I-69 in LA (and LA 3132/Shreveport Inner Loop Extension)

Started by Grzrd, April 27, 2011, 06:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: sparker on February 25, 2020, 08:04:30 PM
TX is more than willing to flex their significantly larger muscles!
As evident by at least 4 different I-69's, along with two spurs.

bwana39

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 25, 2020, 07:31:35 PM
This has always bugged me...

Asides from serving Marshall and some towns south of Texarkana, isn't I-369 technically redundant to I-49 in Louisiana?

If I-69 was constructed to I-49 (~30 miles between Texas and Louisiana), it's 91 miles of completed interstate highway (I-49) to Texarkana.

I-369 is a 100 mile freeway that will practically parallel the already existing I-49.

The only thing I-369 has going for it is that it will be around 20 miles shorter and bypass Shreveport, but in a world with limited funding, wouldn't it be more worthwhile to focus on completing the connection to I-49 simply to provide a completed interstate highway connection that's competitive to the proposed I-369 / US-59 routing?

I'm not against the idea of completing I-369, but it's just a thought. Obviously political pressure in Texas will drive its completion to keep the corridor entirely in that state rather than dipping into Louisiana even if it requires over 100 miles of new interstate highway (at least $2.5 billion or more).

I-20 doesn't have the capacity to carry what it already does.  So the Marshall to Shreveport route is not the way to go. It probably would cost 75% as much to upgrade I 20 and 220 not even taking into consideration the delays and mess. Upgrading US 79 from Carthage to Greenwood is probably a better and less expensive alternative. A lot Texas folks outside of Shelby county seemingly prefer this as the I-69 main route.

Why does Texas have problems with the EIS on the Logansport to Stonewall Segment? Primarily because Louisiana wants Texas to pay for most of it (agreed the route Louisiana insists on leaves most of the significant wetland disturbance in Texas.)  Basically they want the bridges across the Sabine to be all in Texas, closer to Joaquin than the Texas to Louisiana crossing in or near Logansport.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: sparker on February 25, 2020, 07:05:31 PM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 25, 2020, 03:54:48 PM
I-69 in Louisiana need not happen soon; since there is still enough time to wait until TX and LA resolves the beef over whether and whenever the I-69/I-369 fork will be built.

The fork itself isn't the issue; it's all but a foregone conclusion that TxDOT and their Alliance for I-69/TX cohorts would greatly prefer to act as if I-69 from Houston to Tenaha and the whole of I-369 is the main corridor to be prioritized.  The "stub" into LA -- and whether it can snag a "piece of the action" , so to speak, poses the question that need to be answered about TX commitment to the part of the project they consider of secondary importance.  AFAIK, there still is no consensus regarding exactly where the I-69 "main line" will cross the state line -- along US 84 or somewhere to the north of that point.  Until at least that occurs, any corridor activity in the Shreveport area is simply a local matter, isolated from the developmental effort in TX. 

But one thing is more likely than not -- I-69 east of Tenaha will be configured as a TOTSO from the 69/369 interchange unless it's developed as a fully directional wye (LH exit for 369 NB).

Historically, Texas doesn't like turn off to stay on.  I635 NB at I-20EB was reconfigured to  assert the primacy of I-20 even though the high traffic count stays on 635. Confuses me every time that you stay left to turn right.  I realize highway purists despise TOTSO but sometimes it has a better flow,

bwana39

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 25, 2020, 09:22:33 PM

Spending money that you have is not being a bully. Yes Texas has gobs of money they can spend.Texas has the money to build roads in Texas. I don't see the logic in building a connector that will land out on LA-5 and dump freeway traffic onto what amounts to a moderate quality Farm to Market road.

sparker

Quote from: bwana39 on February 26, 2020, 11:54:45 PM

Spending money that you have is not being a bully. Yes Texas has gobs of money they can spend.Texas has the money to build roads in Texas. I don't see the logic in building a connector that will land out on LA-5 and dump freeway traffic onto what amounts to a moderate quality Farm to Market road.

