News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lowest numbered route you don't have a picture of

Started by TBKS1, January 23, 2023, 09:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Scott5114

It would appear that if I ever had a picture of a 25, it's gotten corrupted. So that's my answer. Guess I know what I'm doing next time I'm in Albuquerque.

Here's a 24 I took.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2023, 08:24:03 AM
Here's my first one thousand, mostly a variety of different shield types and weird one-offs. There's a few at around the 600s where I had pick some minor county roads to fill the gaps, and Alabama is loaded with those. Driving around Virginia can help load up on secondary routes past the 600s.

Here's the next thousand, which is only a little over halfway complete, but I'm in no great hurry to complete it or pack it with County shields.

In case anyone is wondering, stumbling onto Jim Teresco's site gave me the idea, once I realized I had the first 220 numbers, and so I logged them in Excel. Number 929 was the one which was the last of the first thousand to complete, and 578 is the first one which is a county shield (I want to say 15-20 of them in the first thousand are strictly pentagons).

Am I correct in my assessment that your answer is 1060, then?

SkyPesos

I normally don't take sign photos, so my lowest is 1.

EDIT: Just browsed through my camera roll, turns out I've taken a photo of a BGS in Maine with US 1 on it, so it's 2 for me.

Max Rockatansky

Has anyone aside me thought that starting a new "take it yourself"  shield photo game might be interesting?  I think it would be fun to start that over with the same rules given how many years have passed since the original challenge. 

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 27, 2023, 06:25:00 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2023, 08:24:03 AM
Here's my first one thousand, mostly a variety of different shield types and weird one-offs. There's a few at around the 600s where I had pick some minor county roads to fill the gaps, and Alabama is loaded with those. Driving around Virginia can help load up on secondary routes past the 600s.

Here's the next thousand, which is only a little over halfway complete, but I'm in no great hurry to complete it or pack it with County shields.

In case anyone is wondering, stumbling onto Jim Teresco's site gave me the idea, once I realized I had the first 220 numbers, and so I logged them in Excel. Number 929 was the one which was the last of the first thousand to complete, and 578 is the first one which is a county shield (I want to say 15-20 of them in the first thousand are strictly pentagons).

Am I correct in my assessment that your answer is 1060, then?

That's right.

Scott5114

Oh, duh, I didn't see that you posted that on page 1. I'm not awake yet, clearly. :P

TBKS1

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 27, 2023, 06:17:51 PM
It would appear that if I ever had a picture of a 25, it's gotten corrupted. So that's my answer. Guess I know what I'm doing next time I'm in Albuquerque.

Here's a 24 I took.

You could get AR 25 on the way to Little Rock too lol
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Scott5114

Probably more likely to be in Albuquerque first than Little Rock, but I'll keep that in mind if I do head that way.

Scott5114

formulanone1060
Jim284
csw182
TBKS1122
Hot Rod Hootenanny26
Scott511425
epzik86
WillWeaverRVA4
Hunty20223
pianocello2
SkyPesos2
BlueOutback71
GaryV1
JayhawkCO1

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 27, 2023, 06:32:34 PM
Has anyone aside me thought that starting a new "take it yourself"  shield photo game might be interesting?  I think it would be fun to start that over with the same rules given how many years have passed since the original challenge. 
Isn't that what the "Road Sign Uno" thread is for?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 31, 2023, 07:47:57 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 27, 2023, 06:32:34 PM
Isn't that what the "Road Sign Uno" thread is for?

Can't say, never played and just learned it existed.

Roadgeekteen

Probably 1, I don't realy take road sign photos. I take a few if it's something cool, like my first (and so far only) time seeing a speed limit of 75 or higher in Northern Maine.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Scott5114

Is taking a picture of a county road better or worse than touching it? :D

formulanone1060
Jim284
csw182
TBKS1153
Hot Rod Hootenanny26
Scott511425
epzik86
WillWeaverRVA4
Hunty20223
pianocello2
SkyPesos2
BlueOutback71
GaryV1
JayhawkCO1
Roadgeekteen1

Hobart

I don't have any pictures of any route 1, including Illinois Route 1, despite being so close to it. I just don't go out of the way to take pictures of roads I'm normally on.

US 2 and North Dakota 3 are on thin ice; they're in the background of my pictures of the geographic center of North America up in Rugby, North Dakota.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

jlam

Scott5114, you missed my entry of 1 upthread in your table

Scott5114

All the 1s...

formulanone1060
Jim284
csw182
TBKS1153
Hot Rod Hootenanny26
Scott511425
epzik86
WillWeaverRVA4
Hunty20223
pianocello2
SkyPesos2
BlueOutback71
GaryV1
Hobart1
JayhawkCO1
jlam1
Roadgeekteen1

paulthemapguy

It took me a while to compile the evidence, but my number is 268.  I have a photo for at least one route having every number from 1 to 267.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmrw3Mb2

Edit: I made a list of route markers showing one example of each route number I've photographed, below. Click for full view.

img20230302_22181795 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

oscar

I munched through my filelist output, as suggested by Scott5114. (Anything to put off doing my tax returns, huh?) My lowest route number with no picture seems to be 282. While I've clinched CA 282 in the San Diego area, I took no photos.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Found an Ind 26 and various US 27 shields.
Now I'm at 28.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Scott5114

Some new rows up at the top of the table. Wonder if Oscar intends to make a run for the very top of this one too?  :D

formulanone
Jim
oscar
paulthemapguy
csw
TBKS1
Hot Rod Hootenanny
Scott5114
epzik8
WillWeaverRVA
Hunty2022
pianocello
SkyPesos
BlueOutback7
GaryV
Hobart
JayhawkCO
jlam
Roadgeekteen

oscar

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 04, 2023, 05:52:51 AM
Some new rows up at the top of the table. Wonder if Oscar intends to make a run for the very top of this one too?  :D

Nope. formulanone has a lock on the top spot, especially since my route marker photos really thin out over 500. I'll settle for jousting with Jim and paulthemapguy for second place.

oscar

After some travel in Kentucky, my lowest route number with no picture is now 443.

I'm not home yet, so I might snag a 443 if I travel far enough south (the cold weather seems to be following me, so heading south might be an exercise in futility). Also, I have several months' worth of photos from late 2021 and early 2022 that I haven't yet processed, that might fill some of the many gaps in my coverage of the high 400s.

oscar

Quote from: oscar on March 19, 2023, 12:09:40 AM
After some travel in Kentucky, my lowest route number with no picture is now 443.

I'm not home yet, so I might snag a 443 if I travel far enough south

Which I did yesterday. My new lowest route number with no picture is 482.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.