News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Independence Day 2020

Started by webny99, July 02, 2020, 07:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Happy Holiday!

It's an interesting one between the pandemic, and the fact that it falls on a weekend instead of a weekday. Which day do you get off from work, if any?

I'm hoping to head south to the ocean for Sunday/Monday, some details still pending. Does anyone else have travel plans for the long weekend?

jeffandnicole

Most Monday-Friday work schedules have long established that a holiday on a Saturday is observed Friday, a holiday that falls on a Sunday is observed Monday. 

For those that normally work Saturday, they get overtime pay, that day off or another day suitable to the needs of the business.

At this point, I may travel about 1.1 miles to a local brewery that will open at 9am Saturday. Thats about the furthest travel plan I have.

Max Rockatansky

Observed on Friday for me but I could have taken an extra day off any day I wanted as a holiday.

Takumi

I'm working. Probably the safest place to be since nobody will be coming.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

nexus73

Oh heck, go watch the "Independence Day" movies and have fun at home!  I like how the humans in the second one have figured out the alien tech and are ready to put up a fight.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

SEWIGuy

For some reason, my workplace is giving us Monday off instead of tomorrow.  But I am taking tomorrow off anyway.

We have some friends visiting us but we are staying at home.  We have a pool and it's going to be hot.  Monday will be devoted to cleaning up, yardwork and napping.

kphoger

I'm off Friday for the holiday.

Considering how hot and dry it's been around here–1.18 inches precipitation total in the last five weeks, and zero precipitation in the last week with highs over 90° each day–I'm a little worried people are going to be lighting their lawns on fire with fireworks.

Someone involved with our church's youth group invited our son over for a pool party this evening.  We decided to decline the invitation, considering that the family extending the invitation is very vocal on social media slamming any and all COVID prevention measures, so we really shouldn't expect them to make any effort to maintain social distancing or anything like that during time spent indoors.  I wanted to reply to the text message invitation with "Sorry, but our family is limiting our interaction with conspiracy theorists during this time", but then my filter kicked in.  (Yes, I do have a filter.  I just ignore it a lot, to my own detriment.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ozarkman417

I wanted to go to the lake, but the swim beach is STILL closed due to high water, with no reopening in sight.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on July 02, 2020, 12:07:11 PMConsidering how hot and dry it's been around here–1.18 inches precipitation total in the last five weeks, and zero precipitation in the last week with highs over 90° each day–I'm a little worried people are going to be lighting their lawns on fire with fireworks.

I figure that if lawn grass fires didn't happen in 2011, when we had 52 days over 100° F with lower humidity since we were then in the middle of a drought, then they are probably not going to happen now.  But I gather there is a lot of concern about the combination of fireworks and hand sanitizer.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 02, 2020, 12:47:32 PM
But I gather there is a lot of concern about the combination of fireworks and hand sanitizer.

Is that a real thing?  Or is it like that fake news a while ago about bottles of hand sanitizer spontaneously combusting in your car?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Since I just went on a road trip last week, this will be a quieter four-day weekend. Suits me, since tomorrow I expect local roads to be jammed with traffic headed up north and cops to be everywhere.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on July 02, 2020, 01:36:01 PMIs that a real thing?  Or is it like that fake news a while ago about bottles of hand sanitizer spontaneously combusting in your car?

I don't know if burns due to combining fireworks and hand sanitizer have actually been observed, but the possibility has been attracting warnings from official bodies, including the National Safety Council and several city fire departments (1, 2).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SSOWorld

Just going to light a fire in the back yard.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

webny99

Today feels even more like a Friday than an actual Friday.
Sort of like how the Tuesday after a Monday holiday feels even more like a Monday than an actual Monday.

You can just feel the long weekend in the air.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on July 02, 2020, 04:05:21 PM
Today feels even more Fridayish than an actual Friday.
Sort of like how the Tuesday after a Monday holiday feels even more Mondayish than an actual Monday.

The longest hour in your life is the last hour of work before a holiday weekend.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on July 02, 2020, 04:06:41 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 02, 2020, 04:05:21 PM

The longest hour in your life is the last hour of work before a holiday weekend.

I think the last hour of school before a break or summer vacation is longer, but somehow more fun, too.

My long weekend isn't even starting at the official end of the work day, since it seems everyone suddenly decided I was UPS 2.0 this afternoon.

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 02, 2020, 07:42:34 AM
Most Monday-Friday work schedules have long established that a holiday on a Saturday is observed Friday, a holiday that falls on a Sunday is observed Monday. 

For those that normally work Saturday, they get overtime pay, that day off or another day suitable to the needs of the business.

At this point, I may travel about 1.1 miles to a local brewery that will open at 9am Saturday. Thats about the furthest travel plan I have.
Not the New York state workforce.  While the state does observe Sunday holidays on Monday, for Saturday holidays, there is no automatic long weekend - they just give everyone an extra day of leave, effective the date of the holiday.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

7/8

This week worked out well for me. I got Wednesday off for Canada Day since the City of Kitchener doesn't allow construction on the holiday, and I also have no field work tomorrow since the contractor has Friday off. I still have some office work to do tomorrow, but at least I'm out of the 30C heat for a day!

Henry

I'll be staying at home anyway, since there'll be no fireworks in Seattle this year.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kendancy66

I drove through Laguna Beach and Newport Beach.  On portable VMS signs they are reporting that Laguna Beach's beaches are closed on July 4, and no fireworks.  Also Newport Beach has portable VMS signs reporting that their beaches, are also closed on July 4th and July 5th

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Unless my brothers change their mind, and have the families share dinner together on Saturday; I'll be roadtripping around southern & eastern Ohio.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Scott5114

Have to work, not that I do anything special for July 4th, even if I have it off like I did last year.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 02, 2020, 03:31:37 PM
Just going to light a fire in the back yard.

And then when it's going really good, you throw that brick of firecrackers in it (so what if that's 'illegal' here in Wisconsin...).

:nod:

Mike

ErmineNotyours

The last time this happened, I didn't have a car, and I missed my chance to take regular transit buses to Bellingham, because they were running a regular weekday schedule.  I did this the next MLK Day, but the Spark Electricity Museum is closed on Mondays.

webny99

Happy Independence Day! It looks like a true summer scorcher here in the Northeast.
Having the holiday on the second (middle) day of a three-day weekend seems like the appropriate plot line - I actually wish holidays happened this way more often, instead of on a Monday or midweek.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.