News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Started by webny99, March 03, 2023, 03:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 08, 2024, 01:46:58 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 07, 2024, 09:27:42 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 06, 2024, 02:43:13 PMMy cabin is in an area near Mena, AR but I may drive up to somewhere near Mount Magazine or Nebo for better viewing conditions.

Ha. Mena is about where I've decided to go.
I'm still near Mena and it's clearing up quite nicely. No need to travel north. Thank God, as I'm sure traffic is nuts right now (Lake Dardanelle SP is at max capacity and is closed to additional visitors). The partial eclipse just started here.

I ended up on Lake Dardanelle at a friends lake house on the north shore within gunshot range of Nuclear One, although I wouldn't recommend shooting at it.  Sky was mostly clear and whatever wispy clouds there were almost completely dissipated when totality began, along with bird and bug sounds along with the wind.  It was eerie and awesome simultaneously, and the lake almost got completely calm, other than the other nearby observers howling at the moon and shooting off fireworks.  It was very dark during totality, kind of like almost dusk, but without the red atmospheric shift, so it was like being under a very dim LED yard light.  My wife was ambivalent on the trip down about the whole thing and slept for half the journey, impressive since I took AR-16, AR-22, and US-64 between Fayetteville and London, AR to avoid I-49 and I-40, which were no faster than the more enjoyable mountain route, especially on the return trip when everyone was leaving the area to return home to NWA or beyond.  Only downside is lack of passing zones once reaching the Boston Mountains.  Other than Texans and Kansans, who don't typically drive in curvy mountain roads and slow WAY down for each corner, can't complain about the traffic.

webny99

Quote from: westerninterloper on April 09, 2024, 11:26:48 AMOne of the more interesting things I watched yesterday was the traffic on Google maps, particularly in the hours after the end of totality, highways and even back roads between the center and the major metropolitan areas were jammed for hours, the last didn't clear until almost midnight (I-65NB from Indy to Chicago, and I-24EB from about Paducah to Nashville).

Is there any way to get a file/animation of yesterday's traffic on Google Maps, or another site? I would love to see how traffic responded to the eclipse yesterday.

Probably nothing with animation, but I have a whole bunch of screen shots. If you are interested in a specific area or time frame, let me know and I can PM you what I have (& that applies to anyone else who's interested too.)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: MikieTimT on April 09, 2024, 01:03:57 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 08, 2024, 01:46:58 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 07, 2024, 09:27:42 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 06, 2024, 02:43:13 PMMy cabin is in an area near Mena, AR but I may drive up to somewhere near Mount Magazine or Nebo for better viewing conditions.

Ha. Mena is about where I've decided to go.
I'm still near Mena and it's clearing up quite nicely. No need to travel north. Thank God, as I'm sure traffic is nuts right now (Lake Dardanelle SP is at max capacity and is closed to additional visitors). The partial eclipse just started here.

I ended up on Lake Dardanelle at a friends lake house on the north shore within gunshot range of Nuclear One, although I wouldn't recommend shooting at it.  Sky was mostly clear and whatever wispy clouds there were almost completely dissipated when totality began, along with bird and bug sounds along with the wind.  It was eerie and awesome simultaneously, and the lake almost got completely calm, other than the other nearby observers howling at the moon and shooting off fireworks.  It was very dark during totality, kind of like almost dusk, but without the red atmospheric shift, so it was like being under a very dim LED yard light.  My wife was ambivalent on the trip down about the whole thing and slept for half the journey, impressive since I took AR-16, AR-22, and US-64 between Fayetteville and London, AR to avoid I-49 and I-40, which were no faster than the more enjoyable mountain route, especially on the return trip when everyone was leaving the area to return home to NWA or beyond.  Only downside is lack of passing zones once reaching the Boston Mountains.  Other than Texans and Kansans, who don't typically drive in curvy mountain roads and slow WAY down for each corner, can't complain about the traffic.

I thought this eclipse was pretty dark too, darker at least than the one in 2017.