Neither does TxDOT; hence the reason for their prioritization of 69/369 over the "stub" into LA, which still lacks a definitive state-line crossing point.  They're not being a bully by any means; but they will quite naturally prioritize corridor segments that benefit their own populace -- and Marshall, along the 369 portion, is the largest town in that area.  By sticking to that priority, they're doing what state highway departments have done for the last century -- take care of their own.  And, in a backhanded way, that is -- via I-20 -- providing a reasonably direct path from Houston to Shreveport in the process, providing an indirect benefit to that city without any activity from LA entities (effectively a type of "free rider").     

bwana39

Quote from: sparker on February 27, 2020, 04:12:46 AM
Quote from: bwana39 on February 26, 2020, 11:54:45 PM

Neither does TxDOT; hence the reason for their prioritization of 69/369 over the "stub" into LA, which still lacks a definitive state-line crossing point.  They're not being a bully by any means; but they will quite naturally prioritize corridor segments that benefit their own populace -- and Marshall, along the 369 portion, is the largest town in that area.  By sticking to that priority, they're doing what state highway departments have done for the last century -- take care of their own.  And, in a backhanded way, that is -- via I-20 -- providing a reasonably direct path from Houston to Shreveport in the process, providing an indirect benefit to that city without any activity from LA entities (effectively a type of "free rider").   

I will agree with one point. That the routing is as much about politics as about expediency / efficiency.

bwana39

I was involved in an interesting discussion with someone who is inside the political process of Louisiana last week. His take on I-69 was neither promising nor favorable.  His take is that the priority is low enough it will NEVER get built. He thinks the portion from I-49 to I-20 will probably get built in the next twenty years, primarily due to the Red River crossing at the Port of Shreveport / Bossier.  The part from I-49 to Texas is an outside possibility but the part on to the Arkansas state line is far less likely. The bottom line is both states are looking at the other state's lack of movement and neither will start until the other one does. Even if Arkansas were eager, Louisiana might still not be in play for it.

As to Louisiana, I-49 from Lafayette to New Orleans will occupy most of the funding during the first half of the current decade. The point of any construction project in NORTH Louisiana is to trade votes to get what SOUTH Louisiana wants / needs.

What does SOUTH Louisiana want / need after i-49 is finished to New Orleans? Louisiana needs to rebuild / upgrade I-10 pretty much from Lake Pontchartrain to the Texas line.
The Baton Rouge Loop is the highest priority un-started project. While I-69 may be a trade-off that gets built to offset the SOUTH Louisiana spending, the folks in the south would prefer another North / South Corridor. Where would they build that? Probably from Natchez to Monroe and try to get Mississippi to build freeway along US-61 to Natchez.  New Roads to Monroe would be the better choice, but the three rivers crossings and getting it elevated enough to not flood would likely make this cost prohibitive.  In a perfect world, Mississippi would build US 61 as freeway  to Vicksburg or farther and Louisiana would have far less need to build it themselves.

So we all know I-49 is not that congested. Why another north south route?  Evacuate the coast when hurricanes come through.  When you hear about making significant improvements to US 96 in Texas that is the purpose; NOT that the traffic is routinely overwhelming.

The bottom line is that North Louisiana ESPECIALLY Northwest Louisiana lacks the political clout in Baton Rouge to get I-69 built. It doesn't get close enough to Alexandria or Monroe for their support. Lacking some miracle (or a major US capital improvement program dictated from Washington) , I-69 in Louisiana is not going to get built.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: bwana39 on July 16, 2020, 04:23:06 PM
I was involved in an interesting discussion with someone who is inside the political process of Louisiana last week. His take on I-69 was neither promising nor favorable.  His take is that the priority is low enough it will NEVER get built.

I agree with your assessment of the situation.

