News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Actually SR 27 went all the way into the Everglades National Park.  What is now that four digit state route leading to the park was SR 27.

That could have been SR 27 continuation of US 27 like MA 3 is the continuation of US 3 south of Cambridge.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

emory

Quick photo of the construction happening on SR 710 south of Indiantown.

roadman65

The Beeline Highway.  Yes it was under construction 2 years ago too when I clinched it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2018, 11:03:02 PM
Actually SR 27 went all the way into the Everglades National Park.  What is now that four digit state route leading to the park was SR 27.

That could have been SR 27 continuation of US 27 like MA 3 is the continuation of US 3 south of Cambridge.

Don't forget that FL 27 didn't always connect to US 27.  Krome Avenue used to end at US 41/Tamiami Trail which made the numbering of FL 27 make more sense since it was technically west of the southern terminus of FL 25 (US 27).  The alignment of FL 27 can be seen on the 1956 and 1951 state highway maps below.  Interestingly the 1951 map shows FL 27 ending at Cape Sable.

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~212056~5500200:Shell-Highway-Map-of-Florida-?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:florida%2Bhighway;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=9&trs=12

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~212025~5500185:Shell-Highway-Map-Southeastern-Sect?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:florida%2Bhighway;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=8&trs=12

roadman65

Never thought about that one as most N-S odd numbered routes are on different parts of the state.  SR 23 is up in Jacksonville and a second generation as the original FL 23 was with FL 121.  Now its the planned outer beltway that .will connect I-10 with I-95 and toll SR 16 across the St. Johns River, a road that was free for decades.

Sheryl Crowe

emory

Because in South Florida everything needs an Express Lane, here's a peek at the under construction SR 826/Palmetto Expressway Express Lanes.

The HEFT segment of the Turnpike also has Express Lanes in the works on the south end, which is bizarre. The Turnpike is one big express lane, so now they're tacking toll roads onto toll roads.

emory

Time lapse of Krome Avenue (starting on US 27 at SR 820), which is not far off from being a four lane expressway from US 27 to US 41. I'd love it if they turned US 41 and SR 94 into interchanges but that's not in the plans sadly.

https://my.mixtape.moe/uhzvqs.mp4

All SR 997 signs south of Campbell Road have been removed. Where the shields were on US 1 are now simply green signs saying "KROME AVE," following the tradition of Miami-Dade County to not sign any county highways.

roadman65

Quote from: emory on April 27, 2018, 09:52:20 PM
Because in South Florida everything needs an Express Lane, here's a peek at the under construction SR 826/Palmetto Expressway Express Lanes.

The HEFT segment of the Turnpike also has Express Lanes in the works on the south end, which is bizarre. The Turnpike is one big express lane, so now they're tacking toll roads onto toll roads.
Welcome To Florida!  "Open For Business" as it says on US 231 entering our fine state!  Any of our improved toll roads are the business for us drivers to conduct at. :D

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Does anyone know what year the current Orange Heights SR 26 bypass was completed.  I see the old signs are still on US 301 showing the old alignment through the town as SR 26 proper?  Wikipedia states its still under construction as we read it, and GSV shows it completed as the camera was there in 2013.  So I assume by the appearance of the bridge over both 301 and the CSX line, that it cannot be more than 10 years old at the most.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2018, 06:15:23 PM
Does anyone know what year the current Orange Heights SR 26 bypass was completed.  I see the old signs are still on US 301 showing the old alignment through the town as SR 26 proper?  Wikipedia states its still under construction as we read it, and GSV shows it completed as the camera was there in 2013.  So I assume by the appearance of the bridge over both 301 and the CSX line, that it cannot be more than 10 years old at the most.
http://www.gainesville.com/news/20110120/new-us-301-overpass-is-speedier-with-a-few-hitches
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

VTGoose

Quote from: NE2 on May 19, 2018, 11:41:10 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2018, 06:15:23 PM
http://www.gainesville.com/news/20110120/new-us-301-overpass-is-speedier-with-a-few-hitches

Interesting how the reporter felt the need to mention the "adult media store" as one of the businesses at that intersection (which is still there seven years later). Wonder why Cindy (the reporter) didn't get a comment from management or the customers about how the bypass was affecting the them and the store?  :-D

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

emory

Palm Beach SLDs have been updated: http://www2.dot.state.fl.us/Straight-linesOnlineGIS/blank.aspx?docId=102954

1. SR 850 is off the books
2. SR 7 north of Okeechobee Blvd is now on the SHS.
3. SR 845 now ends at the county line.

emory

http://www2.dot.state.fl.us/Straight-linesOnlineGIS/blank.aspx?docId=106142

I wish I had checked the Hillsborough County sheet before I took a trip to Florida last month, but it appears SR 585 has been deleted.

