News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Smartphone app that lets you post to Twitter and Facebook at once?

Started by bandit957, August 11, 2018, 10:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Is there an app for that?

Recently, Facebook cut off the feature that let you automatically post your Twitter messages on your Facebook timeline. But I need something that allows me to send messages to both my Twitter feed and my Facebook timeline simultaneously - like I used to be able to do. Facebook no longer accepts posts from SMS either, so I can't use that.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on August 11, 2018, 10:48:10 PM
Is there an app for that?

Recently, Facebook cut off the feature that let you automatically post your Twitter messages on your Facebook timeline. But I need something that allows me to send messages to both my Twitter feed and my Facebook timeline simultaneously - like I used to be able to do. Facebook no longer accepts posts from SMS either, so I can't use that.

TweetDeck? I think it used to be able to do what you're looking for.

I think you can still do the opposite -- make posts to Facebook show up on Twitter. That feature is still active on the Facebook page I manage for work. So look into that, and do your original posts on Facebook and have them automatically go out on Twitter, instead of vice versa.

Facebook also recently cut off access to some apps and services to automatically schedule posts. I believe Buffer is one of the services that no longer works. I suspect this was in (over)response to all this silly stupid "Russia Russia Russia!" nonsense.

In a somewhat similar quest, what I would like to find is some sort of automatic texting service or app, that would let me send a text message out to subscribers from either a mobile device or a desktop browser interface. That would enable me to compile a listing of reporters' cell phones and automatically send them a text whenever we have a traffic alert to pass along. That text would consist of the Facebook post link, which they could in turn share with their followers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

If the simple Google search I ran last night is to be believed, then yes.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2018, 01:37:15 PM
I think you can still do the opposite -- make posts to Facebook show up on Twitter. That feature is still active on the Facebook page I manage for work. So look into that, and do your original posts on Facebook and have them automatically go out on Twitter, instead of vice versa.

Problem is that Facebook no longer allows posts from SMS either.

bandit957

I looked into Tweetdeck, and they haven't had Facebook support in years.

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on August 12, 2018, 02:16:56 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2018, 01:37:15 PM

Problem is that Facebook no longer allows posts from SMS either.

Does FB still allow posts from email? At one time, it did, but I never used that function. Nor did I use the SMS function.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2018, 04:00:50 PM
Does FB still allow posts from email? At one time, it did, but I never used that function. Nor did I use the SMS function.

I've never heard of Facebook allowing posts from e-mail. If it does, it's useless for me unless Twitter allows it too.

abefroman329

bandit957

bandit957

The main thing I need to do is figure out to use SMS to post to Facebook again. Facebook's number (FBOOK) doesn't seem to work anymore. If I can figure that out, I can do the rest.

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on August 12, 2018, 04:05:07 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2018, 04:00:50 PM

I've never heard of Facebook allowing posts from e-mail. If it does, it's useless for me unless Twitter allows it too.

A long, long time ago, Facebook would provide you with an email address that allowed you to send a message to that address, and it would post to your Facebook account. I probably have my address saved somewhere, but I never used that capability.

And it wouldn't be useless if you enabled your Facebook posts to go to Twitter. Tweets automatically being posted to Facebook was eliminated. The opposite -- your Facebook posts going to Twitter -- is still active. I would have to research how to do that, but I have it set up on my work Facebook page. Anything over Twitter's character count is truncated on Twitter with a link to the FB post. I also help set that functionality up on some of my colleagues' accounts so that when they post to Facebook, it automatically goes to Twitter. I know it works for pages, but I'm pretty sure it will also work for an individual account.

You would just have to get used to posting on FB and not Twitter, as it sounds like previously you tweeted first and had that post to FB.

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 12, 2018, 04:11:50 PM
http://bfy.tw/JNeT

I think he's asking for us to share our experiences and knowledge, if we have any. Tim's perfectly capable of Googling something, but he wants to know if any of us are using anything.

bandit957

It's not just my account. My friends are also now unable to post to Facebook with SMS.

abefroman329

They probably disabled that feature because you and your friends were the only ones still using it. You should reach out to FB and tell them your story and ask them if they have any ideas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.