News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Themed street names

Started by hm insulators, December 08, 2010, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

The town of Orange City, IA (which, BTW, is where Pizza Ranch is based) has an alphabetical series of streets named for state capital cities.

Road Hog

Regarding the naming of streets after presidents – there is a new subdivision the next town over that manages to do it alphabetically!

Adams

Buchanan

Coolidge

Delano

Eisenhower

Ford

Garfield

That's where it ends. I guess Harrison (both iterations) would be next. Followed by Johnson (twice as well), than Kennedy, Lincoln and a rock-paper-scissors among Madison, Monroe, Millard, McKinley and Milhous.

No I's unless you wanted to double up with an Ike.

tdindy88

I was recently reminded of some subdivisions around the Indianapolis metro area that were unique.

In the aptly named town of Avon, named for the river for which a town was home to Shakespeare there's one subdivision called Stratford of Avon named after characters from his plays. With Romeo Drive and Juliet Drive from the main east-west roads, the north-south roads go in order: Shakespeare, Horatio, Claudius, Ophelia, Caesar, Othello, Hamlet, Macbeth and Keeler (I'm not sure about that last one.)

In Fishers, there's a football themed subdivision with the following names: Bengals, Bills, Raiders, Vikings, Bears, Rams, Cowboys, Redskins, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Dolphins, Titans, Quarterback, Touchdown and End Zone. Oddly, no streets named after the Colts. The name of this subdivision? The Bristols.

Finally in southeast Indianapolis there's a subdivision with the names of Indiana state parks: Shakamak, Corydon, Shades, Clifty Falls, Harmonie, Patoka, Pokagon, Summit Lake and Dunes with a few other similar names.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 29, 2020, 02:44:05 AM
Oddly, no streets named after the Colts.

When was it built? If it's pre-1984, the Colts would have still been in Baltimore.

Roadrunner75

In Fishers, there's a football themed subdivision with the following names: Bengals, Bills, Raiders, Vikings, Bears, Rams, Cowboys, Redskins, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Dolphins, Titans, Quarterback, Touchdown and End Zone. Oddly, no streets named after the Colts. The name of this subdivision? The Bristols.
What!?  No Eagles??

Big John

Quote from: KCRoadFan on June 29, 2020, 10:54:44 PM
Oddly, no streets named after the Colts.

When was it built? If it's pre-1984, the Colts would have still been in Baltimore.
It includes the Jaguars, who entered the NFL in 1995. And the Titans, who changed their name in 1999.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: SGwithADD on June 27, 2020, 07:00:48 PM
The Binghamton area has a few of these:

• On the West Side of the city, there is a block named after famous composers and writers: Beethoven, Mendelsohn (sic), Hayden (sic), Haendel (sic), Mozart, Schubert, Goethe, Schiller (in addition to the misspellings, many of these have non-traditional pronunciations, such as BEE-tho-ven)

In the Zaragoza, Spain neighborhood of Rosales del Canal, where street are named after composers as well, Haendel is also spelt that way (the original being Händel and German allows to substitute ä for ae when no umlaut is available, however Spanish uses ü so I don't see why they didn't use ä on the street plates). On the other hand Haydn and Mendelssohn are spelt correctly. And Mozart is nowhere to be seen, since he already had a circle at the other end of the city.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

mrsman

Quote from: xcellntbuy on December 08, 2010, 08:47:15 PM
Hollywood, Florida uses a presidential theme on its east-west Streets beginning with Washington and ending with Coolidge.  The city's gridiron was laid out in the 1920's.

This pattern covers all presidents between Washington and Coolidge.  [No entry for JQA, but an entry for John Adams - no entry for Ben Harrison, but an entry for WH Harrison] Is there another presidential pattern somewhere that reaches more presidents, inclusive and in order?

ibthebigd

Horse names in Lexington Ky

SM-G950U

KCRoadFan

Off US 50 just east of Union, MO, there is a subdivision with Beatles-themed street names: Let It Be Boulevard, Rigby Ridge, Strawberry Fields, Lennon Lane, Sergeant Pepper Street, Lucy Lane, Yesterday Way, and (of course) Abbey Road and Penny Lane. Here it is: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Union,+MO+63084/@38.4356534,-90.9619497,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x87d91be4cffbb007:0x5b772cad32cb5d99!8m2!3d38.4500517!4d-91.0084762

ozarkman417

Bruce

The RSL Academy in Herriman, UT has a neighboring development with several streets named for soccer players: Pele, Mia Hamm, Franz Beckenbauer, Lionel Messi, Hope Solo, and David Beckham. (Maps link)

Desert Man

Quote from: mgk920 on April 16, 2019, 08:15:10 PM
Quote from: empirestate on April 12, 2019, 01:35:29 PM
Quote from: US 89 on April 12, 2019, 08:13:07 AM
In a unique move for Utah cities, Ogden names its grid north-south streets for presidents. US 89 through downtown is Washington Blvd, and the names go up in order east of there, using "Quincy"  for the 6th president. The city runs out of room past Buchanan, but the names restart on the other side of Washington, skipping Johnson possibly because he was impeached.