There is the tremendous backlog of higher-priority projects in Louisiana that never seem to move forward. There doesn't even seem to be funding for much-needed projects like replacing the Lake Charles I-10 bridge. Then there's I-49 from Lafayette to New Orleans, which I drove recently and was surprised how much work needs to be done (probably $1-2 billion). Then consider maintenance on aging existing facilities which are getting older every year (e.g. I-10 built in the 1960s), and low-priority projects just don't have much chance of ever being built.

Louisiana's small population of 4.6 million and uncertain economic future, with the oil & gas industry in long-term decline, means that resources are very limited. Even Texas, with vastly more resources, is struggling to get I-69 built in a reasonable time period. (Sure, there is far more mileage in Texas, but TxDOT's slow & steady program is going to take at least 20 more years.)

Barring some kind of major (and unlikely) long-term federal funding for Interstate System expansion, bwana39's assessment is almost certain going to be reality. I'm not even convinced I-49 New Orleans-Lafayette can ever be finished.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

brad2971

Quote from: MaxConcrete on July 16, 2020, 06:43:35 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on July 16, 2020, 04:23:06 PM
I was involved in an interesting discussion with someone who is inside the political process of Louisiana last week. His take on I-69 was neither promising nor favorable.  His take is that the priority is low enough it will NEVER get built.

I agree with your assessment of the situation.

There is the tremendous backlog of higher-priority projects in Louisiana that never seem to move forward. There doesn't even seem to be funding for much-needed projects like replacing the Lake Charles I-10 bridge. Then there's I-49 from Lafayette to New Orleans, which I drove recently and was surprised how much work needs to be done (probably $1-2 billion). Then consider maintenance on aging existing facilities which are getting older every year (e.g. I-10 built in the 1960s), and low-priority projects just don't have much chance of ever being built.

Louisiana's small population of 4.6 million and uncertain economic future, with the oil & gas industry in long-term decline, means that resources are very limited. Even Texas, with vastly more resources, is struggling to get I-69 built in a reasonable time period. (Sure, there is far more mileage in Texas, but TxDOT's slow & steady program is going to take at least 20 more years.)

Barring some kind of major (and unlikely) long-term federal funding for Interstate System expansion, bwana39's assessment is almost certain going to be reality. I'm not even convinced I-49 New Orleans-Lafayette can ever be finished.

Frankly, on I-49 from Lafayette to NOLA, if the feds weren't going to kick in the $1-2 billion to complete it after Katrina's flood, when there would have been a reason to do so that would've been obvious to the rest of the USA, it's significantly doubtful the feds would do so 15 years after Katrina. The apparent success of I-10 east and west out of NOLA as a contraflow route may have (regretfully) diminished the need for an additional interstate out of NOLA.

Anthony_JK

Disagree entirely re: I-49 South. It's going to get built ultimately....maybe very slowly at a snail's pace, but it will get done.

LADOTD is already fully committed to and is still planning the upgrade of US 90 in lower Lafayette and Iberia/St. Martin Parishes. The Albertson's Parkway/St. Nazaire Road/LA 182 interchange is complete and does even contain some beginning progress on the frontage road bridges over the BNSF rail line that will ultimately extend to the Ambassador Caffery Parkway South future interchange. Planning is also going strong on the next interchange down the line at Youngsville Parkway/Young Street (LA 92/LA 92-1), and expanding the frontage roads further south to ultimately the LA 88 interchange, where the completed freeway segment through New Iberia to near Jeanerette begins.  From there on to Wax Lake, all that remains is to remove some direct access crossings and remove the rail spur crossing south of LA 85.

That would leave the Lafayette Connector segment to the existing I-49/I-10 interchange, the segment just south of there (including the Verot School Road, Southpark Road (LA 89), and Morgan Avenue interchanges and continuous frontage roads), and the segment between Wax Lake and Berwick through Patterson and Bayou Vista. Obviously, funding has to be secured, but even at a slowed down pace I think LADOTD is too committed to this project to even consider trashing it....especially since they have now secured I-10 through BTR.