RoadPelican

I just drove from Vero Beach to Southeast Georgia via I-95 and I am pleased to report that the widening projects in Indian River and Volusia Counties are now finished.  That means that I-95 is now at least 6 lanes wide from the SC/GA border all the way until the end of I-95 south in Miami.

bigdave

Quote from: RoadPelican on May 31, 2018, 06:10:09 AM
I just drove from Vero Beach to Southeast Georgia via I-95 and I am pleased to report that the widening projects in Indian River and Volusia Counties are now finished.  That means that I-95 is now at least 6 lanes wide from the SC/GA border all the way until the end of I-95 south in Miami.

Nicely done, now time to step it up on I-75.  :biggrin:

vdeane

They might be.  I don't recall any narrower sections of I-75 outside of work zones and Alligator Alley.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jdb1234

Quote from: vdeane on May 31, 2018, 01:19:31 PM
They might be.  I don't recall any narrower sections of I-75 outside of work zones and Alligator Alley.

When I last drove to Marco Island, all of I-75 was 6 lanes or under construction to be widened to 6 lanes all the way down to Exit 101.

bigdave

Quote from: jdb1234 on May 31, 2018, 02:10:14 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 31, 2018, 01:19:31 PM

When I last drove to Marco Island, all of I-75 was 6 lanes or under construction to be widened to 6 lanes all the way down to Exit 101.

You guys are right, I stand corrected.

http://www.winknews.com/2017/08/01/work-set-to-start-this-year-on-charlotte-county-i-75-widening/

Kudos to FL and GA!

D-Dey65

I finally contacted FDOT face to face about the clearance of the new I-75 bridge over US 98/SR 50. It's 18'8," but I thougth it was higher.

There is the possibility they might lower it slightly, though.

BTW, I drove through there yesterday, and the only remaining part of the old southbound bridge left is one set of pylons on the south side of the road. I should've taken a picture of that.

roadman65

https://www.palmcoastobserver.com/photo-gallery/exit-293-new-i-95-interchange-opens-matanzas-woods-parkway
Old news but on Facebook there have been some interest to the Palm Coast area recently as well as some not aware that FDOT created a second Palm Coast interchange back in 2016 which was inspired from the 1998 wildfires as a need for better access to I-95 from the remote parts of the city that are miles from the current Exit 289 exchange.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on June 10, 2018, 10:12:56 AM
https://www.palmcoastobserver.com/photo-gallery/exit-293-new-i-95-interchange-opens-matanzas-woods-parkway
Old news but on Facebook there have been some interest to the Palm Coast area recently as well as some not aware that FDOT created a second Palm Coast interchange back in 2016 which was inspired from the 1998 wildfires as a need for better access to I-95 from the remote parts of the city that are miles from the current Exit 289 exchange.
They also paved Old Kings Rd.. which was a dirt road with an overpass over i95 just south of the St John's County line

Z981

SP Cook

Just got back from a quick driving trip to Tampa.  Did the Jacksonville 295 to 10 to 301 to 75 deal. 

301 is just awful.  Plenty of pointless speedtrap towns, stop lights, dangerous at grade intersections, and quite limited services.  My question is why?  FL seems to have at least two upgrade projects going, including a bypass of Starke.  As this route is the best connection from anybody on the 95 side of the 95 or 75 to Florida divide who is going to Tampa or any place south, the road is very busy and highly used.  With all of Florida's toll roads, why has this been left out.  I would gladly pay 8 to 12 $$ for a high speed interstate quality road from Jacksonville to Ocala/

jwolfer

Quote from: SP Cook on June 12, 2018, 02:42:51 PM
Just got back from a quick driving trip to Tampa.  Did the Jacksonville 295 to 10 to 301 to 75 deal. 

301 is just awful.  Plenty of pointless speedtrap towns, stop lights, dangerous at grade intersections, and quite limited services.  My question is why?  FL seems to have at least two upgrade projects going, including a bypass of Starke.  As this route is the best connection from anybody on the 95 side of the 95 or 75 to Florida divide who is going to Tampa or any place south, the road is very busy and highly used.  With all of Florida's toll roads, why has this been left out.  I would gladly pay 8 to 12 $$ for a high speed interstate quality road from Jacksonville to Ocala/
I think this is being studied by Florida Turnpike Enterprises.. I think there will be a toll road paralleing 301eventually.  I think it will hook into the First Coast Expressway (SR 23) around Penny Farms

Z981

D-Dey65

Speaking of Florida Turnpike Enterprises, they're finally extending the Suncoast Parkway. The NIMBYists were concerned that they might build over the Etna Turpentine Camp Archeological Site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etna_Turpentine_Camp_Archeological_Site

In this case, I would've sided with them, but I still would've called for the extension. I don't think I'm going to like the new design, though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.