News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slorydn1

Quote from: RoadPelican on December 06, 2018, 11:50:14 AM
Question: Why is NC so strict with the 70 MPH Speed Limit?  I feel it's almost as bad as my old home state of Maryland!!  I was driving on I-73 in NW Guilford County yesterday (from PTI to US 220) and it is 100% rural, yet it's only 65 MPH.  The Monroe Bypass is 65 MPH yet it's also VERY rural.

I will say that the I-140 bypass around Wilmington used to be 65 MPH, but then around 2012 it was increased to 70 MPH.  So maybe NC has a habit of setting freeways at 65 and then 5-10 years later, set them at 70 MPH?

Also, most of I-40 from Asheville to Durham is also 65, yet I think 70 would be okay, except for the short urban areas of Statesville, W/S & Greensboro.

Should they really sign these roads at 65 MPH? or is this just collusion between NCDOT and local Sheriff's Depts to get more revenue?, if most people drive 80+ we can get more $ for 80 in a 65 than we would if they were only going 80 in a 70 MPH zone.

I am not sure why some areas are only 65 wile others are 70. I would guess that NCDOT doesn't feel like the roads with 65 mph speed limits are up to standard.
It certainly isn't because of the highlighted part above. Anything more than 15 mph over the limit or anything over 80 MPH are both Class 3 Misdemeanor offenses rather than simple traffic infractions and carry the same fines/penalties {NCGS 20-141(j1)} 
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Roadsguy

Here in PA, the Turnpike is 70 mph almost in its entirety. By that standard, almost every suburban and rural freeway in NC should be 70 or higher.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

seicer

Yeah, but the vast majority of freeways in Pennsylvania are 65 MPH and frustratingly 55 MPH just because you happen to be near any populated area.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 17, 2018, 09:12:45 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on December 17, 2018, 09:02:43 PM
The document to assign I-285 is from 2/1/18 and does NOT mention the truncation of I-85 Business on its overlap - https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2018_02_01.pdf

Was this something that people were expecting to happen? It seems silly if the southern section is to remain Business 85, since they'd probably sign "To Business 85" at the southern end of I-285 anyway.

Upthread it was noted that 285 shields were replacing 85 Bus shields so I made it a point to document it doesn't mean 85 Bus is being removed.

Beltway

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 18, 2018, 12:30:18 AM
Here in PA, the Turnpike is 70 mph almost in its entirety. By that standard, almost every suburban and rural freeway in NC should be 70 or higher.

The last thing needed is to utilize the PA Turnpike as any kind of standard of how freeways should be designed and operated.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadsguy

Quote from: Beltway on December 18, 2018, 06:40:54 AM

The last thing needed is to utilize the PA Turnpike as any kind of standard of how freeways should be designed and operated.

My point is that the majority of the PA Turnpike can easily be safely driven at 80 mph. Traffic flow around the Philadelphia area (though this part is straighter) can exceed 85 at times. I'm not saying the Turnpike is a model of good standards or that I-40 and Business 85 US 29/70 through Greensboro should be posted 70. :P
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Beltway

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 18, 2018, 10:39:36 AM
Quote from: Beltway on December 18, 2018, 06:40:54 AM
My point is that the majority of the PA Turnpike can easily be safely driven at 80 mph. Traffic flow around the Philadelphia area (though this part is straighter) can exceed 85 at times. I'm not saying the Turnpike is a model of good standards or that I-40 and Business 85 US 29/70 through Greensboro should be posted 70. :P

Speedaholics make all kinds of claims about how fast they can drive safely.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

WashuOtaku

The document to assign I-285 is from 2/1/18 and does NOT mention the truncation of I-85 Business on its overlap - https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2018_02_01.pdf

Was this something that people were expecting to happen? It seems silly if the southern section is to remain Business 85, since they'd probably sign "To Business 85" at the southern end of I-285 anyway.

Also, when are the Business 85 shields expected to be removed?

