News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tolled provincial highways

Started by Alps, June 09, 2013, 05:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

This does NOT include toll bridges or ferries, only stretches of road that are tolled or require a fee to traverse.
ON 407 ETC
AB 93
?

NE2

Highway 407 is technically not a provincial highway.

There's the part of the TCH in Nova Scotia.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on June 09, 2013, 07:14:53 PM

There's the part of the TCH in Nova Scotia.
True on the first one, but if I didn't state it, you know someone else would have jumped in. NS 104 apparently opened after I visited NS, which is why I forgot about it.

NE2

Formerly: the Coquihalla Highway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roads#Canada lists no others (well, technically you didn't say no tunnels).

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

A few of the Quebec autoroutes were toll until the 1980s, IIRC.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on June 09, 2013, 08:09:08 PM
A few of the Quebec autoroutes were toll until the 1980s, IIRC.
Yep. There are still a few remnants (blue signs, Kentucky-style loop-only interchanges).

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on June 09, 2013, 08:04:54 PM
Formerly: the Coquihalla Highway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roads#Canada lists no others (well, technically you didn't say no tunnels).
It also doesn't list AB 93, which requires a National Parks pass to drive through Banff and Jasper Parks. There could be others of that ilk.

ghYHZ

Here's the Tolls on Nova Scotia's TCH104:

New Brunswick's TCH2 was also to have been tolled between Long's Creek (Fredericton) and River Glade (Moncton). Toll Booths were even constructed but never opened as the Government in power at the time was defeated on that issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brunswick_Route_2

"This portion of the privately built realignment of the Trans-Canada Highway has a hidden toll calculated by sensors in the pavement. The toll is instead charged to the provincial government, thus motorists do not directly pay for their highway usage. Along with a payment worth millions of dollars to get out of the original contract, the provincial government now makes all provincial taxpayers cover the cost of the highway when the original plan had been for a user-pay system under a toll structure"

ghYHZ

Quote from: Steve on June 09, 2013, 09:27:04 PM
It also doesn't list AB 93, which requires a National Parks pass to drive through Banff and Jasper Parks. There could be others of that ilk.

The times I driven AB93, I've always required a Park Pass and it's checked at the Park Gate year "˜round.

The Cabot Trail (NS "Hidden"  Trunk 30) also passes through a National Park....." Cape Breton Highlands"  with Park Gates at each end in Ingonish and Cheticamp. There's several communities outside the park boundaries but beyond the gates that can only be accessed by the Cabot Trail so unless you are stopping in the park at look-off etc. you can just by-pass the gates without stopping.......and the gates are only manned during the tourist season.

aridawn

Quote from: ghYHZ on June 10, 2013, 04:45:24 AM

The times I driven AB93, I've always required a Park Pass and it's checked at the Park Gate year "˜round.

The Cabot Trail (NS "Hidden"  Trunk 30) also passes through a National Park....." Cape Breton Highlands"  with Park Gates at each end in Ingonish and Cheticamp. There's several communities outside the park boundaries but beyond the gates that can only be accessed by the Cabot Trail so unless you are stopping in the park at look-off etc. you can just by-pass the gates without stopping.......and the gates are only manned during the tourist season.

With respect to the park passess, where provincially or national, they are not just a toll, but a day use pass for not just the roads, but the park and trails. AB-93, BC-95 as well to some extent of AB-16A through Jasper, I don't consider a toll road in the traditional sense as would be on non-park roads.

Dr Frankenstein

Wasn't a part of the TCH in New Brunswick tolled for a very short amount of time?

dmuzika

Quote from: aridawn on June 10, 2013, 12:56:11 PM

With respect to the park passess, where provincially or national, they are not just a toll, but a day use pass for not just the roads, but the park and trails. AB-93, BC-95 as well to some extent of AB-16A through Jasper, I don't consider a toll road in the traditional sense as would be on non-park roads.

The Icefields Parkway (AB 93 between Lake Louis and Jasper) is unique in that it does require a park pass even if the traveler is passing through the park.  For example, the shortest route from Calgary to Prince George (and points beyond) is via the parkway and a day pass would be required.  This has only been like this for maybe the last 10-15 years, before that a day pass was not required.  I recall when I was a kid my parents would sometimes take AB 11 and AB 93 as a scenic alternative when traveling between Central Alberta and Vancouver and a pass wasn't required.

Conversely, thru traffic on TCH 1, TCH 16, and AB/BC 93 (Castle Jct. to Radium Hot Springs) do not require a day pass if you're simply traveling straight though.

