News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Nice to know that a flyover is planned for the GSP/ACX interchange. I'm assuming N-W, although putting one in S-E would make some sense too (clover-stack all the things!).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 22, 2020, 02:10:27 PM
Nice to know that a flyover is planned for the GSP/ACX interchange. I'm assuming N-W, although putting one in S-E would make some sense too (clover-stack all the things!).

S-E is much less important, as a lot of traffic going South exits onto US 30 towards AC before reaching the Expressway.

storm2k

The ACX document states that it's to replace the current 38B GSP NB to ACX WB cloverleaf ramp, which causes plenty of slowdowns in peak months with traffic headed home to the Philly burbs from the Cape May shore region.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on November 23, 2020, 03:08:31 AM

The ACX document states that it's to replace the current 38B GSP NB to ACX WB cloverleaf ramp, which causes plenty of slowdowns in peak months with traffic headed home to the Philly burbs from the Cape May shore region.

The current configuration (a 2 lane clover ramp) certainly suggests the N-W movement is the one most in need of a flyover.

That said, CD roadways wouldn't hurt elsewhere in that interchange where the clover ramps will be retained.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on November 23, 2020, 04:59:32 AM

The current configuration (a 2 lane clover ramp) certainly suggests the N-W movement is the one most in need of a flyover.

That said, CD roadways wouldn't hurt elsewhere in that interchange where the clover ramps will be retained.

Sadly, there doesn't look like there's enough room under that overpass to add C-D roads on the Parkway without completely rebuilding the entire overpass. I don't think there's much you can do any useful C-D roads on the ACX either.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on November 23, 2020, 11:44:48 AM
Quote from: famartin on November 23, 2020, 04:59:32 AM

Sadly, there doesn't look like there's enough room under that overpass to add C-D roads on the Parkway without completely rebuilding the entire overpass. I don't think there's much you can do any useful C-D roads on the ACX either.

The entire interchange was basically reconstructed, including the SJTA getting the NJTA to pay for widening the overpass.

I wonder if C/D lanes were ever discussed as an option.

In NJ, it's funny to see some fairly low-volume interchanges have C/D lanes, yet busy interchanges do without.  In some cases it probably had to do with planned greatness that never materialized.

roadman65

The NJ 37 exchange with the Parkway at Toms River has a totally antiquated cloverleaf that for four decades been dangerous.  Should become a SPUI but major work to replace the bridge over Route 37 would need to be done competing with other needed projects to accomplish.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on November 25, 2020, 01:42:20 AM
The NJ 37 exchange with the Parkway at Toms River has a totally antiquated cloverleaf that for four decades been dangerous.  Should become a SPUI but major work to replace the bridge over Route 37 would need to be done competing with other needed projects to accomplish.

That whole section that is concurrent with US 9 thru Toms River needs a rebuild. They've worked on either end but the middle portion (CR 527 and NJ 37 interchanges) are sub-standard, for sure.

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on November 25, 2020, 03:06:07 AM

That whole section that is concurrent with US 9 thru Toms River needs a rebuild. They've worked on either end but the middle portion (CR 527 and NJ 37 interchanges) are sub-standard, for sure.

Express and local configuration would work for that.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: famartin on November 25, 2020, 03:06:07 AM

There are some significant issues in there - existing narrow roadway is constrained by water and ROW. Not surprising that the easier projects have been tackled first.

storm2k

Widening and reconstruction in that Toms River stretch is in the current 10 year plan for the Turnpike Authority so hopefully they'll work on that, but as it's been pointed out, there are going to be some big challenges to rebuild that area to meet the volume needs.

D-Dey65

I was just recommended a six year old video about the Pulaski Bridge on YouTube, and the condition of the pylons shown in the thumbnail looks really scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nLJ5Nc6Ojc

I remember there was some big restoration project several years ago. Evidently NJDOT didn't finish the job.

famartin

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 01, 2020, 10:15:26 AM
I was just recommended a six year old video about the Pulaski Bridge on YouTube, and the condition of the pylons shown in the thumbnail looks really scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nLJ5Nc6Ojc

I remember there was some big restoration project several years ago. Evidently NJDOT didn't finish the job.

The video is 2014. The rehabilitation finished around 2018, so this is likely repaired.

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

TheGrassGuy

famartin

TheGrassGuy

famartin

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 04, 2020, 11:18:14 AM
Quote from: famartin on December 04, 2020, 10:41:18 AM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 04, 2020, 10:23:57 AM
What are these shields?

Looks like an old, worn CR shield.

Does it say "Hunterdon County" or "Perryville Road"?
It looks like a standard CR shield (move to a view from the back side to see the pentagon shape more clearly), but I can't tell what it says.

Alps

famartin

TheGrassGuy

Mr. Matté

Perryville used to be a county road and I have a map showing that as being CR 635, probably the reason why today 625 and 635 both awkwardly end at the four-way intersection with 173.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 05, 2020, 07:56:50 AM
Perryville used to be a county road and I have a map showing that as being CR 635, probably the reason why today 625 and 635 both awkwardly end at the four-way intersection with 173.

Woah, Hunterdon used to use 2-digit county route numbers? The more you know :wow:

famartin

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 05, 2020, 09:38:47 PM

Woah, Hunterdon used to use 2-digit county route numbers? The more you know :wow:
Probably was common in NJ before the 500/600 series development occurred in the 50s.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on December 05, 2020, 11:27:05 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 05, 2020, 09:38:47 PM

Probably was common in NJ before the 500/600 series development occurred in the 50s.

My understanding was that the 5xx series came with the 1953 renumbering since the 5xx routes function as a sort of state secondary highway system, but the 6xx standard came more towards the late 60s or early 70s?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.