News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadgeeks and Weatherfans

Started by Alex, January 18, 2009, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgb191

QuoteIt was already 40 F here last week in the morning (but in the upper 60's during the day).

We don't even get that cold in January.

Quotewhere is that?

South Texas.....between Laredo and McAllen.

Here is what we are looking at this week:

We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Chris

There's currently a winter storm warning in northern Utah, including I-80. The first snow of the season. A winter weather advisory is also in effect for northeastern Nevada, including I-80. A blowing dust advisory is in effect for central eastern Nevada. Freeze warnings and watches are in effect for northern California, Minnesota, Wisconsin, northern Michigan and parts of Idaho. In other words; winter has begun  :clap:

Chris

First snow along I-80 just outside Salt Lake City:

:spin:

Edit:

I-15 Monida Pass, Montana:

Lost Trail Pass

I-84 southern Idaho

hm insulators

Autumn has arrived in Phoenix. For the next week, temperatures are only supposed to get up into the low 90's. Here, that counts as autumn!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

froggie

Flying back from San Diego on Friday, there was snow in the mountains northeast of Santa Fe, NM.  My guess on the snow line was about 10.5-11K...

Scott5114

Currently 72 degrees. Highs in the mid-70s here in Norman. Lows in the high-to-mid 50s. Oklahoma has finally hit "autumn", which we will spend approximately two weeks in, before "winter" kicks in towards the end of this month. It will invariably rain or be ass-freezingly-cold on October 31.

I'm ready for winter...my A/C keeps breaking down and I'm tired of calling Maintenance to come fix it!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Chris

WA DOT:

QuoteI-90  - As of 1 p.m., Interstate 90 remains closed both directions from the Moses Lake Exit 179 to Ritzville milepost 220, due to blowing dust and near zero visibility. No detour is available. Due to the weather related nature of this closure an estimated time to open the roadway is not determined.

Chris

Some cameras along I-90 in Wyoming:

I-90 in Montana, just north of the Wyoming state line.

I-25 at Monida Pass.

jgb191

Back in the triple-digits for about the next week.  We're looking at 103 degrees today with the heat index expected to reach 113 degrees.  And 100 degrees tomorrow with an expected 111 heat index.

Wishing this would last a while; I am not ready for cold weather.

jgb191

Perhaps the last shot of summer has just went....an early morning low of 86 degrees this morning and climbed to a high of 103 degrees with a heat index of 112 degrees this afternoon.

But a very strong cold front is expected to arrive tomorrow and will send our temperatures plunging way down to low 80s, ending our current streak of four straight days in the triple-digits.

Chris

Significant snowfall throughout Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and into South Dakota, Kansas and New Mexico. The greatest snowfall is along the Front Range in Colorado:

TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM 18
TO 36 INCHES WITH UP TO 4 FEET POSSIBLE IN FAVORED UPSLOPE AREAS
EAST OF THE CONTINENTAL DIVIDE.

Interstate 80 is closed between Laramie and Cheyenne in Wyoming.

mightyace

Got some hard numbers on how WET it's been in Middle TN:

We are 2" over normal for October.
September was the wettest EVER.

For the year we are +12".

I'm singin' in the rain...  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

jgb191

Looking at a low of 80 degrees overnight tonight, then rising to 96 degrees tomorrow afternoon with a heat index near 100 expected.  Gotta love South Texas!

i-95

im soooo weatherfan and roadgeek.

Scott5114

I wrote a script to fetch the weather from the NWS site. Eventually I'd like to expand it to something somewhat resembling the WeatherStar 3000 or 4000, but I can't find a good, easily-parsable source for 36 hour forecast data. Here's the output it gives me so far (I can easily set up the next screen on the 4000 as well):

Conditions at Norman
Partly Cloudy
Temp:  52°F
Humidity:  88%  Dewpoint:  48°F
Barometric pressure: 29.91 in.
Wind:  North at 8.1 MPH (7 KT)
Visib.:  10 mi.

Alex

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 14, 2009, 10:11:43 PM
I wrote a script to fetch the weather from the NWS site. Eventually I'd like to expand it to something somewhat resembling the WeatherStar 3000 or 4000, but I can't find a good, easily-parsable source for 36 hour forecast data. Here's the output it gives me so far (I can easily set up the next screen on the 4000 as well):

Have you tried the WeatherSTAR 4000 emulator?

froggie

Quotebut I can't find a good, easily-parsable source for 36 hour forecast data.

Don't remember where offhand, but NWS has something...

simguy228

It gets very cold during the winter here but if you go to Memphis, there's a lot more snow  :happy:
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

Scott5114

Quote from: AARoads on November 14, 2009, 10:59:30 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 14, 2009, 10:11:43 PM

Have you tried the WeatherSTAR 4000 emulator?

Yes, but it's so complex because it depends on the NET framework that I have very little chance of getting it to run on Linux. The next version will use DirectX, which is even worse for me...

I used to use it and have fun with it when I had a spare Windows box around.

mightyace

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 15, 2009, 11:41:46 AM
Yes, but it's so complex because it depends on the NET framework that I have very little chance of getting it to run on Linux. The next version will use DirectX, which is even worse for me...

I used to use it and have fun with it when I had a spare Windows box around.

Well there is the Mono Project (http://www.mono-project.com) which lets .NET applications run under Linux and MacOS.  It can be daunting getting something to work if it uses too many Window's specific stuff especially for the next version with DirectX.

Have you considered running a Virtual Windows Machine under Linux?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Scott5114

I think that would require having a copy of Windows I could install, though. I have a copy of XP, but I cannot boot to it (it is not a system disk), meaning it's about useless for anything besides a direct upgrade from another version of Windows.

If I could find a good easy (HTTP, not bizarre-futuristic-protocol!) 36-hour forecast data source, I could just add it to my script and be happy as that would lead to me learning more Perl.

mefailenglish

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 16, 2009, 11:49:42 PM
If I could find a good easy (HTTP, not bizarre-futuristic-protocol!) 36-hour forecast data source, I could just add it to my script and be happy as that would lead to me learning more Perl.
You mean something like this?

http://www.weather.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=AFM&node=KOUN

If that's not it, describe what you're looking for and I'll let you know if I can find it.

Scott5114

I'm looking for their text-based (that is, not purely numerical) forecasts. Something along the lines of "Tonight...Partly cloudy in the evening...Then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s. Northeast winds around 10 mph." These are what WeatherStar displays, and they're the most useful to your casual weather consumer, but unless I am not finding them properly the only similar thing requires something called SOAP or REST to access. If they can give me the current conditions over HTTP in a nice, easily-parsable XML file, why the heck do I have to discover what being a "RESTful client" means to get forecasts? Stupid government.  :banghead:

mefailenglish

Chris

The severe weather season seems to begin again in the south. There's a tornado watch for southern Alabama and southeastern Mississippi, excluding the immediate Gulf coast. There are also severe thunderstorm warnings from Texas / Oklahoma towards Alabama. Flood warning and flash flood warnings also seem to be on the increase.

Enough to enjoy for the extreme weather enthusiasts in the coming months...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.