News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on January 31, 2020, 10:08:31 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 31, 2020, 05:25:11 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 31, 2020, 10:12:53 AM
8200 = Deaths due to influenza in the USA alone since September 29, as of last week.
213 = Deaths due to the Wuhan coronavirus worldwide since December 1, as of today.

Forgive me if I'm not panicking.

I was going to add in the numbers of cases of each to give some more context, but that information proved to not be a quick and easy find. Needless to say, it becomes more worrisome when you consider the ratio of cases to deaths.
On ABC News tonight they quoted 9700 cases and 213 deaths, at least in China.  That's a 2.2% death rate for those infected.

I'm pretty sure less than 2.2% of people that get the flu die from it. Maybe 2.2% of those over 80 or something, but certainly not the population at large.

US 89

According to the CDC's calculations, the mortality rate for influenza is 0.13%, or around 1 in 769 people. A 2.2% death rate means on average, 1 out of every 45 people who get coronavirus die from it. The reason more people have died from influenza is that far more people get it in the first place.

Put it this way: if those numbers are right, the coronavirus is 17 times deadlier than the flu.

kevinb1994

Apparently there is a confirmed case of a UMass student with the coronavirus, which I got word of when I turned on
the TV to CNN or whatever cable news channel I was watching about forty-five minutes ago.

US71

Quote from: US 89 on February 01, 2020, 04:58:21 PM
According to the CDC's calculations, the mortality rate for influenza is 0.13%, or around 1 in 769 people. A 2.2% death rate means on average, 1 out of every 45 people who get coronavirus die from it. The reason more people have died from influenza is that far more people get it in the first place.

Put it this way: if those numbers are right, the coronavirus is 17 times deadlier than the flu.

The news seems to be playing it down saying the flu is worse.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on February 01, 2020, 09:18:07 PM

That's what I was about to get to next, the cable news channels are obviously the worst offenders of this.

kevinb1994

There are reports of the first Filipino death from the coronavirus in the Philippines tonight.
Thus, the death toll has risen to the unfortunate number of 305 (it was 304 just before this–another unfortunate number). You can guess the pitfalls from this.

Rothman

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 01, 2020, 09:15:57 PM
Apparently there is a confirmed case of a UMass student with the coronavirus, which I got word of when I turned on
the TV to CNN or whatever cable news channel I was watching about forty-five minutes ago.
UMass Amherst?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Rothman on February 02, 2020, 12:43:57 AM
UMass Amherst?
Actually, it was a UMass Boston student. You know, the one affiliated with a notable political family of which has their two notable sons names' on a airport in NYC and a sports venue in DC.

Rothman

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 02, 2020, 12:46:50 AM
UMass Amherst?
Actually, it was a UMass Boston student. You know, the one affiliated with a notable political family of which has their two notable sons names' on a airports in NYC and a sports venue in DC.
Huh.  UMass Boston mainly a commuter school.  UMass Amherst is considered the flagship campus.

Wonder how the virus got in there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Rothman on February 02, 2020, 12:48:05 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 02, 2020, 12:46:50 AM
UMass Amherst?
Actually, it was a UMass Boston student. You know, the one affiliated with a notable political family of which has their two notable sons names' on a airports in NYC and a sports venue in DC.
Huh.  UMass Boston mainly a commuter school.  UMass Amherst is considered the flagship campus.

Wonder how the virus got in there.
It's definitely not far from Boston's Logan Airport and that's because of the MBTA network!

bing101

hotdogPi

So there are 9 cases in the US. Looking at where they are, it passes the randomness test for "choose 9 random people in the US" with two exceptions: Santa Clara is unlikely to have two by chance alone, and there's a bias toward cities.

By the way, the virus seeks out targets who spread conspiracy theories about it.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

US71

Quote from: 1 on February 02, 2020, 09:41:03 PM
So there are 9 cases in the US. Looking at where they are, it passes the randomness test for "choose 9 random people in the US" with two exceptions: Santa Clara is unlikely to have two by chance alone, and there's a bias toward cities.

By the way, the virus seeks out targets who spread conspiracy theories about it.

ClassicHasClass

QuoteCoronavirus victims.

