News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-680 weekend closures

Started by jdbx, February 07, 2023, 05:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdbx

I have noticed that D4 has been more keen on full weekend closures to accomplish pavement projects recently.  A couple of summers ago it was on CA-242 northbound in Concord, and now they are going to be doing it for several consecutive weekends on I-680 northbound between Sunol and Pleasanton.  Once upon a time, it was more common for them to stretch paving projects out over the course of many weeks or months without any sort of full closure. I much prefer this more recent tactic of just taking the hit with an entire several-day closure.

Here is the relevant info from CalTrans: https://dot.ca.gov/caltrans-near-me/district-4/d4-projects/d4-680-paving-project

One thing that has surprised me is that there has been very little publicity around these closures.  I have seen no mention in the local media, just a few messages on VMS's near the affected area.  Even on the weekends, this stretch of I-680 is very heavily traveled and I think that a lot of people are going to be caught by surprise.

SeriesE

The same segment on the southbound side desperately needs a repave too, especially on the right lane

jdbx

Quote from: SeriesE on February 08, 2023, 02:26:26 PM
The same segment on the southbound side desperately needs a repave too, especially on the right lane

Agreed, it's in terrible condition.  That entire stretch between I-580 and CA-84 could use a fourth lane as well. I believe it is in the planning stages for adding a HOT lane to connect the existing sections on either side.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.