News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Just got my dream showerhead

Started by Pink Jazz, October 08, 2023, 10:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on October 09, 2023, 09:55:54 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 09, 2023, 02:59:04 PM

Quote from: webny99 on October 09, 2023, 01:55:25 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 09, 2023, 01:04:55 PM
My dream shower head is when I take the shower head off, and just use the pipe.  Except that the pipe sticks out from the shower wall far enough that I don't have to stand 1.5 inches from the wall the whole time.  Unfortunately, that last part never seems to work out.

So in other words, shun the entire "shower" concept in favor of an oversized, wall-mounted faucet.

Wall-mounted, yes.  Oversized, no.

A regular sized faucet in that position wouldn't produce enough water to do much.

You're talking to someone who has taken a lot of showers in Mexico, where household water pressure is commonly quite low.  Water flow that barely trickles through a showerhead can do a pretty decent job at cleaning your body if you remove that showerhead.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on October 10, 2023, 09:33:52 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 09, 2023, 09:55:54 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 09, 2023, 02:59:04 PM

Quote from: webny99 on October 09, 2023, 01:55:25 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 09, 2023, 01:04:55 PM
My dream shower head is when I take the shower head off, and just use the pipe.  Except that the pipe sticks out from the shower wall far enough that I don't have to stand 1.5 inches from the wall the whole time.  Unfortunately, that last part never seems to work out.

So in other words, shun the entire "shower" concept in favor of an oversized, wall-mounted faucet.

Wall-mounted, yes.  Oversized, no.

A regular sized faucet in that position wouldn't produce enough water to do much.

You're talking to someone who has taken a lot of showers in Mexico, where household water pressure is commonly quite low.  Water flow that barely trickles through a showerhead can do a pretty decent job at cleaning your body if you remove that showerhead.

Or randomly shuts off several times through the day for unexplained reason.  At the family house in Jalisco we probably are one of the few that actually has a hot water heater.  Whenever we visit we have to fire it up manually.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2023, 10:39:01 AM
Or randomly shuts off several times through the day for unexplained reason.  At the family house in Jalisco we probably are one of the few that actually has a hot water heater.  Whenever we visit we have to fire it up manually.

Having a hot water heater doesn't really mean much.  If it's a tank, then I expect the propane to run out.  If it's a tankless system, then I expect it to malfunction.  When I was there two times ago, our friends' tankless water heater system would only keep the shower water hot if someone else stood outside and pushed the reset over and over again.  Instead of that, I just boiled a big pot of water, mixed it with cold water in a bucket, and just didn't even use the running water at all.

Knowing how to take a bucket shower is a good life skill to learn.  The most important part is keeping a "soapy hand" and a "clean hand", so the rinse water doesn't get sudsy.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on October 10, 2023, 11:11:38 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2023, 10:39:01 AM

Having a hot water heater doesn't really mean much.  If it's a tank, then I expect the propane to run out.  If it's a tankless system, then I expect it to malfunction.  When I was there two times ago, our friends' tankless water heater system would only keep the shower water hot if someone else stood outside and pushed the reset over and over again.  Instead of that, I just boiled a big pot of water, mixed it with cold water in a bucket, and just didn't even use the running water at all.

Knowing how to take a bucket shower is a good life skill to learn.  The most important part is keeping a "soapy hand" and a "clean hand", so the rinse water doesn't get sudsy.

This one I'm referring specifically is propane operated.  There is a guy who makes a run through town every morning with a propane truck and a loud speaker.  Personally I've never found the unheated water to be particularly cold given the weather is 75-90F all year round.  My wife is more keen to ensure she has hot water for her showers.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2023, 12:38:08 PM
This one I'm referring specifically is propane operated.  There is a guy who makes a run through town every morning with a propane truck and a loud speaker.  Personally I've never found the unheated water to be particularly cold given the weather is 75-90F all year round.  My wife is more keen to ensure she has hot water for her showers.

Right.  But, when I'm staying at someone else's place, I usually only learn the propane is almost out when the hot shower water cuts out twenty seconds later.  The propane truck coming around daily doesn't do me much good at that point.

