News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

'The Joker's Wild'

Started by bandit957, June 29, 2020, 10:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade

The Money Maze and The Big Showdown from the late 70s on ABC.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: allniter89 on July 01, 2020, 10:05:12 PM
Its funny now that the big prize is a Chevette & Vega.
Did it include a free tow of your big prize to the repair shop?

Big John

Quote from: renegade on July 02, 2020, 02:31:32 AM
The Money Maze and The Big Showdown from the late 70s on ABC.
They were mid-70s.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrGFJtMzvx8
Go to :57 for the big fall down.

In_Correct

Musical Chairs ... a game show that will not be rebroadcast even if it still exists. It is before Star Words, and before the 1990 version of To Tell The Truth.

Name That Tune ... a partially talent based game show where contestants guess the title.

The Gong Show ... a talent show where the contestants are performing and the panel rejects them by striking a gong. The set design is supposed to be exotic, and not much different from Wheel Of Fortune's atmosphere of that time period.

Starcade ... the answer to computer games replacing game shows.

Star Words ... Only one or two pilot episodes of a game show. It is interesting attempt.

How Do You Like Your Eggs? ... This is another concept game show developed in the early days of Cable Television. They had interactive remote control from a provider QUBE. One of the programmes is a game show hosted by Bill Cullen.

Supermarket Sweep ... This game show seemed fun, but it is basically one big commercial. The theme music and sound effects are some what cheerful, but extremely electronic and outdated. (I resented when they had electronic music and electronic sound effects for the 1980s version of Jeopardy!, still preferring the mechanical sounds and orchestra from the "All-New" version.)

Bullseye ... I did not give this game show its own mention yet. This game show was around the same time period of that version of Jeopardy! that I wished aired much longer as well as every episode could be preserved. I still like the "Rubik's Cube" set design with the glowing flip cards positioned behind the game board windows. Despite not being a computer screen or even a rear projection screen, the blue screen looks just like a V.C.R. Blue Screen or a Computer Error Blue Screen. While blue is a good colour, it is not recommended on a screen. White (the usual game board colour) is better ... White resembles Marker Boards or in this case it resembles Smart Boards. But they did not preserve this version; now we rely on home recordings.

Some thing interesting about The Joker's Wild, by Jack Barry and Dan Enright, were enraged after being told that the network (C.B.S. in this case) lost the the episodes of The Joker's Wild. As a result they preferred to syndicate their programmes later in an attempt to keep the episodes safe. This is the opposite of what happened to game shows from other producers such as Califon Enterprises (Jeopardy ... with a very tacky set design in the mid 1970s and earlier ... was only syndicated weekly for one year ... by Metro Media ... also a T.V. Network ... and of course very little information ever can be find about any programme from Metro Media. Perhaps I will have to look at TV Guides to see what they aired.) and even Goodson - Todman usually had Network game shows.

And these other game shows ended up having a network version as well as a syndicated version, and eventually every episode was preserved. Also, the CBS version of The Joker's Wild was eventually found.

But the Barry - Enright main source of distribution was first run syndication ever since. After seeing yet another game show (All-New Jeopardy!) not be properly preserved, fortunately Barry - Enright preferred syndication of Bullseye.

This Bullseye game show was designed similar to one of the sets of The Joker's Wild ... The Million Dollar version ... the numbers that they used on The Joker's Wild has blue neon running lights (I still want to know when this debut around the slot machine.) The game board of Bullseye has three rear projection screens that could land on bullseyes arranged around a giant star. Around it is a thin circle or ring that has the blue neon running lights. On each side of the stage they had rows of smaller stars as well as many other high quality lights and decorations. They had a similar action packed opening theme music as All-New Jeopardy! ... but Bullseye's title sequence had animation with lightning and thunder.

Unfortunately this game show, while can be easily watched, did not last much longer than All - New Jeopardy! ... be cause of a switch (not a spin off, a switch) to "Celebrity". It is too bad, be cause Bullseye looks exciting and very fun to play.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Takumi

QuoteMusical Chairs ... a game show that will not be rebroadcast even if it still exists.
Care to elaborate on why? Was it full of content that would be considered politically incorrect now, or was it just bad?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Big John

Quote from: Takumi on July 02, 2020, 05:58:51 PM
QuoteMusical Chairs ... a game show that will not be rebroadcast even if it still exists.
Care to elaborate on why? Was it full of content that would be considered politically incorrect now, or was it just bad?
It could involve race.  Adam Wade hosted it and he was the first African American to host a game show.

