News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US 2 in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - old pic and map

Started by M3100, February 19, 2024, 11:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

FYI - while on a self-guided tour of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, I came across these.  The photo - of the Greyhound stop in St. Ignace, dates from the early 1960s IIRC. The map is from the late 1940s I think, predating the "Mighty Mac"; note the earlier routing of US 2.

triplemultiplex

Look at that; "Marquette National Forest".  I've only ever known it as the Hiawatha.

Also, the people drawn on the map give me major Fallout vibes with the art style.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hockeyjohn

The map is older than the late '40s.   The summer 1938 official Michigan map shows the shoreline routing of US-2 from Brevort skirting around Gros Cap and into St. Ignace while the 1935 edition shows the routing on this map.   Chris Bessert's michiganhighways.org website will be able to tell you more precisely when the new stretch opened.

The map itself looks like those included in "The Lure of the Land of Hiawatha" travel guides put out by the Upper Peninsula Development Bureau during the 1930s with a "best of" reproduction published by IXL Creative of Marquette, Mich. in the 1990s.

Based on the font of the US-2 sign and the style of clothing in the photo, it may pre-date the early '60s.   US-2 was moved from the downtown St. Ignace routing to the new expressway which opened in 1958 from the bridge north to M-123.   It is possible that this sign was missed but also possible the Grand Hotel guessed on the date.

Thanks for posting these!

mgk920

Everything with that photo screams 'mid to late 1930s!' to me.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

It's hard to believe that a freeway was once proposed to run from Escanaba to St. Ignace. If that freeway had been completed as proposed, the US 2 designation should have been truncated to Escanaba, and the US 2 freeway should have been numbered Interstate 98. Of course, all that was built was the US 2/US 41 expressway from Wells to Rapid River.

kphoger

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 20, 2024, 01:34:54 PM
It's hard to believe that a freeway was once proposed to run from Escanaba to St. Ignace. If that freeway had been completed as proposed, the US 2 designation should have been truncated to Escanaba, and the US 2 freeway should have been numbered Interstate 98. Of course, all that was built was the US 2/US 41 expressway from Wells to Rapid River.

And, as I recall from hitchhiking through there 20 years ago or so, that stretch isn't even a freeway either.  I think I caught a ride in Gladstone, where I remember there being a stoplight, and another ride in Rapid River, where I remember US-41 splitting off at grade.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 20, 2024, 01:34:54 PM

Not necessarily.  Michigan is one of those states that believes US highways can be freeways as well, unlike say, *cough* Illinois *cough*.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SEWIGuy

A US-2 freeway would be an absolute waste of money.

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 20, 2024, 02:22:35 PM

But don't forget, it's already being planned.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 03, 2023, 11:21:00 PM
I have an I-98 planned along the upper peninsula of Michigan
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2024, 02:30:06 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 20, 2024, 02:22:35 PM

But don't forget, it's already being planned.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 03, 2023, 11:21:00 PM
I have an I-98 planned along the upper peninsula of Michigan
Say his name three times and he'll appear.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

usends

usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

JCinSummerfield

I still think US-31 should be expanded to go all the way the Whitefish Point, replacing the eastern leg of M-123.

bulldog1979

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on March 04, 2024, 01:27:05 PM
I still think US-31 should be expanded to go all the way the Whitefish Point, replacing the eastern leg of M-123.

I'd extend US 23 up for the same idea. Then M-123 would be a semi-logical spur of US 23. Of course that would mean a second I-75/US 23 overlap in Michigan.

The Ghostbuster

I'd renumber MI 123 between Newberry and Paradise as an extension of MI 117 and extend MI 123 northward along N. Whitefish Pond Rd. to its northern end at the Whitefish Point Lighthouse. I think it is a little confusing to have a state highway head northward, westward, and then back southward. The renumbering I suggested would clear that up.

bulldog1979

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 06, 2024, 10:33:14 AM
I'd renumber MI 123 between Newberry and Paradise as an extension of MI 117 and extend MI 123 northward along N. Whitefish Pond Rd. to its northern end at the Whitefish Point Lighthouse. I think it is a little confusing to have a state highway head northward, westward, and then back southward. The renumbering I suggested would clear that up.

There was a plan by MDOT to do just that, if the state could gain jurisdiction over Whitefish Point Road. But unless the department gets control over that road, there's no need to extend M-117 and change M-123. M-22 has a similar configuration, so M-123 isn't even that unique in the state.

JREwing78

Quote from: bulldog1979 on March 07, 2024, 11:40:18 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 06, 2024, 10:33:14 AM

There was a plan by MDOT to do just that, if the state could gain jurisdiction over Whitefish Point Road. But unless the department gets control over that road, there's no need to extend M-117 and change M-123. M-22 has a similar configuration, so M-123 isn't even that unique in the state.

How much arm-twisting could it possibly take for Chippewa County to go "Hey, sure, go ahead and take over maintenance of Whitefish Point Rd!" MDOT clearly wasn't pushing the idea THAT hard.

Flint1979

MDOT isn't going to be interested in that. M-123 is fine the way it is. It's a loop route into the Tahquamenon Falls and Paradise area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.