I also noticed a whole bunch of ARDOT trucks here and there along the roads. I wonder if they were there to shoo people away who stopped on the side of the road. It must have been every ARDOT truck in the state, or at least it seems.

As far as traffic goes, I made my way to De Queen late at night, so there was no traffic at all getting there, but I made my way back to College Station about half an hour or so after the eclipse ended, and there was no real congestion. The rip back took only about half an hour longer than the trip there, and that includes the monsoon I ran into in Tyler.

I also got to drive on three different major 2DIs, I-45, I-30, and I-20, although they are, especially the first two, admittedly at the low end of the major scale.  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

westerninterloper

Quote from: webny99 on April 09, 2024, 02:10:28 PM
Quote from: westerninterloper on April 09, 2024, 11:26:48 AMOne of the more interesting things I watched yesterday was the traffic on Google maps, particularly in the hours after the end of totality, highways and even back roads between the center and the major metropolitan areas were jammed for hours, the last didn't clear until almost midnight (I-65NB from Indy to Chicago, and I-24EB from about Paducah to Nashville).

Is there any way to get a file/animation of yesterday's traffic on Google Maps, or another site? I would love to see how traffic responded to the eclipse yesterday.

Probably nothing with animation, but I have a whole bunch of screen shots. If you are interested in a specific area or time frame, let me know and I can PM you what I have (& that applies to anyone else who's interested too.)

Thanks - I took a bunch of screenshots too, but I keep thinking there must be some way to extract that data, or a way that Google has produced such imagery in the past.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

webny99

Quote from: MikieTimT on April 09, 2024, 01:03:57 PMIt was eerie and awesome simultaneously, and the lake almost got completely calm, other than the other nearby observers howling at the moon and shooting off fireworks.

I also experienced fireworks, along with some Chinese lanterns from folks nearby. It was otherwise very quiet during and leading up to totality, and the lack of traffic noise was really noticeable too. Basically the only sound was people talking, but the quiet and stillness made it so that you could hear other voices from quite far away, and also talk softly and still be heard.

Then within 5 minutes after totality, it was no darker than a thunderstorm, and you could hear the din of traffic roar back to life almost in real time. In fact, I would say that during totality and within about three minutes before and after (roughly 10 minutes total) was the only time in which the sky was darker than I've ever seen it before during the daytime. I recall heavy storm clouds that had about the same overall brightness effect of about ~90% totality (again, this is why 99.9% doesn't cut it :) )

7/8

Quote from: webny99 on April 08, 2024, 10:16:01 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 08, 2024, 03:49:27 PMIt didn't dim as much as I was hoping, but I thought it was quite a sight considering it's the first eclipse I recall seeing.  I wonder how nuts it is right now a little farther south in Luna Pier (totality).

Yup, even a 99% partial eclipse is just not the same as 100% totality. The way the moon's shadow comes and goes so quickly leading to full darkness (surrounded by 360 degree "sunset" if you're in a place with open views) is what makes totality unique.

Yeah, now it's awkward trying to explain to people (friends, coworkers, etc.) who didn't make the effort to drive an hour south of home that totality is so much cooler than the partial eclipse. I'm very disappointed my Dad didn't join us in Port Stanley, instead choosing to work from home (he also missed the 2017 eclipse, it's not coincidence that my Mom and brother saw it in 2017 and we were the ones determined to see it yesterday!)

Quote from: 7/8 on April 08, 2024, 04:54:36 PMOur eclipse viewing in Port Stanley, ON was a great success! We left home at 8:30am and it was overcast and drizzly. We got there at 10am way before the crowds (a bit too early TBH :-D). The sun started to come out around 11am and the skies were clear. Some thin clouds came in about 30 minutes before totality, which was a little stressful, but thankfully, that had no effect on the viewing experience!

Very nice. I almost mentioned yesterday that you probably wouldn't have to go so far west based on how clouds were tracking, so I'll bet you're glad to have decided that as well.

Yes, thank you Eclipse App! It was nice to save over an hour of driving on the return home.