Wonder would they do/would do for the Harrisons, or the Bushes?

For a row of streets to be named in straight order after USA presidents, with no duplications, the list as of now would be:

1 - Washington
2 - Adams
3 - Jefferson
4 - Madison
5 - Monroe
(5.1 - John Quincy Adams)
6 - Jackson
7 - Van Buren
8 - Harrison
9 - Tyler
10 - Polk
11 - Taylor
12 - Fillmore
13 - Pierce
14 - Buchanon
15 - Lincoln
16 - Johnson
17 - Grant
18 - Hayes
19 - Garfield
20 - Arthur
21 - Cleveland
(21.1 - Benjamin Harrison)
(21.2 - Cleveland - 2nd term)
22 - McKinley
23 - Roosevelt
24 - Taft
25 - Wilson
26 - Harding
27 - Coolidge
28 - Hoover
(28.1 - Franklin D. Roosevelt)
29 - Truman
30 - Eisenhower
31 - Kennedy
(31.1 - Lyndon B. Johnson)
32 - Nixon
33 - Ford
34 - Carter
35 - Reagan
36 - Bush
37 - Clinton
(37.1 - George W. Bush)
38 - Obama
39 - Trump

I can see the potential for confusions between Tyler and Taylor, though.  :meh:

Mike

The eastern half of the Coachella Valley in California (from 78-97 miles from Riverside, going by 5 digit address numbers) has North-South streets named for Presidents' surnames: Washington to Cleveland, but there's no Quincy Adams, William Henry Harrison and Zachary Taylor. The whole Coachella Valley has West to East streets, every mile you have an even number: From 8th to 86th Avenues. Would it be great to take a picture of 47th Ave. and Polk St. (87 miles from Riverside) which meet south of I-10 and the All-American (Coachella) canal is right there.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

ThatRandomOshawott

Murray, Kentucky has a few examples of themed road names.
One being the Kingswood subdivision, with names like Lancelot, Camelot, and Guinevere. https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5850108,-88.3400692,3a,34.5y,218.73h,84.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbZbyZI0lHsCRASgxvd0D7Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Another being the old part of town's east-west streets, which are named after trees (Poplar, Elm, Sycamore, etc.)
Lastly, the city cemetery's network of lanes are named after presidents.  https://www.google.com/maps/@36.6173125,-88.3071231,3a,15y,2.53h,85.09t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1slVdoPKIxzOVy9pwAgSxEEw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DlVdoPKIxzOVy9pwAgSxEEw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D47.049946%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

But yeah, America is brimming with themed roads.

zachary_amaryllis

we have a bunch of space-themed streets in fort collins
https://goo.gl/maps/beUMi4kC5HSUoQNg8
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

KCRoadFan

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned on the thread - but I know that in north Philadelphia, a lot of the east-west streets are named for various counties in Pennsylvania.

(Map of the area: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.997896,-75.168042,14z)

What other cities around the country have a series of streets named after counties throughout the state in which the city is located? I believe the example from Atlantic Beach, NY (https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5881105,-73.732381,16z) was mentioned earlier on the thread - as a bonus, those streets are also arranged alphabetically, which I like.

machias

The Chicago "K" , "L" , "M" , and "N"  streets have been mentioned, but there's more to it. They're grouped one letter to the mile, and start at that mile from the Indiana-Illinois border. So "K"  starts 11 miles from the border, "L"  starts 12 miles from the border, etc.

kphoger

I just noticed while driving today that, immediately north of the Textron/Hawker/Beechcraft complex here in Wichita, there is a neighborhood with aviation-themed street names:

Chamberlin – pilot who carried the first transatlantic passenger
Beech – founder of Beech Aircraft Company
Byrd – first pilot to reach the North Pole (accomplishment disputed)
Goebel – competitive and aerobatic aviator, winner of the Dole Air Race
Von Thaden – aviation record holder, first female winner of the Bendix trophy
Mellor – co-founder of Beech Aircraft Company, wife of Walter Beech
Hoyt – along with Lloyd Stearman and Clyde Cessna and George Lyle, formed what is basically Spirit AeroSystems today
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mrsman

Quote from: Desert Man on October 26, 2020, 11:52:17 AM
Quote from: empirestate on April 12, 2019, 01:35:29 PM
Quote from: US 89 on April 12, 2019, 08:13:07 AM
In a unique move for Utah cities, Ogden names its grid north-south streets for presidents. US 89 through downtown is Washington Blvd, and the names go up in order east of there, using "Quincy"  for the 6th president. The city runs out of room past Buchanan, but the names restart on the other side of Washington, skipping Johnson possibly because he was impeached.

Wonder would they do/would do for the Harrisons, or the Bushes?

