News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

West Virginia Turnpike

Started by seicer, March 17, 2013, 01:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: plain on May 05, 2024, 12:53:23 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 05, 2024, 12:44:53 AM
Quote from: plain on May 05, 2024, 12:38:55 AM
Quote from: Black-Man on May 04, 2024, 10:04:52 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on April 17, 2024, 09:17:11 AMYou might want to check your facts.  While the cities of Charleston and Huntington are in decline...
Facts?

Pittsburgh metro: 2.35 million
Cleveland metro: 2.06 million
Columbus metro: 2.16 million
West Virginia: 1.77 million

There is no justification for Huntington-Charleston to be connected by a 6-lane interstate highway. It's a misallocation of resources that probably should have been invested in the eastern panhandle.

The Charleston-Huntington CSA (Combined Statistical Area) has a population of over 600k, and most of that population is within 15 miles of I-64. That alone is enough to justify the 6-lanes throughout the stretch between the two cities. Add thru traffic and that further justifies it.

I've driven that stretch plenty of times myself, and I'd say it's time.

Those metro areas you listed has multiple multi-lane expressways serving them, while that particular part of WV (especially the western side) don't.

Again, comparing to similar areas in MA, no.

Do those similar areas in MA have a similar percentage of long distance trucks slowing things down? On very hilly terrain?
Quote from: plain on May 05, 2024, 12:53:23 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 05, 2024, 12:44:53 AM
Quote from: plain on May 05, 2024, 12:38:55 AM
Quote from: Black-Man on May 04, 2024, 10:04:52 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on April 17, 2024, 09:17:11 AMYou might want to check your facts.  While the cities of Charleston and Huntington are in decline...
Facts?

Pittsburgh metro: 2.35 million
Cleveland metro: 2.06 million
Columbus metro: 2.16 million
West Virginia: 1.77 million

There is no justification for Huntington-Charleston to be connected by a 6-lane interstate highway. It's a misallocation of resources that probably should have been invested in the eastern panhandle.

The Charleston-Huntington CSA (Combined Statistical Area) has a population of over 600k, and most of that population is within 15 miles of I-64. That alone is enough to justify the 6-lanes throughout the stretch between the two cities. Add thru traffic and that further justifies it.

I've driven that stretch plenty of times myself, and I'd say it's time.

Those metro areas you listed has multiple multi-lane expressways serving them, while that particular part of WV (especially the western side) don't.

Again, comparing to similar areas in MA, no.

Do those similar areas in MA have a similar percentage of long distance trucks slowing things down? On very hilly terrain?

Sure.  The section through the Holyoke Range is a little frustrating, just like I-64 is a little frustrating.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

I would argue that many interstates in the Northeast that still remain four lanes should be six lanes based on traffic volumes, level of service, and terrain. The difference is that West Virginia is finally fulfilling its widening aspirations through the Roads to Prosperity bond program. There are a lot of things I can fault Governor Justice over, but taking the gamble on a $2.8 billion program for deferred roadway widening, bridge replacements, and new construction has been a popular move.

I am struggling to find an example of another state that has done that in recent memory.

ibthebigd

Indiana selling off the Indiana Turnpike

SM-G996U

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.