it was your g/f and/or wife?

The only other question I had was the reason for naming it NC 540 and not future I-540, does it have anything to do with the designation as a toll???
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

NJRoadfan

Quote from: jcarte29 on January 10, 2013, 12:49:45 AM
Nice video. I was trying to understand the one part where she asked if you were "zapped" or if you had a transponder. I'm guessing it was your g/f and/or wife?

No, just a family member who was bored. I have E-ZPass in the car, you can see it mounted on the windshield near the beginning of the video. Seeing that the agreement to take E-ZPass wasn't in place at the time, I will likely not be billed by mail as NC currently doesn't pull NJ registration data to send out bills. (not that it would matter anyway, the car had a temporary tag on it which I know they can't read)

NJRoadfan

Looks like I'm, not the only person who found that NC-55 southbound ramp a little too tight:

http://www.wral.com/sharp-merge-worries-some-triangle-expressway-drivers/11959783/

That ramp really should be a high speed slip ramp, not that joke they built.

Interstatefan78

Looks like only the Hardcase and exterior  QuickPass Transmitter can go outside of North Carolina into the tolled I-495 HOT Lanes in Virginia, and the I-95 NJ Turnpike in New Jersey or the I-78 toll bridge in Williams Township, PA, but the stickertag will only work in the Triangle Expressway link is https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/rates.shtml or https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/faq/all.shtml

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on January 21, 2013, 07:17:49 PM
Looks like only the Hardcase and exterior  QuickPass Transmitter can go outside of North Carolina into the tolled I-495 HOT Lanes in Virginia, and the I-95 NJ Turnpike in New Jersey or the I-78 toll bridge in Williams Township, PA, but the stickertag will only work in the Triangle Expressway link is https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/rates.shtml or https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/faq/all.shtml

That is correct.  But I think that the folks in North Carolina have made it pretty clear that the sticker tags are only usable on in-state toll roads (and for now, that means the Tri-Ex only).

Interstatefan78

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 21, 2013, 08:58:50 PM

That is correct.  But I think that the folks in North Carolina have made it pretty clear that the sticker tags are only usable on in-state toll roads (and for now, that means the Tri-Ex only).
Maybe the NJ/PA/DE Turnpikes need an E-Z Pass transmitter that can read nc Quickpass sticker tags and this will allow sticker tags to roam the toll roads of NJ/NY/PA/MD, and DE that currently accept E-Z Pass or quickpass hardcase tags, but starting in mid 2013 this problem might be harder because NC Quickpass, and FL Sunpass use sticker tags which the E-Z Pass transponders can't read

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on January 22, 2013, 02:18:16 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 21, 2013, 08:58:50 PM

Maybe the NJ/PA/DE Turnpikes need an E-Z Pass transmitter that can read nc Quickpass sticker tags and this will allow sticker tags to roam the toll roads of NJ/NY/PA/MD, and DE that currently accept E-Z Pass or quickpass hardcase tags, but starting in mid 2013 this problem might be harder because NC Quickpass, and FL Sunpass use sticker tags which the E-Z Pass transponders can't read

As I understand it, an agreement to honor "other" transponders in the E-ZPass Group member states must apply to all member states (North Carolina is an affiliate member).

cpzilliacus

News & Observer: N.C. Turnpike Authority double-bills hundreds of E-ZPass toll road drivers

QuoteRALEIGH -- At least 800 drivers on the Triangle Expressway have been double-billed this month, paying electronic tolls twice for every trip, the N.C. Turnpike Authority says.

QuoteAnd at least one of them was billed three different ways, for the same trip.

QuoteDane Berglund, who runs the turnpike customer service center in Morrisville, blames the errors on drivers who have two transponders in their cars — an N.C. Quick Pass, designed for North Carolina's toll road, and an E-ZPass, used to pay for trips on toll roads in 14 states from Virginia to Maine and Illinois.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.