For a row of streets to be named in straight order after USA presidents, with no duplications, the list as of now would be:

1 - Washington
2 - Adams
3 - Jefferson
4 - Madison
5 - Monroe
6 - Jackson
7 - Van Buren
8 - Harrison
9 - Tyler
10 - Polk
11 - Taylor
12 - Fillmore
13 - Pierce
14 - Buchanon
15 - Lincoln
16 - Johnson
17 - Grant
18 - Hayes
19 - Garfield
20 - Arthur
21 - Cleveland
22 - McKinley
23 - Roosevelt
24 - Taft
25 - Wilson
26 - Harding
27 - Coolidge
28 - Hoover
29 - Truman
30 - Eisenhower
31 - Kennedy
32 - Nixon
33 - Ford
34 - Carter
35 - Reagan
36 - Bush
37 - Clinton
(37.1 - George W. Bush)
38 - Obama
39 - Trump

Mike

The eastern half of the Coachella Valley in California (from 78-97 miles from Riverside, going by 5 digit address numbers) has North-South streets named for Presidents' surnames: Washington to Cleveland, but there's no Quincy Adams, William Henry Harrison and Zachary Taylor. The whole Coachella Valley has West to East streets, every mile you have an even number: From 8th to 86th Avenues. Would it be great to take a picture of 47th Ave. and Polk St. (87 miles from Riverside) which meet south of I-10 and the All-American (Coachella) canal is right there.

This trailer park in Illinois has a whole bunch of presidents listed in alphabetical order from Adams to Van Buren.  One president per letter and some letters get skipped.  They have a Franklin Rd which could either be for FDR or Ben Franklin (who wasn't a president).
Some presidents are named in other parts of the trailer park.

AFAIK no streets named for Jefferson, JQA, either Harrison, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, Johnson, Hayes, Arthur, Garfield, Cleveland, Wilson.  Kennedy is the most recent president named.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Elmhurst+Rd,+Elk+Grove+Village,+IL/@42.0140236,-87.9355398,17.35z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x880fb0cedee6b801:0x1a2b56d3f1b8e478!8m2!3d42.0132943!4d-87.940461

CNGL-Leudimin

Update for this:

1 - Washington
2 - Adams
3 - Jefferson
4 - Madison
5 - Monroe
6 - Jackson
7 - Van Buren
8 - Harrison
9 - Tyler
10 - Polk
11 - Taylor
12 - Fillmore
13 - Pierce
14 - Buchanon
15 - Lincoln
16 - Johnson
17 - Grant
18 - Hayes
19 - Garfield
20 - Arthur
21 - Cleveland
22 - McKinley
23 - Roosevelt
24 - Taft
25 - Wilson
26 - Harding
27 - Coolidge
28 - Hoover
29 - Truman
30 - Eisenhower
31 - Kennedy
32 - Nixon
33 - Ford
34 - Carter
35 - Reagan
36 - Bush
37 - Clinton
(37.1 - George W. Bush)
38 - Obama
39 - Trump

Mike

40 - Biden
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

KCRoadFan

Because this thread was recently revived, I figured I would add my latest example - one from my area.

The town of Paola, Kansas - about 50 miles southwest of KC - is the county seat of Miami County, which derives its name from the Indian tribe of the same name. The street running west from the courthouse is named Miami Street, and the east-west streets to its north are named for various bands of the Miami tribe (Wea, Peoria, Piankishaw, Kaskaskia), whereas those to the south have the names of various other Indian tribes (Shawnee, Ottawa, Chippewa, Osage). Meanwhile, many north-south streets in Paola are named for minerals and gemstones (Diamond, Iron, Gold, Silver, Pearl, Agate) as well as trees (Walnut, Oak, Maple, Hickory, Mulberry).

Also in the greater KC area, the east-west streets in Leavenworth, Kansas, are likewise named for Indian tribes.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

elsmere241

Wilmington, Delaware has a range of presidential streets, from Washington to Van Buren, with Adams in the John Quincy Adams position.  (I-95 runs between Adams and Jackson.)  There is a Lincoln Street (in a one-way pairing with Union Street) further west, and if the presidential theme had been stuck to, Lincoln would be in the right position.

Old Hickory, Tennessee has a neighborhood of streets with names that would be very familiar to northern New Castle County.  My cousin and her family used to live on Barley Mill Road, and there's also Kennett, Montchanin, Brandywine, Rising Sun, and Rolling Mill.

MATraveler128

Tewksbury, MA has a group of streets that are named after the 50 states e.g Florida, Maryland, Michigan etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5737387,-71.2050031,16z

This group of streets in Lynnfield, MA all end in "wood" e.g Pinewood, Maywood, Elmwood, etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.524816,-71.0224269,17z
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Road Hog

I mentioned a example one town over earlier, but an unincorporated area across the county line from me has a Derby Circle, a Preakness Circle and a Belmont Circle with six termini along an FM road. They are "circles" after all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.