News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ever have a car break down during a test drive?

Started by Takumi, July 02, 2020, 09:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

This didn't happen directly to me, but I was a passenger for it. My brother's roommate had been car shopping on and off for AWD turbo 4-cylinder cars over the past couple years. I went with him on a couple of test drives, most recently for a 2014 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. It was at a dealer near their apartment, so we met up there and went for the test drive. Almost immediately he knew something was wrong with the transmission, and when we got on the freeway we heard a massive clunk followed by a weird smell. As he slowed down and pulled over, the rear end completely seized, and the car just barely made it to the shoulder. We stood behind the guard rail while waiting for someone to pick us up. The car had less than 30,000 miles on it when it broke, and he ended up getting a MazdaSpeed 3, which doesn't have AWD.

Anyone else have a car break down like that during a test drive?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hotdogPi

I had the power steering stop working during my second class of driver's ed.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

When I was a little kid–young enough that I barely even remember it, so probably the mid- to late 1980s–my parents had a VW run out of gas in the middle of an intersection during a test drive.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

About five years ago I test-drove a Lexus LS I was considering getting as a hobby car.  It never actually stopped running, but a few blocks into the drive, the tachometer needle dropped to zero and stayed there until key-off.  I also jumped onto Kellogg and when I negotiated the long sweeping west-to-south ramp at the I-135 turban, the car kept wanting to pull to the side, requiring frequent input of corrections through the steering wheel.

If I had purchased the car, which I did not since I felt the owner was asking for too much (about $4500 for a car which I thought was barely worth $3000), I think I would have had to replace the shock absorbers (the LS has dual-wishbone suspension, so tracking is more affected by shock absorber wear than is the case with McPherson struts), and also disassemble the ECU and the instrument panel controller to replace leaking capacitors.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 02, 2020, 11:43:09 AM
It never actually stopped running, but a few blocks into the drive, the tachometer needle dropped to zero and stayed there until key-off.

Sounds like a sensor problem, maybe?

My wife and I were once driving I-57 south from Chicago to Herrin, and somewhere around Mount Vernon Effingham the speedometer needle went wacky, going back and forth between 0 and 100 and stuff.  When I pulled off the Interstate at the Whittington exit, the automatic transmission wouldn't up-shift past second gear, so we limped the next 26 miles home on shoulder-less two-lane roads without breaking 35 mph.  Turned out to be nothing but a bad O2 sensor, and stupid computer that decided to enter limp mode for something so harmless.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on July 02, 2020, 11:49:23 AM
It never actually stopped running, but a few blocks into the drive, the tachometer needle dropped to zero and stayed there until key-off.

In this case I don't think it was, since the engine and transmission continued to function normally.  Leaking capacitors in the ECU and IP controller are known problems in the first-generation LS and this type of tachometer malfunction is a classic symptom.

Lexus forums have instructions for repair that generally entail pulling the ECU and IP controller boxes, opening them, using a solder iron to take out the capacitors, and then soldering in replacements.  This is "brain surgery" since you are working directly on the circuit boards.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Takumi

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 02, 2020, 12:40:38 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 02, 2020, 11:49:23 AM

In this case I don't think it was, since the engine and transmission continued to function normally.  Leaking capacitors in the ECU and IP controller are known problems in the first-generation LS and this type of tachometer malfunction is a classic symptom.

Lexus forums have instructions for repair that generally entail pulling the ECU and IP controller boxes, opening them, using a solder iron to take out the capacitors, and then soldering in replacements.  This is "brain surgery" since you are working directly on the circuit boards.
My GS has had a couple vaguely similar issues. In the right side rear door, there's some kind of damaged sensor that causes the battery to drain. The previous owner's wife backed into the door and there's a pretty big dent in it. Since I still haven't found exactly where it is, and a shop wasn't able to fix it, I still leave the battery unhooked when I'm not going to drive the car for awhile. A couple times I forgot to unhook it and had to charge it overnight, and in one instance I accidentally briefly hooked it up backwards (it's a reverse post battery and I was tired), causing several fuses and relays to blow but no lasting damage. Before I had fixed all the fuses, the car would start, but no lights other than the courtesy lights in the doors would come on, and it wouldn't shift out of Park. During this, the fuel pump failed so after awhile it wouldn't start at all, but now it's fine.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman

Not a breakdown, but on a test drive in 2000, the car's fuel warning light came on before I even left the dealer's lot.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.