Quote from: 7/8 on April 08, 2024, 04:54:36 PMIt's a shame Niagara didn't work out for my boss, and for the many people who chose that as their base.

I guess "didn't work out" is relative. I don't think anyone in totality would describe the experience as a total letdown, even if it was cloudy. The Falls would still be a cool place to experience the sudden dark and quietness, they just wouldn't have gotten the added effects of the sun's ring during totality. IMO the bigger issue with the Falls would be the insane and unavoidable traffic headed back towards Hamilton.

True, I would still place totality under clouds much higher than partial under clear skies. I'm happy I didn't have to venture to Niagara (in a different scenario, it could've been the only clear sky spot in Ontario). I knew long before the eclipse that it would be the worse spot for traffic. Our drive from Port Stanley actually wasn't bad once we got out of the parking lot, but we stayed in town for 3 hours after totality since the parking lot was at a stand-still for a long time.

stormwatch7721

It got nearly dark but not fully dark yesterday.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on April 08, 2024, 10:52:35 PMso if I do ever get to see a clear eclipse in the future, I won't take it for granted and will appreciate it even more having had to plan for it and having had this experience first.
That's the thing... I don't see how I'll ever get to experience a total eclipse again, clear or otherwise.  I missed out on a once in a lifetime view of the sun, along with that comet.  I've never seen one of those either, and now I probably never will.  I had been looking forward to this intensely for 8 years, and now I missed out on very nearly everything.  We didn't even get the 360 degree sunset in Rochester!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

88 isn't an impossible age to live to. (There's one in 2079 close to you.)

Or if they change the TSA rules and you can fly again.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

fwydriver405

Quote from: webny99 on April 09, 2024, 02:10:28 PM

I also took screenshots too starting around 8 PM ish, but mine were centred around the NH/VT area.

There's also this site, Vermont Area Eclipse Traffic, I stumbled across today that has a timeline on traffic around VT during the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on April 09, 2024, 08:47:07 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 08, 2024, 10:52:35 PMso if I do ever get to see a clear eclipse in the future, I won't take it for granted and will appreciate it even more having had to plan for it and having had this experience first.
That's the thing... I don't see how I'll ever get to experience a total eclipse again, clear or otherwise.  I missed out on a once in a lifetime view of the sun, along with that comet.  I've never seen one of those either, and now I probably never will.  I had been looking forward to this intensely for 8 years, and now I missed out on very nearly everything. 

Well, 2045 is much too far into the future to say definitively, but one good thing about the 2045 path is that it's a better time of year and passes through less traditionally cloudy parts of the country.

Quote from: vdeane on April 09, 2024, 08:47:07 PMWe didn't even get the 360 degree sunset in Rochester!

Though the ground I watched from wasn't high enough to say for sure, I would describe it as pretty close to a 360 degree sunset. As totality started, the eastern sky turned to sunset colors, and by halfway through totality I could see the western sky turning increasingly orangish as the end of totality approached. North and south weren't as distinct, but I think that's because of the direction the shadow was moving.

vdeane

Quote from: hotdogPi on April 09, 2024, 08:49:26 PM88 isn't an impossible age to live to. (There's one in 2079 close to you.)

My issues with flying go beyond the TSA.  Flying is unpredictable and puts more of the trip out of my control.  Flights get overbooked, delayed, cancelled, and/or diverted all the time.  Beyond flying, the level of flexibility needed to guarantee a clear view of an eclipse is beyond me.  And sure, it's possible I'll still be mobile and able to drive at 88, but that wasn't the majority of my grandparents (might not have been any... I don't remember when my grandfather stopped driving).  Both of my grandmothers had significant dementia at that point, so I presume that will be my fate at that well.

