Best Chain Businesses That Don't Have A Cult Following

Started by CoreySamson, December 19, 2023, 04:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

We have all seen the massive hype and hysteria that comes with certain charismatic business chains (In-N-Out, Buc-ee's, Wawa, Chick-Fil-A, etc.). When they open a new store, people flock from hundreds of miles out to try them. Other people follow them fanatically as if they were a cult. While these chains are usually pretty good, oftentimes they don't live up to the massive hype. But in this thread, I'm interested in the best chains that do not seem to succumb to this hyped-up cult following.

I feel the quintessential example in my experience is QuikTrip. They always seem to be clean, modern, hassle-free, and never too busy. They also offer amenities that I don't often see at other gas stations. I have never had a bad experience at one. Yet I've never seen anyone develop any sort of cult following for QuikTrip. It's gotten to the point where if I have the option between QuikTrip and Buc-ee's on a trip, I will take QuikTrip every time simply so I don't have to deal with the hordes of customers at Buc-ee's.

What are your favorite chains that don't really have a cult following?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Max Rockatansky

Publix because of the deli food options.  While everyone was going nuts over hoagies at Wawa on Semoran (when I living in Orlando) I just got my sandwiches at Publix.

hotdogPi

Market Basket (the MA/NH one)
Chili's
Uno Chicago Grill (edited in after initial post)
AAA
Santander Bank

I can't give any pharmacies or internet/phone providers "best" status, unfortunately.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2023, 04:53:53 PM
Publix because of the deli food options.  While everyone was going nuts over hoagies at Wawa on Semoran (when I living in Orlando) I just got my sandwiches at Publix.
Publix has a following, thanks to the TikTok Florida guy (omgwicks or whatever his name is).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on December 19, 2023, 04:55:24 PM
Market Basket (the MA/NH one)
Chili's
AAA
Santander Bank

I can't give any pharmacies or internet/phone providers "best" status, unfortunately.
Market Basket has a following.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CoreySamson

Quote from: hbelkins on December 19, 2023, 05:21:29 PM
Long John Silver's
Interesting take. From what I've heard, Long John Silvers has a cult dissing, at least where I've lived. Then again, I have never eaten there, so I can't really say anything about their quality.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on December 19, 2023, 04:56:33 PM
Publix has a following, thanks to the TikTok Florida guy (omgwicks or whatever his name is).

For real?  That's a shame because it was nice while it was just a normal day to day thing circa 2013-2016 before things like TikTok existed.

freebrickproductions

It's a tiny chain but Cheeseburger Bobby's seems to be one of those. Easily my favorite burger.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Scott5114

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 19, 2023, 04:47:52 PM
I feel the quintessential example in my experience is QuikTrip. They always seem to be clean, modern, hassle-free, and never too busy. They also offer amenities that I don't often see at other gas stations. I have never had a bad experience at one. Yet I've never seen anyone develop any sort of cult following for QuikTrip. It's gotten to the point where if I have the option between QuikTrip and Buc-ee's on a trip, I will take QuikTrip every time simply so I don't have to deal with the hordes of customers at Buc-ee's.

There's a pretty big cult following for QuikTrip, actually. They even have a name for themselves, they call themselves "Tulsans". :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2023, 05:52:54 PM

For real?  That's a shame because it was nice while it was just a normal day to day thing circa 2013-2016 before things like TikTok existed.

For a continuously-successful grocery chain that's now 93 years old, I seriously doubt there's a major change because some internet rando posts a few videos about it.

If we start seeing Beaver Store-like lines because people travelled multiple states away only to get to the nearest Publix, I'll be damned.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on December 19, 2023, 06:35:28 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2023, 05:52:54 PM

For a continuously-successful grocery chain that's now 93 years old, I seriously doubt there's a major change because some internet rando posts a few videos about it.

If we start seeing Beaver Store-like lines because people travelled multiple states away only to get to the nearest Publix, I'll be damned.

The giveaway will be if you start hearing people in line at Publix complaining about gas prices in Needles, California.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 19, 2023, 06:12:24 PM

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 19, 2023, 04:47:52 PM

There's a pretty big cult following for QuikTrip, actually. They even have a name for themselves, they call themselves "Tulsans". :P

I consider QuikTrip to be not just a cult here, but the Wichita city religion.  Folks would sooner switch churches than switch away from QuikTrip.  If two people want to meet up in a parking lot for whatever reason, and there are four gas stations near the convenient intersection, then it's guaranteed they'll choose the QuikTrip:  they won't even consider the Kwik Shop or the Phillips 66 or whatever, because that's just not where people meet up.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

I feel like the answers will be places that aren't worth spending your money at anyway. Some things are too big to be culty, like McDonald's other than the occasional weirdos who eat Big Macs 3 meals a day.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bing101

WinCo foods is another one it's a regional supermarket chain on the west coast.

-- US 175 --

Quote from: bing101 on December 19, 2023, 08:13:11 PM
WinCo foods is another one it's a regional supermarket chain on the west coast.

They also have a few stores in the DFW-north TX area.  They very quickly carved out a percent or 2's worth of market share when they first located in the area.  It has been a while, though, since they've added any new WinCo stores in the area.  Now with H-E-B making a bigger push into north TX, IDK whether chains like WinCo will want to make further outlays of new stores there.

Pink Jazz

I would say Buca di Beppo. I love their chicken parmigiana.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Does Wegman's have a cult following or not? Seems to me that they did once upon a time, but I haven't seen a mention of them here or on Facebook in years.

I've never set foot in a Wegman's.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2023, 11:57:45 AM
Does Wegman's have a cult following or not? Seems to me that they did once upon a time, but I haven't seen a mention of them here or on Facebook in years.

The lines and traffic jams that occur when a new Wegmans* opens suggests some level of cult following. I remember when the one just west of Fairfax City opened it was even mentioned on the WTOP traffic reports (though they avoided using the store's name, I guess because they don't advertise on that station—the traffic reports said "a new business opening along Monument Drive"). Insofar as I know, they don't offer any insane giveaways like Chick-Fil-A does, so I don't quite understand why people are so eager to hit the new store.

*They do indeed omit the apostrophe.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2023, 11:57:45 AM

Yes.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Panera is the fast food version of hospital food.  :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.