Where I travel, overnight temps in March get down below 50°F, and I'm a morning shower person.  In the middle of winter, it can get (and has gotten) down below 50°F inside our friends' house.  Believe me, I've taken some awfully cold showers there over the years.

Anyway, back on topic...  I hate it when there isn't sufficient water pressure to rinse my hair in the shower.  For this reason, most of the "good" showerheads I've used are actually no better than the cheap ones—because more holes often doesn't actually improve rinse ability.  In contrast, a bare pipe with no showerhead has excellent ability to rinse my hair, because the flow isn't dispersed between a hundred different little holes.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

There is a guy who makes a run through town every morning with a propane truck and a loud speaker.

This sounds like an ice cream truck, but far more flammable.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dlsterner

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 11, 2023, 12:36:39 AM
There is a guy who makes a run through town every morning with a propane truck and a loud speaker.

This sounds like an ice cream truck, but far more flammable.

Scott, maybe you underestimate their flammability ...

kkt

There seem to be more ice cream truck fires than I would ever have expected!

bugo

I take baths instead of showers because the shower head is too low for me. I'm not really even that tall. They make those things for children and midgets.

bugo

Quote from: kphoger on October 10, 2023, 12:46:36 PM
Where I travel, overnight temps in March get down below 50°F, and I'm a morning shower person.  In the middle of winter, it can get (and has gotten) down below 50°F inside our friends' house.  Believe me, I've taken some awfully cold showers there over the years.

There was an ice storm in December of 2007, and my power was out for a week or so. The temperature in the apartment got down to 49°, and it was in the 20s outside most of the time. I thought it would have gotten colder than that. The apartment must have been well insulated.

Anyway, back on topic...  I hate it when there isn't sufficient water pressure to rinse my hair in the shower.  For this reason, most of the "good" showerheads I've used are actually no better than the cheap ones—because more holes often doesn't actually improve rinse ability.  In contrast, a bare pipe with no showerhead has excellent ability to rinse my hair, because the flow isn't dispersed between a hundred different little holes.

I have no hair on my head, so that isn't something I have to worry about. But I have to have a decent amount of water to shave it.

bugo

the weather is 75-90F all year round.

No, sir. That would be miserable. I don't like it when it gets hotter than 70°. It was 63° this morning, overcast and lovely. I could handle 63° year round.

kphoger

Quote from: bugo on October 12, 2023, 12:19:56 PM
I take baths instead of showers because the shower head is too low for me. I'm not really even that tall. They make those things for children and midgets.

Yep.  A minor thing that bothers me.
Male pronouns, please.

corco

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bugo on October 12, 2023, 12:32:34 PM
the weather is 75-90F all year round.

No, sir. That would be miserable. I don't like it when it gets hotter than 70°. It was 63° this morning, overcast and lovely. I could handle 63° year round.

I would think the open air design of most of the homes would be what most Americans would have a hard time with.  There is no barrier between you, the noise, elements and even animals.  The high ceilings of those abode homes do a great job at dissipating heat though.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 12, 2023, 01:27:46 PM
The high ceilings of those abode homes do a great job at dissipating heat though.

But, if the ceilings aren't high, then those walls do a good job holding heat within them during the summer, such that it can be like sleeping in an oven.
Male pronouns, please.

SectorZ

hbelkins

OK, who's the prudish spoilsport party-pooper who removed my post? Where's your sense of humor?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2023, 06:17:25 PM
OK, who's the prudish spoilsport party-pooper who removed my post? Where's your sense of humor?
Who shot who in the what now?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

I don't know but, while I was surprised a bit by your post, it didn't seem to break any forum guidelines, so I'm not sure why it would have been removed.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on October 16, 2023, 02:09:30 PM

I don't know but, while I was surprised a bit by your post, it didn't seem to break any forum guidelines, so I'm not sure why it would have been removed.

A bit out of character for me, sure, but that thought crossed my mind the very first time I saw this thread and I'm surprise I resisted posting that comment as long as I did.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.