The Interstate Business routes have been downgraded for some time now. Since I-85 was widen between Salisbury and Lexington, they purposely kept I-85 Business off the overhead signs and gave it one measly side sign saying it's also there. With I-40 Business being phased out in two years and now the north section of I-85 Business being removed, it is only a matter of time before the rest of I-85 Business is removed and maybe even remove I-95 Business... thus eliminating them all.

I suspect signage will change in the coming months. The real question is which US Highway, US 29 or US 70, will become the mainline for the freeway stretch between I-85 and I-40 in Greensboro.

Beltway

Quote from: WashuOtaku on December 18, 2018, 12:12:13 PM
The Interstate Business routes have been downgraded for some time now. Since I-85 was widen between Salisbury and Lexington, they purposely kept I-85 Business off the overhead signs and gave it one measly side sign saying it's also there. With I-40 Business being phased out in two years and now the north section of I-85 Business being removed, it is only a matter of time before the rest of I-85 Business is removed and maybe even remove I-95 Business... thus eliminating them all.

That would be fine with me.  Nowadays I don't really see the need for Interstate Business Routes.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

NE2

I suspect signage will change in the coming months. The real question is which US Highway, US 29 or US 70, will become the mainline for the freeway stretch between I-85 and I-40 in Greensboro.
Why would either be moved off the mainline?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ccurley100

Also, when are the Business 85 shields expected to be removed?

US 29 if I had to guess since it already has exit numbers between Greensboro and Danville. I realize 70 does as well but you don't see them until you get to Durham.

iPhone

WashuOtaku

Quote from: NE2 on December 18, 2018, 12:34:11 PM

You misunderstood, which of the US Highways will be used for mile markers and exits. You see this all over when two or more routes on the same road, only one gets to be priority.

Roadsguy

Quote from: WashuOtaku on December 18, 2018, 05:08:39 PM

You misunderstood, which of the US Highways will be used for mile markers and exits. You see this all over when two or more routes on the same road, only one gets to be priority.

If NCDOT operates like PennDOT in this regard, it will be US 29. Is 29 used as the primary route on the expressway between I-40 and Wendover Avenue?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 18, 2018, 05:14:22 PM

If NCDOT operates like PennDOT in this regard, it will be US 29. Is 29 used as the primary route on the expressway between I-40 and Wendover Avenue?

That stretch of road needs a signage update, because currently there is no identified primary route (i.e. no mile markers/exit numbers).  :-/

Strider

US 29 will be the priority, so the exit numbers will follow US 29's mileage.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on December 18, 2018, 05:48:24 PM

Based on the US 29 mileage listed in Wikipedia, these could be the new exit numbers, south to north:
I-85/I-73/US 421 North (SB)        123
Holden Road                                124
US 220                                       125A/B
Rehobeth Ch Rd/Vandalia Rd        125C

US 29 currently has no exit numbers from I-40 to I-785 (135) and then beyond Hicone Rd (136) to Bus. 29 in Reidsville (149).

ccurley100

Quote from: bob7374 on December 18, 2018, 09:44:28 PM
Quote from: Strider on December 18, 2018, 05:48:24 PM

Based on the US 29 mileage listed in Wikipedia, these could be the new exit numbers, south to north:
I-85/I-73/US 421 North (SB)        123
Holden Road                                124
US 220                                       125A/B
Rehobeth Ch Rd/Vandalia Rd        125C

US 29 currently has no exit numbers from I-40 to I-785 (135) and then beyond Hicone Rd (136) to Bus. 29 in Reidsville (149).
They'd only be 3 off from the original numbers

iPhone

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

architect77

PLEASE JOIN ME IN CONTACTING NCDOT REGARDING THESE TWO ISSUES:

1) Once excellent quality standards are in decline. Raleigh's Fortify project has sloppy overhead signs that are already starting to sag (cantilevered Lake Wheeler overhead that yellow "exit only" switches border color making it look patched.) I know this is the federal standard but matching white border looks better and is accepted.

The Beltline overheads are faded and need replacing but if they're going to be sloppy, I'd rather keep the faded perfect-quality ones.