The Lafayette to Morgan City segment will probably be the first priority for I-49 South completion, then finishing the Westbank Expressway to US 90. The segment from Raceland through Des Allemands and Boutte and the connection to I-310 will probably be the last link to be built.

The justification for I-49 South is not another hurricane evacuation route for NOLA, but access to the major ports in South Louisiana and hurricane evac for those towns and cities (Morgan City, New Iberia, et. al.) served by the US 90 corridor.

The Calcasieu River Bridge and widening of I-10 from the Texas state line to at least Lafayette (to meet the now under construction widening from Lafayette east to the foot of the Atchafalaya Basin viaduct) would probably be the next emphasis, along with completing I-49 through downtown Shreveport to fill that gap.

bwana39

Quote from: Anthony_JK on July 17, 2020, 01:53:50 PM
Disagree entirely re: I-49 South. It's going to get built ultimately....maybe very slowly at a snail's pace, but it will get done.

LADOTD is already fully committed to and is still planning the upgrade of US 90 in lower Lafayette and Iberia/St. Martin Parishes.

The justification for I-49 South is not another hurricane evacuation route for NOLA, but access to the major ports in South Louisiana and hurricane evac for those towns and cities (Morgan City, New Iberia, et. al.) served by the US 90 corridor.

The Calcasieu River Bridge and widening of I-10 from the Texas state line to at least Lafayette (to meet the now under construction widening from Lafayette east to the foot of the Atchafalaya Basin viaduct) would probably be the next emphasis, along with completing I-49 through downtown Shreveport to fill that gap.

I think I exactly agree with you Anthony.  I-49 south of Layfayette will be completed as funds become available. It is not if, it is when.

I agree the I-49 downtown connector is a part that WILL get built IF NLCOG is supporting it. The problem with I-49 through Shreveport and LA-3132 to the port is the local politics. The problem with the local politics is lack of consistiency. As the regime changes, so do the priorities. The problem on this (or these projects) is if the funding becomes available when the against faction's voice is the official one, the monies will go to "someone who wants it."

Max, as to the I-49 / US-90 upgrade, I agree with your premise, but I believe it is a project that WILL get built even at the neglect of other more needed projects.  As an aside, much of the US-90 freeway already open on the route will need MAJOR repairs by the time the rest of it is finished.

Anthony_JK

Going back to the original topic of this thread:

NLCOG really needs to get on the stick and push hard for the Stonewall-Haughton-El Dorado-Monticello branch of I-69, because that's what they are relying on as a connection to the Port of Greater Shreveport-Bossier now that any dream of a full Inner Loop extension through Barksdale AFB has been shattered (BAFB is now getting an access entrance tied into the east I-20/I-220 interchange). If Texas manages to get I-369 completed to Texarkana before LA and TX work out their differences on a Tenaha-Stonewall routing for I-69, they could lose it all....especially if Mississippi and Arkansas decide to bail on the Great River Bridge.

I still think that ultimately they will complete I-69 as a full corridor, but time will tell and money is of the essence. In the meantime, I-49 South and I-49 through Shreveport, as well as widening I-10, should be the main priorities as of now.

rte66man

Quote from: Anthony_JK on July 22, 2020, 10:36:50 AM

NLCOG really needs to get on the stick and push hard for the Stonewall-Haughton-El Dorado-Monticello branch of I-69, because that's what they are relying on as a connection to the Port of Greater Shreveport-Bossier now that any dream of a full Inner Loop extension through Barksdale AFB has been shattered (BAFB is now getting an access entrance tied into the east I-20/I-220 interchange).

So where is the extension of I220 east of Bossier City going to end up?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

abqtraveler

Quote from: rte66man on July 22, 2020, 07:29:00 PM

NLCOG really needs to get on the stick and push hard for the Stonewall-Haughton-El Dorado-Monticello branch of I-69, because that's what they are relying on as a connection to the Port of Greater Shreveport-Bossier now that any dream of a full Inner Loop extension through Barksdale AFB has been shattered (BAFB is now getting an access entrance tied into the east I-20/I-220 interchange).