Quote from: webny99 on April 09, 2024, 09:26:47 PMWell, 2045 is much too far into the future to say definitively, but one good thing about the 2045 path is that it's a better time of year and passes through less traditionally cloudy parts of the country.
That path is a 3-4 day drive each way, a logistical challenge even without the added issue of eclipse crowds/traffic and needing flexibility for last minute diversions due to weather.  I have issues managing my energy now, and I'll be in my 50s by then.  And that's all without getting into the politics of the states I'd have to drive to and/or through.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on April 09, 2024, 09:36:41 PM
Quote from: hotdogPi on April 09, 2024, 08:49:26 PM88 isn't an impossible age to live to. (There's one in 2079 close to you.)

My issues with flying go beyond the TSA.  Flying is unpredictable and puts more of the trip out of my control.  Flights get overbooked, delayed, cancelled, and/or diverted all the time.  Beyond flying, the level of flexibility needed to guarantee a clear view of an eclipse is beyond me.  And sure, it's possible I'll still be mobile and able to drive at 88, but that wasn't the majority of my grandparents (might not have been any... I don't remember when my grandfather stopped driving).  Both of my grandmothers had significant dementia at that point, so I presume that will be my fate at that well.

The trick with flying is not planning things to do on the day of the flight that can't be moved around.  On our recent trip to Texas, we flew into San Antonio and had some plans to see the Alamo and another historic site -- I had been to the Alamo before, but my wife hadn't and she wasn't particular about seeing the inside of it.  The only time sensitive thing we had was meeting up with friends for dinner at 7 p.m., when our flight was due in at 2:35 or so.  I had my friend's phone number, so if anything disastrous happened, we could cancel.  Our flight came in about on time and things worked out in the end.  A little positive perspective goes a long way, even though having plans go awry is obviously disappointing.

The bigger deal for us was having to totally rearrange our plans on Eclipse Day.  I had originally planned to drive 30 minutes south from Rocksprings to view the eclipse -- had a perfect place picked out and everything.  Because of the weather forecast -- and the stress involved with even trusting meteorologists -- we instead headed three hours north to Goldthwaite and that worked out quite well.  Clinched counties I wouldn't have otherwise.

So, yeah, one can focus on the high concept of "flexibility," but that's a little simplistic.  Perhaps it is a matter of managing the disappointment of not being able to pursue one's original plan (i.e., I didn't get to make it to Amistad NRA on this trip as planned), and trying to at least come up with a "good enough" plan B.  Heaven knows that disappointment can be overwhelming, though (e.g., on my lone trip to Hawaii, I couldn't see a lava flow well enough from the official viewpoint and they wouldn't let us in any closer due to toxic fumes -- the nerve!).  Good times, bad times...can only hope for the best and plan a second trip if the first doesn't work out...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on April 09, 2024, 03:36:23 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 08, 2024, 10:16:01 PMYup, even a 99% partial eclipse is just not the same as 100% totality. The way the moon's shadow comes and goes so quickly leading to full darkness (surrounded by 360 degree "sunset" if you're in a place with open views) is what makes totality unique.

Yeah, now it's awkward trying to explain to people (friends, coworkers, etc.) who didn't make the effort to drive an hour south of home that totality is so much cooler than the partial eclipse. I'm very disappointed my Dad didn't join us in Port Stanley, instead choosing to work from home (he also missed the 2017 eclipse, it's not coincidence that my Mom and brother saw it in 2017 and we were the ones determined to see it yesterday!)

That is a bummer. You'll have to tell him what he missed, although maybe he knows and just doesn't care. I have some friends/family that are like that too and just don't get what the hype is for. I get it - and was bummed to miss out on the full experience - but I am also fascinated by the traffic impacts as much or more so than the celestial event itself. 

Quote from: 7/8 on April 09, 2024, 03:36:23 PMTrue, I would still place totality under clouds much higher than partial under clear skies.

100% agreed. :sombrero: The clouds do also add to the effect of the darkness. Even though totality is way darker than a partial eclipse, the sky in your photo and others I've seen doesn't look nearly as dark as the true night sky.

7/8

Quote from: webny99 on April 09, 2024, 10:04:42 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on April 09, 2024, 03:36:23 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 08, 2024, 10:16:01 PMYup, even a 99% partial eclipse is just not the same as 100% totality. The way the moon's shadow comes and goes so quickly leading to full darkness (surrounded by 360 degree "sunset" if you're in a place with open views) is what makes totality unique.