They certainly have higher risk of having been exposed -- hence the quarantine -- but none of the people (at least at the Riverside location) have nCoV so far, and the majority of the people who enter these other quarantines will probably not have it either.

kphoger

I was going to add in the numbers of cases of each to give some more context, but that information proved to not be a quick and easy find. Needless to say, it becomes more worrisome when you consider the ratio of cases to deaths.

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 01, 2020, 09:19:40 PM

That's what I was about to get to next, the cable news channels are obviously the worst offenders of this.

This just makes me even less worried about the coronavirus.  So many more people die from the flu than from the coronavirus, as I pointed out (and the news keeps pointing out too).  Well, if the coronavirus is so much more contagious than the flu, then that just means so-o-o-o so-o-o-o so-o-o-o SO-O-O-O many more people get the flu than get the cornoavirus to begin with.  Your chances are that much smaller of contracting the coronavirus than the comparative number of deaths makes it first appear.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on February 03, 2020, 01:31:31 PM

This just makes me even less worried about the coronavirus.  So many more people die from the flu than from the coronavirus, as I pointed out (and the news keeps pointing out too).  Well, if the coronavirus is so much more contagious than the flu, then that just means so-o-o-o so-o-o-o so-o-o-o SO-O-O-O many more people get the flu than get the cornoavirus to begin with.  Your chances are that much smaller of contracting the coronavirus than the comparative number of deaths makes it first appear.
No shit, Sherlock.

US71

FWIW, it's not a bad idea to take a few simple precautions. DON'T PANIC :P  :p ,  just take some minor precautions.

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on February 03, 2020, 01:39:25 PM
FWIW, it's not a bad idea to take a few simple precautions. DON'T PANIC :P  :p ,  just take some minor precautions.

Like...  uh...  hmmmm... OK, I give up, what minor precautions should I take that everyone doesn't already suggest for preventing any illness?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

There are now two cases in the same spot of rural California. However, I would expect a contagion with 11 cases to be like this:

7 Los Angeles
4 Chicago
Nowhere else

Not this:

2 Los Angeles (in different parts of the metro area, so unrelated)
2 rural California, same spot
2 Santa Clara
2 Chicago
1 Boston
1 suburb of Phoenix
1 Seattle

This looks like random points on a map, although it's a bit less the case than before with the same rural area getting 2. Does anyone know if the locations with two known cases are people who travel together?

Also, "coronavirus" is a description, not the name of the virus. While it's okay for now (the terminology, not the virus itself!), it might cause confusion in the future if there's another outbreak caused by a completely different coronavirus.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on February 03, 2020, 01:51:03 PM
Also, "coronavirus" is a description, not the name of the virus. While it's okay for now (the terminology, not the virus itself!), it might cause confusion in the future if there's another outbreak caused by a completely different coronavirus.

That's true of the flu, too.
Male pronouns, please.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on February 03, 2020, 01:58:53 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 03, 2020, 01:51:03 PM

That's true of the flu, too.
Best rhyme of the day IMO.

adventurernumber1

I think the point is that in the case you get the coronavirus, it statistically seems to be more deadly than the flu (proportionately, not in absolute numbers). As the outbreak is right now, obviously the chances of getting coronavirus are extraordinarily low. But the concern is the incredibly rapid spread of the virus, and if one gets the coronavirus, the prognosis sounds to be more deadly than that of the flu–but I think what is true in the case of both viruses is that most of the mortality is in elderly people who have weaker immune systems.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

webny99

I'm not trying to make you worry about the coronavirus. I'm just saying, if you did come down with it, then you should be worried. Much more worried than if you came down with the flu.

So, basically:
Flu: high chance of catching, low chance of it being fatal.
Coronavirus: low chance of catching, high chance of it being fatal.

What's more worrisome?
Take your pick, but I'll go with the coronavirus. I'm confident enough in my ability to fight the flu.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 03, 2020, 03:34:55 PM
What's more worrisome?

The one I actually have a statistically significant chance of contracting.

Your chance of surviving a gun shot to the head is even lower (5%), but I'm even less worried about getting shot in the head than I am of contracting the coronavirus–despite the fact that around 20,000 people in the USA die from a gun shot to the head every year.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.