News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Former US 101 and CA 152 in Gilroy

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 03, 2021, 05:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I had a look into the alignment history of US Route 101 and California State Route 152 in Gilroy.  Gilroy had a really stable alignment history which originally had US Route 101/Legislative Route 2 on Monterey Street and California State Route 152 multiplexing it from Old Gilroy Street north to 1st Street.  Interestingly Legislative Route 2 on Monterey Street was first paved with concrete in 1914 and covered by an expanded surface by 1921.  This led to a situation where Monterey Street had an hump in the middle which carried a substandard grade for US 101/CA 152, this wasn't corrected until 1955.  A finalized plan to bypass Gilroy via a freeway was adopted in 1961 but wasn't completed until 1972.  Both US 101 and CA 152 both utilize the modern freeway bypass but the latter still uses a small segment of Monterey Street between Leavesley Road and 1st Street to continue towards Hecker Pass.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/02/former-us-route-101-and-california.html

GaryA

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 03, 2021, 05:58:51 PM
I had a look into the alignment history of US Route 101 and California State Route 152 in Gilroy.  Gilroy had a really stable alignment history which originally had US Route 101/Legislative Route 2 on Monterey Street and California State Route 152 multiplexing it from 10th Street north to 1st Street.  Interestingly Legislative Route 2 on Monterey Street was first paved with concrete in 1914 and covered by an expanded surface by 1921.  This led to a situation where Monterey Street had an hump in the middle which carried a substandard grade for US 101/CA 152, this wasn't corrected until 1955.  A finalized plan to bypass Gilroy via a freeway was adopted in 1961 but wasn't completed until 1972.  Both US 101 and CA 152 both utilize the modern freeway bypass but the latter still uses a small segment of Monterey Street between Leavesley Road and 1st Street to continue towards Hecker Pass.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/02/former-us-route-101-and-california.html

Would 152 ever have used "Old Gilroy St" instead of 10th St in Gilroy?  It looks plausible that Pacheco Pass Hwy would flow into Old Gilroy St (and then to Hornlein Ct, presumably created when the railroad crossing was moved/closed) to Monterey Rd.  That also looks to me like a better fit to the 1935 map.

Of course, that could have been a change that happened before 152 was defined, or just my imagination.

("Old Gilroy St" would not be the older version of "Gilroy St", but the connector between Gilroy and Old Gilroy.)

Max Rockatansky

Looks like it might be having a closer look at the 1935 Division of Highways Map.  I'll have an answer for you shortly, good thing these blogs are easy to edit.

Max Rockatansky

Confirmed 152 stayed on Old Gilroy Road until the freeway opened.  I'll be doing a quick edit to make sure it's right in the blog. 

Edit:  Finish said update just now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.