That is a bummer. You'll have to tell him what he missed, although maybe he knows and just doesn't care. I have some friends/family that are like that too and just don't get what the hype is for. I get it - and was bummed to miss out on the full experience - but I am also fascinated by the traffic impacts as much or more so than the celestial event itself. 

We definitely stressed the fact that 99% is much less than 100% before we left, so unlike many people, he was aware of the importance of totality. However, I would say most people who haven't actually seen it themselves will underestimate how cool it is (and I'm sure that's the case with him too). Like many things, photos and videos don't compare to the lived experience!

Quote from: webny99 on April 09, 2024, 10:04:42 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on April 09, 2024, 03:36:23 PMTrue, I would still place totality under clouds much higher than partial under clear skies.

100% agreed. :sombrero: The clouds do also add to the effect of the darkness. Even though totality is way darker than a partial eclipse, the sky in your photo and others I've seen doesn't look nearly as dark as the true night sky.

The photo might be a bit brighter than reality (phones typically brighten images at night), but it looks similar to my memory. It certainly wasn't nighttime levels of black, due to the horizon's 360 sunset. My boss' photo from Niagara looked darker, and I suspect the overcast sky is why.

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on April 09, 2024, 08:47:07 PMalong with that comet.  I've never seen one of those either, and now I probably never will.

I mean, you don't need an eclipse to see a comet. They can be seen at night, and every so often one shows up that's bright enough to be visible to the naked eye. I didn't see the comet yesterday (had no idea where in the sky to look for it, and it wasn't really a priority), but I have photos of a comet from 2020 that I took.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ozarkman417

The eclipse was a success. Quite a miracle given it was overcast only an hour or two before. A low cloud covered the eclipse in its last 20 seconds, so the second set of Bailey's Beads was not visible. Seeing the red solar prominences with my own eyes at the bottom and right of the sun is something I'll never forget.

Henry

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 08, 2024, 04:15:30 PM
Quote from: Henry on April 08, 2024, 03:29:33 PMOf all the times not to be in Chicago for the event, but I'm sure all my old friends and family back there are enjoying it right now. And even worse, Seattle is not going to get a glimpse of it at all, but Denver (where my brother Jeff lives) is  :banghead:

Quote from: vdeane on April 08, 2024, 02:14:33 PMIt's looking like a complete bust for Rochester.  Fully overcast with thick, medium/low level clouds that aren't moving.  Coming here will probably be one of the biggest regrets in my entire life, especially as I could have gotten up into my Adirondacks on a day trip if I had left when I usually do for work.  Of course, that leads to the question of what people even do while they're waiting.  Deeply jealous of anyone who gets to see this eclipse or any other.  A once in a lifetime chance, and I blew it.
The news reports say that we'll have another one in 20 or 21 years.

August 23, 2044 is the next total eclipse in the contiguous 48.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_August_23,_2044
Hopefully I'll be alive to see this one (I'd be 74 by then).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on April 09, 2024, 11:12:01 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 09, 2024, 08:47:07 PMalong with that comet.  I've never seen one of those either, and now I probably never will.

I mean, you don't need an eclipse to see a comet. They can be seen at night, and every so often one shows up that's bright enough to be visible to the naked eye. I didn't see the comet yesterday (had no idea where in the sky to look for it, and it wasn't really a priority), but I have photos of a comet from 2020 that I took.
I don't even recall the last one to be visible with the naked eye in upstate NY (I don't own binoculars or a telescope).  Might have been on a cloudy day (which, let's be honest, is most days in NY, even in summer) or one too faint to see with the light pollution that pervades the area around my apartment (and has gotten worse in recent years; I could see many more stars just 5 years ago than I can now).  The Capital District is probably the worst place one could possibly be in upstate NY to be interested in astronomy, because there's nowhere nearby one can legally stop and get a clear view of dark skies (the only contender is Thacher State Park, and the police are very good at finding and kicking people out), and the local astronomy group disappeared during COVID.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: vdeane on April 10, 2024, 12:52:24 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on April 09, 2024, 11:12:01 PM

