News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Speed Limits That Make No Sense When Compared to Each Other

Started by webny99, August 26, 2021, 06:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

What makes it even more crazy is the fact I-83 is 65 mph but that stretch of highway can't be. I drove it a few months ago, maintained around 75 mph the whole way, and was passed on numerous occasions. Even that felt borderline crawling, I would've been comfortable around 80 mph - a typical rural interstate / freeway speed. No reason it shouldn't be even 70 mph.

PennDOT says because it is not designed for it. I call BS.

mrsman

Here are my complaints on local streets near where I live.

This street, Wayne Ave has two lanes in both directions.  It has a speed limit of 25 MPH and also has occasional speed cameras to help with enforcement.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9973953,-77.0216165,3a,37.5y,58.13h,83.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA3OlpS_XUJHgQQp0lsEGcQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Here is Dale Drive that intersects Wayne Ave about 1/4 mile ahead of the previous link.  It has only one lane in each direction, is somewhat curvy, and has narrow shoulders and no sidewalks.  For whatever reason, it has a speed limit of 30 MPH.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0010206,-77.0178287,3a,75y,321.22h,76.71t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-Cxglm9z0QsVdDd5ySCuBA!2e0!5s20191001T000000!7i16384!8i8192

Is there any rhyme or reason to this?  IMO, Dale has a proper speed limit given its constraints.   In recent times, the county has done some traffic calming on Dale, with curb extensions and bulbouts that actually make it quite difficult to go much faster than 30-35.  Good job Montgomery County.

But I have no idea how Wayne is justified to be at 25 given that in all regards it is safer than Dale, since Wayne has twice as many lanes, sidewalks, and is a straighter street.  It easily has the feel of a street for 35-40, so knowing about the cameras I basically crawl on the street while watching the speedometer.

MATraveler128

In my area, US 3 from Burlington to the New Hampshire border has too low a speed limit. It really should be at least 65. I've gone 70 on that and people fly by me at 80+. Mass State Troopers say that it is how it is because they won't allow it.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

SD Mapman

The default speed limit on county roads in SD is 55 mph but can be set lower if desired. My county (Lawrence) has notoriously low speed limits throughout the county, with roads like this being 35, for example. Butte County, just to the north, just uses the default speed limit (55) for anywhere that's not 2 miles outside a town. This leads to a scenario where you are on a well-maintained gravel road (dust suppression, the whole nine yards) with a speed limit of 40 in Lawrence County and you cross the Redwater into Butte County and the speed limit ups to 55 while the road turns to loose rocks and dust.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

tolbs17

The eastern part of the CF Harvey Parkway in Kinston. It should be 65 or 70 mph but the posted speed is only 60 mph. This is a duplicate thread and therefore it should be merged with this one.

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 22, 2022, 08:38:38 PM
The eastern part of the CF Harvey Parkway in Kinston. It should be 65 or 70 mph but the posted speed is only 60 mph. This is a duplicate thread and therefore it should be merged with this one.
And of course, you bumped the other thread with the exact same message just so it's recent enough to warrant a merge...

tolbs17

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 22, 2022, 08:45:43 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 22, 2022, 08:38:38 PM
And of course, you bumped the other thread with the exact same message just so it's recent enough to warrant a merge...
I did not see this thread otherwise I would have posted it here.

Flint1979

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 27, 2021, 05:24:19 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on August 27, 2021, 09:48:10 AM
Most any two lane rural road in Illinois only being 55 mph.

IL, WI, and IA need to get on board with MN and MI in this regard, although are there any two-lane roads in the LP posted at 65?
Just in the northern part north of Standish. M-65 is 65 mph as far south as US-23. Nothing is 65 south of there.

epzik8

Quote from: sbeaver44 on September 07, 2021, 08:05:07 PM
US 30 being 55 between Lancaster PA and York while PA 283 between Lancaster and Harrisburg is 65

Drives me insane every time.  Guessing PennDOT hasn't done any speed studies on US 30 for ages.

Prevailing speeds on 30 are easily 65-70, not that different from 283, and I'd argue 30 has similar design to 283

I could accept 55 approaching Mt Zion Rd from the west in York, or 55 from Centerville Rd and east in Lancaster.  But 55 around Wrightsville is insane.
So is 55 on US 1 in Chester County. I've hit 80 on it on multiple occasions.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

tolbs17

I-295 in Fayetteville should be 70 mph and yet it's only 65.

I-40 from Hillsborough to Raleigh should be 70 mph too.

I-40/I-85 from Greensboro to Hillsborough should be 70 and it's only 65 for some unknown reason.

I-40 from I-840/I-73 to the I-74 interchange in Winston-Salem. should be 70 and its posted at 65.

I-40 from Garner to Raleigh.

I-40 in Statesville is 60 mph, but the reason why is because it's substandard. Will probably be raised to 70 mph when rebuilt.

I-77 in Statesville is only 55 mph, but when rebuilt the fastest it will probably go to is 65 mph due to tight ramps.

US-70 (future I-42) in New Bern. Was 55 mph, but then raised to 60, should have been 65 but will probably go to 65 once the James City upgrades are complete.

I-73 north of Greensboro on the freeway that opened in 2017, why 65? Should be 70!

I-74 from the I-85 interchange in High Point to I-73/I-74 should be 70 but its posted at 65.

The Monroe Expressway. Should be 70 mph but for unknown reasons, it's only 65 mph.

To add in my home town, Memorial Drive (NC-11) has a short speed limit drop near Dickinson Ave. It drops from 45 mph to 35 mph between Maxwell Drive to the Norfolk Southern railroad track.

HighwayStar

Any state where the maximum speed limit is less than 75 inherently makes no sense. Speed limits in general for most of the US Interstate system make no sense.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

hotdogPi

Just to clarify: the OP is comparing two different roads and saying that they're inconsistent with each other. This is not a thread for blanket statements.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

HighwayStar

Quote from: 1 on January 24, 2022, 07:31:56 AM
Just to clarify: the OP is comparing two different roads and saying that they're inconsistent with each other. This is not a thread for blanket statements.

While you are of course correct, the title of the thread likely did not help in attracting such specific responses.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

tolbs17

I'm 100% sure NOBODY drives 50 mph on this expressway alignment. I'm guessing the reason why it's that low is because of the surrounding businesses and whatnot. Could have been 60 or 65

https://goo.gl/maps/gxUHvVELA2JJ8ybJA

sprjus4

^

Additionally, given that segment has numerous businesses and driveways, 55 mph would likely be the maximum speed it would be raised to.

And either way, it would not be permitted to be 65 mph as its not a controlled access facility.

webny99

Quote from: HighwayStar on January 24, 2022, 11:21:41 AM

While you are of course correct, the title of the thread likely did not help in attracting such specific responses.

I updated the thread title. It's a bit wordier, but hopefully clearer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.