Mr. Matté

Most likely due to music clearances, same reasoning behind Name that Tune and a lot of Gong Show episodes not aired on GSN. Three episodes made it to the Internets: One that circulated among game show tape traders for a long time (here) and two other episodes recorded by one of the contestants: (1, 2)

And since it was mentioned upthread, Money Maze for the longest time had none of the aired episodes out in the open (the pilot has been circulating for a while and there's an episode taped by Andy Warhol in a television museum in New York) but recently a full episode from the aired series was posted: link

Scott5114

The 70's Match Game was taped in CBS Television City studio 33, the same studio The Price Is Right taped in (and still does to this day). However, because TPIR required far more elaborate set pieces than Match Game, the latter show was scheduled to use the studio over the weekend, while TPIR used it during the week. That meant that Match Game had to shotgun a week's worth of shows over the course of two days.

Which meant it was such a hellish experience that the celebrities took to drinking to get through it all.

Which explains a whole hell of a lot about Match Game.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

According to Wikipedia:
QuoteExcept for the 30th Anniversary Special, which was taped at Harrah's Rio in Las Vegas, Nevada, The Price Is Right has been taped in Studio 33 in CBS Television City in Los Angeles, California for its entire run.[42] The studio, which is also used for other television productions, was renamed the Bob Barker Studio in the host's honor on the ceremonial 5,000th episode taped in March 1998.[43] When Carey became host, there was talk of the show traveling in the future.[24] The program is usually produced in about an hour, although if there is a guest involved, some tapings will last longer because of question and answer sessions by the audience and the guest, which the host usually moderates.[44] Two episodes are usually taped each day, normally with three taping days per week (Monday through Wednesday, with one episode taped at 12:00 p.m. and another at 4:00 p.m.).
TPIR is taped 3 times a week.  I don't know if that was always the case.

Match Game was another animal: https://oldtvtickets.com/2006/01/match-game-the-1973-1982/
QuoteEpisodes were taped in long blocks to accomodate Gene Rayburn, who commuted from a home on the East Coast. Sometimes, they'd tape six days a week, five shows a day, for two or three weeks at a stretch. That sometimes made it difficult to secure enough of an audience to fill all the seats.Jan 15, 2006

Match Game, The (1973-1982) | Old TV Tickets
Which would make the panel even more drunk.

Takumi

Quote from: Big John on July 02, 2020, 08:15:42 PM
It could involve race.  Adam Wade hosted it and he was the first African American to host a game show.
I think that would make it more likely to air nowadays, not less, although that may have not been the case in decades past. Mr. Matte’s explanation of copyright issues is probably the most plausible.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bandit957 on June 29, 2020, 10:58:06 PM
Anyone else remember this game show? I actually used to watch this each evening when I was growing up in the early '80s, when it was hosted by the late Jack Barry. I remember when it moved from Channel 9 to Channel 5.
I remember watching it during the 70s on non-school days.  On CBS, Channel 7 in the Boston area at the time, aired this show, followed by The Price is Right (Bob Barker/half-hour edition) and Gambit w/Wink Martindale circa 1972-1974(?).

In the earlier seasons, the winning contestant would just spin/pull lever to see how many times they could get 3-Jokers without the devil appearing to earn additional money & prizes.  Later on, that round would be replaced with one that would feature various money amounts & the devil.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

thenetwork

The Jokers Wild was unique as its individual games had 4 decent categories and 1 category that you hoped you were never stuck with...

"Joker....JOKER...Famous Indonesians."

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: In_Correct on July 01, 2020, 11:14:57 PM

I also want to know how the slot machine functioned. I would like to see photographs of the machinery used behind the rear projection screens.

If you can unearth a copy of The Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows, at least in the 1987 edition, they may have a picture of the Joker's Wild machinery, or some other game's back projection.  As best as I can remember, the technology centered around three ordinary slide projectors.

skquinn

The Joker's Wild and Tic Tac Dough... they just don't make game shows like them anymore.

And no, the TBS Snoop Dogg weed smokers' version of TJW doesn't count. Jack Barry is probably rolling over in his grave at the mere mention of it.

allniter89

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 02, 2020, 10:28:47 PM
The 70's Match Game was taped in CBS Television City studio 33, the same studio The Price Is Right taped in (and still does to this day). However, because TPIR required far more elaborate set pieces than Match Game, the latter show was scheduled to use the studio over the weekend, while TPIR used it during the week. That meant that Match Game had to shotgun a week's worth of shows over the course of two days.

Which meant it was such a hellish experience that the celebrities took to drinking to get through it all.

Which explains a whole hell of a lot about Match Game.
I'd read somewhere that during the dinner break they put away alot of wine and its obvious sometimes.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

CapeCodder

Quote from: US71 on June 30, 2020, 10:56:35 AM
I vaguely remember Jokers Wild. I remember Press Your Luck more....and Concentration with Hugh Downs.

My grandma was on Concentration.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.