News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who Is Working United States Thanksgiving XI? (2023 Edition)

Started by ZLoth, November 05, 2023, 06:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on November 14, 2023, 01:14:00 PM

Quote from: epzik8 on November 14, 2023, 01:05:17 PM

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on November 14, 2023, 10:01:18 AM
Not this year. I work retail at Target so my store is closed on Thanksgiving. However since I'm traveling this year, I have to convince them to let me have Black Friday weekend off.

Sounds like you'd better hurry up and ask them...

A bit late.  Since this is Target, if I were the manager, I'd talk about needing more lead time to approve time-off on such a big day.  If I still had to disapporve due to coverage at this late point and the person called in sick -- given this is Target -- I might consider trying to get someone more reliable, depending upon other recent hiring experiences.

My first real job was pushing carts at Target (Roosevelt & County Farm, Wheaton, IL) back in 2000.  Management had announced that no time off requests would be approved for the month of December.  I was planning to go back to my family in Kansas for the Christmas holiday.  So I turned in my two weeks' notice.  The manager offered to approve my request and give me a raise instead—from $5.25 to $5.50 an hour—but I declined anyway.  I had recently moved and had to take the bus to work instead of walking two miles, so I simply planned on getting a new job closer to my apartment when I returned from Christmas.  Which I did.

Man, jobs were a lot easier to find back then...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ZLoth

On my first of three volunteer shifts for this holiday weekend.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Henry

This is my first holiday trip back to Chicago since 2019 (the year before the pandemic). I'm planning to leave for Seattle tomorrow.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ZLoth

Quote from: ZLoth on November 23, 2023, 10:59:54 AM
On my first of three volunteer shifts for this holiday weekend.

And, due to a last minute emergency, I'm pulling a double today.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.