2) Request more signal upgrades using mast-arm poles. NCDOT manages most signals even in cities. They defended one mast-arm replacement in Raleigh's five-points neighborhood so hard, that it's apparent that mast-arm poles are seen as an indulgent use of funds.

Meanwhile every other state is aggressively installing mast-arm poles, and Raleigh will soon be sagging-wire signal capital of the world. They look horrible and sloppy.

bob7374

Quote from: architect77 on December 27, 2018, 10:01:12 PM

1) Once excellent quality standards are in decline. Raleigh's Fortify project has sloppy overhead signs that are already starting to sag (cantilevered Lake Wheeler overhead that yellow "exit only" switches border color making it look patched.) I know this is the federal standard but matching white border looks better and is accepted.

The Beltline overheads are faded and need replacing but if they're going to be sloppy, I'd rather keep the faded perfect-quality ones.

2) Request more signal upgrades using mast-arm poles. NCDOT manages most signals even in cities. They defended one mast-arm replacement in Raleigh's five-points neighborhood so hard, that it's apparent that mast-arm poles are seen as an indulgent use of funds.

Meanwhile every other state is aggressively installing mast-arm poles, and Raleigh will soon be sagging-wire signal capital of the world. They look horrible and sloppy.

The signs along the Fortify Project were, it seems, somewhat of an afterthought. Most were replaced in kind, even though some were outdated (such as the signage for South Saunders Street North which doesn't have references to US 70/US 401/NC 50 since the prior signs did not have them either). They also decided to put up signs for the I-440 exit eastbound without I-87 shields because they were designed prior to that designation, they are to be replaced again by next summer. 

LM117

According to this tidbit in the Rocky Mount Telegram, NCDOT is planning to rebuild the Gold Rock interchange (Exit 145) on I-95.

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/News/2018/12/28/Local-man-keeps-state-board-seat.html

QuoteThe Twin Counties is set to receive more than $300 million in projects, including the recently opened Sunset Avenue Bridge; widening of Wesleyan Boulevard in front of the mall; four lane expansion from Sunset Avenue into Nashville, which is a combination of three projects; work to make U.S. 64 meet Interstate 87 standards; widening Red Oak Road to four lanes; Widening of N.C. 4 to get ready for the big trucks that will be used by the CSX terminal; a complete redo of the entire Gold Rock interchange on I-95; and a double loop to Sunset Avenue and Interstate 95.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

architect77

Quote from: bob7374 on December 27, 2018, 11:04:41 PM
Quote from: architect77 on December 27, 2018, 10:01:12 PM

The signs along the Fortify Project were, it seems, somewhat of an afterthought. Most were replaced in kind, even though some were outdated (such as the signage for South Saunders Street North which doesn't have references to US 70/US 401/NC 50 since the prior signs did not have them either). They also decided to put up signs for the I-440 exit eastbound without I-87 shields because they were designed prior to that designation, they are to be replaced again by next summer. 

Please contact them on their website.

I feel like some transplants are in charge of NCDOT now, and they don't prioritize high standards which NC has been known for.

They haven't replied to my multi-issue email from 3 months ago, formerly I'd get prompt reply.

ARMOURERERIC

Is there a way to find out if a contract is in default?  It's seems the progress for paving I 40 from exit 119 to exit 94 has gone horribly off schedule.

bob7374

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on December 29, 2018, 09:44:06 PM
Is there a way to find out if a contract is in default?  It's seems the progress for paving I 40 from exit 119 to exit 94 has gone horribly off schedule.
If you're talking about Contract No. 204056, paving along I-40 from MM 32.95 to MM 119.13, the NCDOT Construction Progress Report lists it as behind its projected completion rate (39% vs. 48% as of Dec. 15) and that the project currently has a cost overrun of 1.8%. The completion date has been changed from July 1 to Nov. 15, 2020.

ARMOURERERIC

Strange because they ground downtown the 1950's slabs back in June, but paving has been spotty since with only the westbound lanes from 119 to 105 completed.  New logo signage and the new sheilded mileposts are up, but I was hoping for new BGS's as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.