I don't even recall the last one to be visible with the naked eye in upstate NY (I don't own binoculars or a telescope).  Might have been on a cloudy day (which, let's be honest, is most days in NY, even in summer) or one too faint to see with the light pollution that pervades the area around my apartment (and has gotten worse in recent years; I could see many more stars just 5 years ago than I can now).  The Capital District is probably the worst place one could possibly be in upstate NY to be interested in astronomy, because there's nowhere nearby one can legally stop and get a clear view of dark skies (the only contender is Thacher State Park, and the police are very good at finding and kicking people out), and the local astronomy group disappeared during COVID.

Perhaps this October

https://starwalk.space/en/news/visible-comet-2024

Rothman

There was a visible comet in upstate NY over the past five years.  Saw it out here.

Don't have to go to Thacher...not sure why'd they kick you out.  I've found a couple of cornfields for stargazing...lots of wide spots off the road to look up from and the like.

Saw the eclipse in a cemetery...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on April 09, 2024, 02:30:17 PMThen within 5 minutes after totality, it was no darker than a thunderstorm, and you could hear the din of traffic roar back to life almost in real time. In fact, I would say that during totality and within about three minutes before and after (roughly 10 minutes total) was the only time in which the sky was darker than I've ever seen it before during the daytime. I recall heavy storm clouds that had about the same overall brightness effect of about ~90% totality (again, this is why 99.9% doesn't cut it :) )

When I wrote this post, I figured that I was probably exaggerating a bit. But no, this video explains that even 95% totality is about as dark as an overcast day and 99% is still 1000 times brighter than totality. That tracks pretty well with my experience, it was really only after ~75% that the dimming light became noticeable, and the rapid transition from 99% to 100% was the most exciting part of the experience.

This article provides an overview of many of the same points from the video: https://skyandtelescope.org/2024-total-solar-eclipse/how-dark-does-it-get-during-a-total-solar-eclipse/

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on April 10, 2024, 01:08:46 PMDon't have to go to Thacher...not sure why'd they kick you out.  I've found a couple of cornfields for stargazing...lots of wide spots off the road to look up from and the like.
The park is closed at night.  It comes up on r/Albany whenever the northern lights might be visible and people ask where they can go to see them.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on April 10, 2024, 08:51:53 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 10, 2024, 01:08:46 PMDon't have to go to Thacher...not sure why'd they kick you out.  I've found a couple of cornfields for stargazing...lots of wide spots off the road to look up from and the like.
The park is closed at night.  It comes up on r/Albany whenever the northern lights might be visible and people ask where they can go to see them.

But a state highway goes right through it. :D

I do have to say I find it easier to find a quiet spot outside of Syracuse than outside the Albany area.  Seems there's more of an abrupt end to the development outside of the metro area of Syracuse, so you don't have to go that far to find the dark.

Gotta be a place out in Clarksville or out thattaway... :D

SSOWorld

Figured I'd send my result.

The clouds were rolling through over Kerrville (1 hr. at normal traffic speeds northwest of San Antonio - which is where I overnighted) but the sun was peaking through quite a bit. The sun was visible during the pre-totality diamond ring before being covered for 15 seconds, then - they cleared and the total eclipse was visible plain as "night" (though some whisps of clouds were blurring it at times) for 30 - 45 seconds before off-an-on visibility happened.  about 2 minutes in the clouds covered it for the duration of totality.  Kerrville got lucky because surrounding areas and towns had clouds in the way 100% of the time - take for example Fredericksburg (1/2 hr.? north of Kerrville) had visible sun going up to the start and then lost all of totality to clouds.

Though I was able to see it - the full corona was not visible (about 75%) and I did not see the flares with the naked eye (they're too small).  I didn't have cameras set up to zoom in and was free-handing my phone.  The one clear-ish shot I took was pixilated, but one can see how it looked though.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.