Amazon Prime - what shipping carriers does Amazon use for your orders?

Started by Pink Jazz, January 31, 2017, 11:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: sparker on December 23, 2018, 02:02:47 AM
most customers (including my own) do tend to prefer FedEx over UPS for anything reasonably valuable (their rates are essentially identical).

Not for my wife and me.  FedEx is the only carrier who has ever literally thrown a package at our house from halfway out in the yard.  I assume the driver didn't think anyone would notice because there was no car in the driveway, but I had merely taken the car to work and my wife was watching the driver through the window.

We were also privy to a situation that happened in eastern Asia about 12 to 15 years ago that soured our opinion of FedEx.  My wife was a live-in nanny for a couple in the Chicago suburbs, and the wife in that family ran a business out of her basement selling a certain type of item that she had manufactured in China.  Her shipments would usually come over to the USA by container ship.  One time, FedEx in China changed the shipping price to more than what they had told her.  After some back-and-forth between her and them, she arranged for her contact in China to go to the FedEx facility there and reclaim the goods until things could be settled.  But, by the time her contact arrived at FedEx, they had shipped it to the Philippines in order to prevent her from doing so.  Basically, they held the goods captive in a foreign country.  My wife's boss called the office of the CEO of FedEx, and his secretary called FedEx in the Philippines with this directive:  Get the goods on the first shipment out of the Philippines, no matter where it's headed.  All was eventually made right, but we certainly haven't forgotten the ordeal.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on January 02, 2019, 10:42:50 AM
I got a delivery Monday vie Fed-Up, er Fed Ex.
The dean of students at my college loved to make the "UPS and FedEx have merged and formed a new company called FedUP" joke during my freshman year.  That summer, there had been a strike by UPS drivers, and...well, either it was legitimately having a knock-on effect on businesses that relied on UPS deliveries to conduct business, or they were using the strike as an excuse to drag ass.  Either way, it was a pain for some consumers.

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 02, 2019, 11:47:39 AM
The dean of students at my college loved to make the "UPS and FedEx have merged and formed a new company called FedUP" joke during my freshman year.  That summer, there had been a strike by UPS drivers, and...well, either it was legitimately having a knock-on effect on businesses that relied on UPS deliveries to conduct business, or they were using the strike as an excuse to drag ass.  Either way, it was a pain for some consumers.

That's an old joke. I know someone who works for Fed-Ex and has never found the joke funny.

Nor does UPS appreciate being called OOPS ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on January 02, 2019, 12:28:45 PM

That's an old joke. I know someone who works for Fed-Ex and has never found the joke funny.

You should make friends with someone who works for UPS so they can confirm the rumor that UPS delivery drivers aren't allowed to make left turns.

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on January 02, 2019, 12:28:45 PM

UPS earns the "Oops" nickname.  Of course, FedEx is "FuckUps" to me, with the USPS being "Oopsies".

I've had to ship coolers full of of water samples, on ice, in one-quart sized glass containers from time to time.  I swear, no matter how much bubble wrap you use, FedEx somehow manages to break at least one in the cooler.  Then there was the weekend they decided to leave a few of these coolers out in the hot Memphis sun instead of following the Saturday delivery instructions.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on January 02, 2019, 01:33:58 PMThen there was the weekend they decided to leave a few of these coolers out in the hot Memphis sun instead of following the Saturday delivery instructions.
I bet they were still happy to pocket the premium you paid for Saturday delivery.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 02, 2019, 01:36:06 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 02, 2019, 01:33:58 PMThen there was the weekend they decided to leave a few of these coolers out in the hot Memphis sun instead of following the Saturday delivery instructions.
I bet they were still happy to pocket the premium you paid for Saturday delivery.

I think our company lawyers got the refund out of them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jeffandnicole

NJ.com had a story yesterday regarding Amazon's distribution warehouses.  There's about 100 of them in the country, and New Jersey will have 10 of them!  One of their newest ones opened just a few miles from me, just off Exit 19 of I-295, and its oversized logo can easily be seen from 295 while the trees are bare of leaves. 

Also, apparently during weekdays the public can go in and take a look inside the warehouses!

https://www.nj.com/expo/news/g66l-2019/02/c1957c0f4a9901/spinning-robots-are-just-part-of-the-magic-of-what-happens-at-amazon-after-you-click-buy.html

kevinb1994

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 06, 2019, 08:10:24 AM
NJ.com had a story yesterday regarding Amazon's distribution warehouses.  There's about 100 of them in the country, and New Jersey will have 10 of them!  One of their newest ones opened just a few miles from me, just off Exit 19 of I-295, and its oversized logo can easily be seen from 295 while the trees are bare of leaves. 

Also, apparently during weekdays the public can go in and take a look inside the warehouses!

https://www.nj.com/expo/news/g66l-2019/02/c1957c0f4a9901/spinning-robots-are-just-part-of-the-magic-of-what-happens-at-amazon-after-you-click-buy.html

I remember when they started to expand in the state while I was still living there (as it is the state where I was born and grew up).

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 06, 2019, 08:10:24 AM

Meanwhile in Illinois, Amazon is being sued because one of their warehouse employees had a heart attack and died, (allegedly) because they waited too long to call 911, either had no AEDs or didn't have anyone trained on their use (can't recall which), and then the receptionist wouldn't allow the EMTs onto the warehouse floor for several minutes after they arrived.

bing101

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.