News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Sorry to say, my mind initially split them into two signs:  one for a speed limit, one a BGS with Clearview.  Later, I did entertain the idea of a Clearview Speed Limit 40 sign, but wasn't about to hunt one down.  I am, after all, at work.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

drummer_evans_aki

If you'd rather see a Mountain Pass sign on the road than the actual mountains, you KNOW you're a road geek.

If you like Google Maps WAY more than Facebook, you are DEFINITELY a road geek.
Could you imagine getting directions from a guy with tourettes?

Roadsguy

At this point, I almost like Facebook more than Google Maps, and I don't even use Facebook... :spin:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

kphoger

If you've ever actually noticed an error on Google Maps....or any map....ever.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vtk

If you've ever compiled a list of corrections for a single map to send to a mapmaker
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Roadsguy

Quote from: vtk on January 10, 2013, 09:24:05 PM
If you've ever compiled a list of corrections for a single map to send to a mapmaker

I'd do that to Google if I knew they'd listen, or if I had the time and/or disk space to make the multi-terabyte list. :pan:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

rickmastfan67

... you started to clap loudly when you heard Sheldon Cooper on the Big Bang Theory started doing Interstate trivia. (this happen on last night's show where he hacked the Lenard's GPS to use Sheldon's voice and give out trivia)  The episode is called "The Bakersfield Expedition" if you want to go see it. ;)

yakra

* yakra heads to hulu immediately.
("Scotty was on the original series", he says, verbatim, about a second and a half before Sheldon does...)
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

DaBigE

You get annoyed when you're behind a squad car (or other emergency vehicle) with chevron striping that's angled towards the center of the vehicle and not properly to the sides.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

KEK Inc.

When I go mountain biking, I imagine the trail is a signed highway.  Of course, in more intense trails, that takes a little bit of creativity in the wrong times...
Take the road less traveled.

Roadsguy

I used to pretend everything was a road, from paths in a zoo to supermarket aisles. :spin:

Jim

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 11, 2013, 08:06:35 AM
... you started to clap loudly when you heard Sheldon Cooper on the Big Bang Theory started doing Interstate trivia. (this happen on last night's show where he hacked the Lenard's GPS to use Sheldon's voice and give out trivia)  The episode is called "The Bakersfield Expedition" if you want to go see it. ;)

... even more so when your wife just looks over knowing you're going to try to answer the trivia question from memory immediately after the Sheldon/GPS asked it.

I got 3 of 4 pretty quickly (Dover, Pierre, Juneau), wondered out loud whether the BBT writers were aware that CC, NV, is now on a signed interstate, and then remembered the 4th correct answer by saying "Oh yeah, we had lunch in Jeff City just last summer".

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

vtk

... there's a road trivia question on The Big Bang Theory and your first thought is to start a discussion on AARoads Forum about it.

english si

I was going to, but didn't know where to put it!

Alps

One I figured out today

You know you're a roadgeek if you go past your turn in order to U-turn and check out the signs in the opposite direction.

drummer_evans_aki

Quote from: Steve on January 13, 2013, 10:44:33 PM
One I figured out today

You know you're a roadgeek if you go past your turn in order to U-turn and check out the signs in the opposite direction.

GUILTY!!!
Could you imagine getting directions from a guy with tourettes?

cjk374

Quote from: drummer_evans_aki on January 14, 2013, 01:55:35 AM
Quote from: Steve on January 13, 2013, 10:44:33 PM
One I figured out today

GUILTY!!!
x3!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

AsphaltPlanet

When I was younger my Dad would make fun of me for always noticing when a road had been either resurfaced or restriped.

He had a distinctive way of saying "new paavement" and "new linnes".

When I was pretty fresh out of school I spent a summer inspecting a roads crew resurface roads in Waterloo Region.  I have always, and still do, really like the smell of freshly laid asphalt.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 14, 2013, 07:12:01 PM
I have always, and still do, really like the smell of freshly laid asphalt.

I think that's the fumes talking here. :bigass: LOL!

cjk374

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 14, 2013, 07:21:33 PM
I have always, and still do, really like the smell of freshly laid asphalt.

I think that's the fumes talking here. :bigass: LOL!

Asphalt smell gives me heartburn & indigestion....so does the smell of bleach.    X-(
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Alps

When I was pretty fresh out of school I spent a summer inspecting a roads crew resurface roads in Waterloo Region.  I have always, and still do, really like the smell of freshly laid asphalt.
This, and gasoline. Road projects in general, that earthy or rocky smell like something big is getting done.

CentralCAroadgeek

You know you're a roadgeek when your informational document for English is how to draw a map, along with a sidebar about the interstates...

You know you're a roadgeek if you draw fictional sign assemblies in your free time at school...

vtk

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on January 14, 2013, 10:34:42 PM
You know you're a roadgeek if you draw fictional sign assemblies in your free time at school...

I drafted interchanges all through middle and high school, applying a lot of what i'd learned in geometry class.  Often there was a city-area map to go along with it and give context; sometimes I drew up signage plans too.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on January 14, 2013, 10:23:26 PM

This, and gasoline. Road projects in general, that earthy or rocky smell like something big is getting done.

I'm the exact opposite.  whenever I see road construction I think "gratuitous speed traps" and "there goes the neat old infrastructure".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.