From what I've seen, the extension of I-220 will provide direct access to Barksdale AFB from I-20. I think they're building a new gate for the base that the freeway extension will end at.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

edwaleni

Quote from: abqtraveler on July 22, 2020, 10:13:38 PM

From what I've seen, the extension of I-220 will provide direct access to Barksdale AFB from I-20. I think they're building a new gate for the base that the freeway extension will end at.

The LADOT Project site is here.

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/home.aspx?key=129

bwana39

The extension will go to a new MAIN ENTRANCE at Barksdale and nowhere else.

Quote from: abqtraveler on July 22, 2020, 10:13:38 PM

The extension will go to a new MAIN ENTRANCE at Barksdale and nowhere else.

cjk374

Look at the current main gate entrance at the intersection of US 71, LA 3032 (Shreveport/Barksdale Hwy) and the Kansas City Southern's mainline to New Orleans. Any wonder why BAFB NEEDS a new main gate?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jDQqudAZmBoD2Cqa7

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

sprjus4

Quote from: cjk374 on July 25, 2020, 02:23:08 PM
Any wonder why BAFB NEEDS a new main gate?

Better access to the east, and to provide a direct connection to the interstate system. Reduce traffic on surface routes.

debragga

Look at the current main gate entrance at the intersection of US 71, LA 3032 (Shreveport/Barksdale Hwy) and the Kansas City Southern's mainline to New Orleans. Any wonder why BAFB NEEDS a new main gate?

Traffic can get really nasty there when a train comes through. Direct access from an interstate will be much better.

cjk374

Quote from: debragga on July 25, 2020, 06:20:37 PM

Traffic can get really nasty there when a train comes through. Direct access from an interstate will be much better.

When I was growing up, if you came down LA 3032 to the light there, you only had 6 seconds of green light to turn left. After that, you had to sit 2 minutes while everyone around you took turns (longer than your green light). LaDOTD has since lengthened the green light for LA 3032.

And yes, the few trains that cross there are lengthy and can back traffic up in all 4 directions for awhile.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mgk920

Also, the connections between the Main Gate and I-20 look to be pretty crappy overall, the railroad notwithstanding.  Might the Air Force be planning to move the entire base to the other side of the runway once that new access is completed?

Mike

abqtraveler

Quote from: mgk920 on July 28, 2020, 12:07:53 PM

Also, the connections between the Main Gate and I-20 look to be pretty crappy overall, the railroad notwithstanding.  Might the Air Force be planning to move the entire base to the other side of the runway once that new access is completed?

Mike

It would be really hard to relocate the base building to the other side of the airfield. Aside from the amount of MILCON money it would take to construct all new buildings, the real showstopper would be the "historical" nature of the base.  Because the base has been designated as historical, simply demolishing the existing buildings and building new ones in their place is a definite no-go. Point in fact, to make simple modifications to the existing facilities at BAFB requires years jumping through a zillion hoops just to get the design approved, thanks to all of the additional reviews and clearances that are required under a historic place designation.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

bwana39

The newer Military housing is East of the flight line already. The other gates are not going to totally close. Traffic will still be relatively as close to the main base as it is currently going through either the main or north gates and the city streets to get there.

bwana39

You keep the Military as happy with you as you can. Bossier Parish built a campus for a command that was maybe coming. Then PTB in DC decided to put it somewhere else.
https://www.ksla.com/story/6520927/cyber-command-center-could-come-to-bossier/
https://www.ktbs.com/news/barksdale-loses-cyber-command-headquarters/article_bca68e6b-ebb4-5440-8ae9-7666c841e125.html

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 25, 2020, 03:18:37 PM
Any wonder why BAFB NEEDS a new main gate?

Better access to the east, and to provide a direct connection to the interstate system. Reduce traffic on surface routes.

bwana39

You know; I am sure I seem like a know-it-all, I don't.

I have looked at the existing I-49 / I-220 intersection and I cannot see for the life of me where the Inner City Connector would come out of it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.