NE2

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on June 10, 2013, 04:14:09 PM
Wasn't a part of the TCH in New Brunswick tolled for a very short amount of time?
Quote from: ghYHZ on June 10, 2013, 03:43:59 AM
New Brunswick's TCH2 was also to have been tolled between Long's Creek (Fredericton) and River Glade (Moncton). Toll Booths were even constructed but never opened as the Government in power at the time was defeated on that issue.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on June 09, 2013, 08:56:16 PM
Yep. There are still a few remnants (blue signs, Kentucky-style loop-only interchanges).

were blue signs a definite differentiator between free and toll roads?  I had thought all the old autoroute signs were blue well into the 1980s.

also, what is a Kentucky-style loop-only interchange?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 10, 2013, 05:40:07 PM
Quote from: NE2 on June 09, 2013, 08:56:16 PM

were blue signs a definite differentiator between free and toll roads?  I had thought all the old autoroute signs were blue well into the 1980s.
I have no idea.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 10, 2013, 05:40:07 PM
also, what is a Kentucky-style loop-only interchange?
One of these, with a toll booth under the bridge:
http://www.kentuckyroads.com/images/kentuckyroads/bg_exit59.jpg.html
Oklahoma has (had?) them too.

ghYHZ

Here's one of the locations where Toll Booths were located on the Eastern Townships AutoRoute "AutoRoute des Cantons-de-l'Est"

http://goo.gl/maps/2z3k5

You can see how all traffic entering or exiting had to make a wide loop to pass through the Toll Booth. The Tourist Bureau here was once part of the booths.

http://goo.gl/maps/FL2Nf

ghYHZ

Quote from: NE2 on June 10, 2013, 05:38:14 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on June 10, 2013, 04:14:09 PM
Quote from: ghYHZ on June 10, 2013, 03:43:59 AM

I know I'm second guessing myself (and I did get my info from a Wikipedia article!!)........but I do remember a lot of controversy over the tolls at the time which helped defeat the provincial Liberal government.......Perhaps there was a Toll for a very short time.

Alps

With respect to the park passes, where provincially or national, they are not just a toll, but a day use pass for not just the roads, but the park and trails. AB-93, BC-95 as well to some extent of AB-16A through Jasper, I don't consider a toll road in the traditional sense as would be on non-park roads.
BC 95? Didn't see where that would require a pass. Same with 16A, as long as you're just passing through.

dmuzika

Quote from: Steve on June 10, 2013, 07:13:02 PM

With respect to the park passes, where provincially or national, they are not just a toll, but a day use pass for not just the roads, but the park and trails. AB-93, BC-95 as well to some extent of AB-16A through Jasper, I don't consider a toll road in the traditional sense as would be on non-park roads.
BC 95? Didn't see where that would require a pass. Same with 16A, as long as you're just passing through.

A couple corrections in the mountain parks:

- BC 95 doesn't go through a national park,  are you meaning BC 93 through Kooteney National Park?

- Contrary to what Google Maps is currently showing, there is no AB 16A in Jasper; Connaught Avenue (the main road through the town) does not have a highway number attached to it.  The argument can be made that it should also be called AB 16A.

Additional Points:

- There are a couple small routes assigned as AB 93A near Jasper.  Technically you don't need a park pass to drive those routes, but some require taking AB 93, which does require a park pass, in order to access the routes.  There booths south of Jasper and north of TCH 1 near Lake Louise that reenforce the need for a pass.

- The Bow Valley Parkway (AB 1A) between Banff and Lake Louise does not require a park pass but is a good scenic alternative to TCH 1 located on the opposite side of the Bow River.  Unfortunately the speed limit is only 60 km/h (35 mph).

yakra

Isn't there still a toll (50p?) on the Harbour Bridge in Saint John on NB1?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Alps

Quote from: yakra on June 11, 2013, 10:03:21 PM
Yes, but I didn't count bridges, and I think it's at least $1.

ghYHZ

Quote from: Steve on June 11, 2013, 10:19:43 PM

Toll was eliminated about 2 years ago.

Alps

Quote from: ghYHZ on June 12, 2013, 05:35:11 AM
Quote from: Steve on June 11, 2013, 10:19:43 PM

Toll was eliminated about 2 years ago.
Is the 1 freeway completed too? When I was that way it was still under construction for about 30 km.

yakra

It's completely complete. Visible in Google.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

cbeach40

Quote from: NE2 on June 09, 2013, 07:14:53 PM

The short answer is, Highway 407 is a provincial highway, for which the consortium has taken the responsibility and liability for its operation. The province is still very involved with the highway and its development.

Additionally, construction of the 407 extension, as well as the West Durham Link are underway or just about to be, bringing another 35 km of toll freeway into service in the near future.
and waterrrrrrr!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.